unable to purchase free item in marketplace

Lizzie Firelyte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hi, i'm using the most recent versioin of the second life viewer.

i am trying to purchase a free item (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Figgis-Hockey-Bears-FREEBIE-GOHA-Bear/3603038)  but it is not showing up in my objects folder.  i also don't have a received folder.  i don't know if its a problem with the object itself or my account.  i have already tried a clean reinstall.

edit 1)
yes i've tried clearing the cache, and 2 different browsers (i.e. & firefox).  the item just stays in the shopping cart when i check out.  i'm using windows 7.

edit 2) in response to the first reply...should i not have a "received" folder?

edit 3) i still can't find a received folder.

in response to my original question, i am now getting a message on the market page "Figgis Hockey Bears - FREEBIE GOHA Bear Version 1.0 could not be added to your cart, try again later." 

edit 4) @i click on check out, it logs me out, i type in my login, but then it takes me right back to the marketplace start page. meanwhile the item is still in my shopping cart.  i never get further than that.  now i'm not getting the unavailable message any more though.

@ i'm not using any adblock or other software with second life.

this is kind of confusing/annoying way to have to reply to threads...but i guess it cuts down on spam.

edit 5)
@ same problem with that one... i've been able to pick up freebies in game without a problem.  this is my first time using the marketplace.  could it be a virus protection problem?  i'm using norton but i'm pretty sure i have it set to accept secondlife with my firewall.  pretty sure.

it still shows the item in the shopping cart. it never finishes the transaction for some reason.  i've looked in my inventory as well it's not there as far as i can tell.

edit 6)
i only have an inventory and library folder, nothing under it.  and i have an objects folder inside my inventory folder.

edit 7)
@ i have tried clicking buy now and check out, same thing on both.   i have also just changed my norton to "allow" instead of "auto" on norton internet security and still no change. 

@ i've tried resetting firefox, i've installed chrome & tried the transaction there as well, same result.  still haven't resolved the problem.  i downloaded & ran the AdwCleaner but it didn't find anything.  i didn't really expect it to since i've only had this computer for a month....since it is a brand new, custom built computer, could i be missing a bit of software that i need for the "GUID" transaction thing?

EDIT 8)
DERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!  so dumb....this whole time when i had been clicking on CHECK OUT, i did not see the PLACE ORDER button at the bottom of the screen!!!!  so now it works, they're delivered to my inventory....in a brand new received folder that just appeared. so @ i guess i hadn't been completing the transaction.  but usually that's what check out means? LOL! i guess that's what you were trying to tell me.

*******just a suggestion:  it might be helpful for others in the future if that 'place order' button can be moved up to the top by the checkout button?********

thank you all for your help!  /end

8 answers to this question

I don't know. Does the transaction show up at your dashboard account page? You could contact the merchant. If the issue persist you could submit a case with Support. You could try using an Alt or ask a friend. I'm not inworld atm otherwise I would test purchase the item.

Maybe another Resident here has a solution.

Yes, you should have a Received folder.  It should be waaaaaaaaaay at the bottom of your inventory, under the Library folder.  It should appear the first time you order anything from Marketplace.

BTW, if you have been using AdBlock Plus to get rid of the annoying sidebar ads on these web sites, try disabling it when you are in Marketplace.  That might help.

Lizzie,

Are you completing the sale?

When you make a free purchase you are placed on an up-sell page prior to seeing your final invoice and picking a payment method [Yeah, I know dumb when the whole purchase amount comes to L$0]. I know I have more than once thought that I was done when I saw that up-sell page but scrolling to the bottom you will see the button to complete the sale.

Just askin'

Let's see whether this is a problem with Marketplace as a whole or whether there is something wrong with that particular item.  Try ordering this one.  It's free (and useful), and should be delivered directtly to your Received Items folder.   For now, forget about using the Shopping Cart, which can be flaky on a good day.  Just click the Buy Now button.  Let us know what happens.

And yes, it's an annoying/confusing way to respond to threads, but then this Answers area is not designed as a forum.  It's meant to be a question-response area for a single OP and volunteer respondants.  There's no better way to handle "conversation", although you can send semi-private questions/comments to individual respondants with the Permalink feature if you want.

Lizzie,

OK - if you are being logged out when proceeding from one step to another you have a problem with your Internet Browser software. It is losing the "GUID" transaction place holding information to pass from one screen to the next screen.

Things that this can cause by include Spyware Tool Bars, Trojan Software, Ad-blocker, overly aggressive anti-malware/anti-Spamware software, messed up settings on Internet Explorer.

Quick Fix & Test

1) If you are using IE, go to the Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Reset option and reset your IE browser back to the out of the box state. I would also check the [X] Delete personal settings option as well. Restart IE afterwards.

2) Next also remove any 3rd party Anti-Spyware software you have installed.

3) Scan your PC using AdwCleaner - Download from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

4) Restart your PC.

Now try to purchase from the MP again.

Lizzie Firelyte wrote:

[ .... ]  @
same problem with that one... i've been able to pick up freebies in game without a problem.  this is my first time using the marketplace.  could it be a virus protection problem?  i'm using norton but i'm pretty sure i have it set to accept secondlife with my firewall.  pretty sure.

it still shows the item in the shopping cart. it never finishes the transaction for some reason.  i've looked in my inventory as well it's not there as far as i can tell.

edit 6)

i only have an inventory and library folder, nothing under it.  and i have an objects folder inside my inventory folder.

Hmmm... If you just clicked the Buy Now button, it shouldn't have gone to your shopping cart at all.  Buy Now bypasses the shopping cart altogether.  I avoid the shopping cart completely myself.

I suppose it could be a firewall or anti-virus issue.  Norton can be particularly oversensitive.  If so, you should be able to solve that easily enough by making an exception for secondlife.com in both programs. 

Lizzie Firelyte wrote:

[ .... ]

@
i have tried clicking buy now and check out, same thing on both.   i have also just changed my norton to "allow" instead of "auto" on norton internet security and still no change. 

At this point, I think we have exhausted all of the logical explanations.  At least, I am out of ideas.  If you were behind some sort of corporate or campus firewall, I suppose there's a chance that it could be blocking you, but that seems like a remote possibility.  Try submitting a support ticket, identifying this as a Marketplace Issue.  There may be some server problem that I am not aware of.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.