Underwire bras on SL

tinaplick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few months ago I asked a question here (somewhat jokingly) about a statement I had heard about the number of wirefree bras on SL. Of course, it doesn't matter if a bra is underwire or wirefree on SL. We don't need the support and are not bothered by the wire which some find uncormfortable in RL,

Then I came across the marketplace listing for an underwire bra:https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MJ-Underwire-Lace-Bras/4081296?id=4081296&slug=MJ-Underwire-Lace-Bras.

My question: why would it matter. In real life real people go to stores and look for an underwire or a wirefree bra. It can be an important matter of comfort and support. But who would care in SL. You can decide matters of boob sag by the slider and the amount of physics.

This is not, of course, a serious question. I am just curious.

Rolig Loon wrote:

It's all, part of making the virtual world look familiar.  After all, why do builders in SL put unnecessary roofs on houses to keep out virtual non-rain?  Or unnecessary doorknobs on doors? It's all part of making products look "right".

But they are forever forgetting to put in electrical outlets for us to plug our appliances into.

My bread sat so long in my toaster it went stale and moldy!

Rolig,

Yes, it is a part of making the virtual world look familiar. Detail that is really unnecessary, but, for those of us who like realism, adds to the realism. That is why I make bras as I do (they are for myself and some friends, not for sale). I add ring and slider strap adjustments and rear closures. Those are things that you don't need on SL, but, since real bras have them, I add them.

However, and this is a big however, the bra shown in Tina's link is not an underwire bra. If you look at the bottom of the bra there is clearly a horizontal band that looks like the elastic band on wirefree bras. If you look at the links on my post at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Fashion/Underwire-or-wirefree-bras-on-SL/td-p/2097687/page/2 you can see some RL underwire and wirefree bras. Underwire provides support; if the bra doesn't have wire it uses an elastic band at the bottom for support. For that reason, wire free bras have that band but underwire bras can have a smaller gore (center, between the cups) and can be made more attractive. If the seller is going to say underwire, it should look like an underwire bra. Many in the marketplace do. For example: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/IrinaRED-bikini-hipsterunderwire-bluewhite/5020114.

This is a marketing matter, but I would never say in the description of a bra for SL that it is either underwire or wire free. Some women can't stand underwire; others feel the same way about wirefree. If it doesn't matter, best to leave it off the description to help sell to both types.

A few general observations about the SL marketplace. Notice that the underwire bra that I linked to has a picture of the RL bra that it is a copy of? IP law is pretty complex and outside of my field, so I won't comment on the legality.

Along the same lines, the descriptions used on some SL merchandise seems to be a word for word copy of the text found in RL descriptions.

Also, there are some bras in the SL marketplace say that they will lift or enhance you clevage. I don't think so. For that, they would have to adjust the sliders.

Marybeth

WordPress     Facebook

Thanks for the information. I see what you mean about the listing I link to does looks like a wirefree bra. I agree that, for marketing reasons, it would better not to say if an SL bra is underwire or wire free.

I normally prefer wire free bras during the day, but in the evening I wear underwire to get the support because my boobs are tired and I like a pushup bra to show some cleavage. It would be nice to have a SL bra that automatically changed the cleavange and gravity sliders when the bra was put on, and then restored them to original settings when the bra was taken off. But I don't guess that is possible.

"It would be nice to have a SL bra that automatically changed the cleavange and gravity sliders when the bra was put on, and then restored them to original settings when the bra was taken off. But I don't guess that is possible."

Yes, it would be nice but yes, it is not possible, AFAIK.

I have two versions of my avi that are identicle except for breast cleavage and bouyancy. I also use the "outfits". In outfits that are not low cut and wouldn't show cleavage anyway, I put the regular version of my avi shape. In outfits that are low cut I put in the shape that has more cleavage and more bouyancy.

Yes, for a long day at work in RL where I have no desire to show cleavage I usually wear a wire free bra that is not pushup but also not as much support as I would like. In the evening, after a long day, I want more support and would like to have the cleavage of a pushup bra, so I usually wear underwire bras.

tinaplick wrote:

It would be nice to have a SL bra that automatically changed the cleavange and gravity sliders when the bra was put on, and then restored them to original settings when the bra was taken off. But I don't guess that is possible.

It could kind of be done to a fashion but you'd need to wear a scripted proxy object and enable RLV in the viewer if using a third party viewer.  However, it's not worth doing because as has been stated, you could just set up a folder which contained underwired bra with a suitable shape and avatar physics and a different folder with different shape and different physics.

With my suggested method, you'd still need to do this anyway so there's no gain and it could only auto wear specific folders, not directly change the SL sliders but the effect would be the same either way.

RobertThorp wrote:

Perrie Juran: "
But they are forever forgetting to put in electrical outlets for us to plug our appliances into
."

Electrical outlets in bras? I could really get my fingers shocked!:matte-motes-evil-invert:

There's a new bra coming out that tweets anytime you unclasp it...

I can only imagine all of the improper uses of such a thing... But there you have it.

One could always put LEDs on the thing to make headlamps... actually headlamps...

As far as what matters in SL, one can just as effectively be a giant prim cube. Or wear a house on your right hand - and go about things just fine.

All for show.

"Electrical outlets in bras? I could really get my fingers shocked!"

I wish I had thought of that, and had the knowledge to implement it, back when I was dating boys who had overactive hands! It would have been fun to shock them when their hands started "exploring" :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

"There's a new bra coming out that tweets anytime you unclasp it..."

I could thing of some good uses, particularly if there was a way to program it to tweet according to your desires at the time!

"One could always put LEDs on the thing to make headlamps... actually headlamps..."

I like that too. Speaking of headlamps, that is one thing we don't have to worry about in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.