Sign in to follow this  
RudolphFarquhar

Online social interaction and self-regulation

After the Twitter "blocking" (actually muting, reflecting the difference in user capability between inworld and the feeds, although the facility doesn't actually work any longer, I believe; as for the forums well . . . ) debacle - now undone , I understand from my progeny - Wired ran an opinion piece which seemed fairly unhysterically sensible.

It suggested the following "tools" might be useful. What do you think?

Dismiss. People often block because there’s no other way to remove a tweet from view. If Twitter added this tool for any tweet (just like the one that exists for ads), there’d be less need to block right away.

Timeout. I’ve often wanted a tool that operates like block with a time limit: blocking another user for a day or a two and then unblocking. This would be a great way to short-circuit a hot argument without implementing a long-term block once people have cooled down.

Spike. I also frequently use this technique, which I call a “spike”: blocking someone, forcing them to unfollow me, and then unblocking them again so there’s no trace. This is a workaround; I’d rather just have the ability to remove myself from someone else’s follow list without notification. It’s like leaving a party without saying goodbye.

Negative Feedback, Positive Reinforcement. Twitter should be monitoring accounts that get blocked a lot (or receive other negative feedback) for sudden jumps in activity. If a user gets carried away, goes off the deep end, or misses their meds, then Twitter could step in: “Hey, we’ve noticed you’re getting a lot of negative feedback today. Are you okay?” Sometimes just getting noticed is enough to calm someone down and defang vitriol.

Block List and Redress. Twitter’s block is still incomplete. Where is the page that shows all the people I’m blocking? There isn’t one. How can a user send a polite appeal to a user to get unblocked? They can’t. Twitter should finish building the feature it already has before changing its core functionality altogether.

The "I" in the italicised text above isn't "me", of course.

**********Rudi**********

I think additional tools in Feed would be helpful.

I don't like twitter.

"Dismiss. People often block because there’s no other way to remove a tweet from view. If Twitter added this tool for any tweet (just like the one that exists for ads), there’d be less need to block right away."

I suggest dismissing all comments and deleting the account. Another option is to create hundreds of alt accounts and comment on your own tweets so that you will tell yourself what you want to hear.

Timeout. I’ve often wanted a tool that operates like block with a time limit: blocking another user for a day or a two and then unblocking. This would be a great way to short-circuit a hot argument without implementing a long-term block once people have cooled down.

Timeout will help you to save face when you've lost an argument that you never really cared about in the first place. 

Spike. I also frequently use this technique, which I call a “spike”: blocking someone, forcing them to unfollow me, and then unblocking them again so there’s no trace. This is a workaround; I’d rather just have the ability to remove myself from someone else’s follow list without notification. It’s like leaving a party without saying goodbye.

One word, coward.

Negative Feedback, Positive Reinforcement. Twitter should be monitoring accounts that get blocked a lot (or receive other negative feedback) for sudden jumps in activity. If a user gets carried away, goes off the deep end, or misses their meds, then Twitter could step in: “Hey, we’ve noticed you’re getting a lot of negative feedback today. Are you okay?” Sometimes just getting noticed is enough to calm someone down and defang vitriol.

Will Papa Twitter also read bed time stories to me? If I fall, is there a twitter bandage? Defanged is a good word choice by the author of the article. It means that you started crap with someone who you thought was a worm and they turned out to be a Viper.

Block List and Redress. Twitter’s block is still incomplete. Where is the page that shows all the people I’m blocking? There isn’t one. How can a user send a polite appeal to a user to get unblocked? They can’t. Twitter should finish building the feature it already has before changing its core functionality altogether.

"ALL the people I'm blocking". Exactly how many humans has this person found conflict with? At any point, is it possible that a person who is blocking 500 people. is the problem? 

Appeal? How can the person who blocked me, apologize to me. I'm not appealing anything. The author of the story must be something really special.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

What's Twitter? & Who cares?
:P

Twitter is yet another online environment for social interaction, as are these Forums.

Those who might care are those with some interest in the regulation of such environments.

Also those who might want to manipulate those environments.

**********Rudi**********

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Hmmm, did I miss some non-self-regulation?

**********Rudi**********

A very interesting article.  I am slightly puzzled by your subject line as I am not sure what you are meaning by "self-regulation" in this context. 

We've had many threads and posts discussing "Trolls" in this Forum and on the Feeds.  (I am only using the word 'troll' as a matter of convenience to describe those who harass or violate the Community Standards.  I am aware that it is not used in the Standards).

I struggle over this at times because I believe a free exchange of ideas is necessary for Liberty to thrive and exist and for a community to thrive.  But judging when something has changed from an exchange of ideas to an unwarranted or untoward  'attack' and needs to be censored (moderated) can be difficult at times.

I do know the advice we give to people who feel they are being trolled.  We tell them to ignore the troller.  But there are also times when I feel like telling people that they need to grow some testicles. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

I am slightly puzzled by your subject line as I am not sure what you are meaning by "self-regulation" in this context.

I consider self-regulation as being enabled by the social platform administrators providing tools to users so that they can, by their own actions, selectively hide their posts from other users, and hide the posts of other users which they do not want to see.

Not the appointment of user moderators.

**********Rudi**********

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

giggles......
I was kidding and my tongue was sticking out.

Clearly I'm not into Twitter.

I knew that - but others may not have . . .

. . . and it enabled me to make yet another point.

I am not into Twitter either, using it only to stalk my kids, to find out where my son got ****** at University this week and to determine whether my daughter is in her bedroom not speaking to me because she hates me or she is in love again.

**********Rudi**********

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I am slightly puzzled by your subject line as I am not sure what you are meaning by "self-regulation" in this context.

I consider self-regulation as being enabled by the social platform administrators providing tools to users so that they can,
by their own actions
, selectively hide their posts from other users, and hide the posts of other users which they do not want to see.

Not the appointment of user moderators.

**********Rudi**********

Well, I already do self-regulate.

I pick and choose to whom and to what I will respond to though my main focus is on the 'what.'

Having the ability to self-regulate in the Feeds could be a good thing.  But a person could mis-use it to their own disadvantage.  If all I ever read was the opinions of those who agree with me then the penultimate result would be my tuning into a hermit.  I would cease to learn and grow.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Me too!

It mainly involves trying not to laugh too much at how ridiculous many people are.

But I think more sensitive souls than us would benefit from some options that would allow them to emulate digital ostriches, and avoid the coronary stress that lies, provocation and bluntness can induce, even when viewed through lavender-tinted spectacles.

In the main, though, those same people are too stupid to learn how to apply the tools when they ARE available.

**********Rudi**********

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Me too!

It mainly involves trying not to laugh too much at how ridiculous many people are.

**********Rudi**********

That is a point at which we might diverge.  Whom and what we might deem as ridiculous may be different in some cases.

Additionally whom or what we may deem as offensive and/or untoward may be very different at times also.

Perrie Juran wrote:

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Me too!

**********Rudi**********

That is a point at which we might diverge. 
Whom and what we might deem as ridiculous may be different in some cases.

Additionally whom or what we may deem as offensive and/or untoward may be very different at times also.

Yes, both these statements are true.  But c'mon, Perrie, I know that you know stupid ridiculous when you see it. 

PS Stupid, too.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Me too!

**********Rudi**********

That is a point at which we might diverge. 
Whom and what we might deem as ridiculous may be different in some cases.

Yes, both these statements are true.  But c'mon, Perrie, I know that you know
stupid
ridiculous when you see it. 

PS Stupid, too.

Tis true.  :)

ETA, yes sometimes I marvel at some of the things people post.  I seriously wonder how some people manage to get out of bed in the morning with out hurting themselves.  But there are also times when I wonder the same thing about myself.  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Me too!

**********Rudi**********

That is a point at which we might diverge.  Whom and what we might deem as ridiculous may be different in some cases.

I think the point at which we probably diverge is less what we find ridiculous than whether we point it out to others, or not.

**********Rudi***********