Jump to content
Sparkle Junot

Exit issue - Corrupt graphics

Recommended Posts

Thank you, Whirly Fizzle!  I'm sorry you had to post that again!  I missed that last part about installing and uninstalling f.lux. It has worked for me! I will miss having something like True Colors or f.lux, but it's not the end of the world! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Workaround for those that want to use MSI True Color and have Dragon Center: Use the System Tuner option to setup a profile which you can set a key combination on.

When you have the distorted graphics issue again, simply press the key combination to force a color profile reset.

NOTE: Dragon Center must be running for this key combination to work. Do not close the config window, minimize it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week I took delivery of a new MSI laptop (GT72VR 6RE) with a Nvidia 1070 series graphics card and started using it to play Second Life via Firestorm.

Immediately I also encountered the same Corrupt Graphics issue on quitting the game via the normal exit route but found I can also quit via End Task in the Task Manager without (apparently) experiencing any problems.

From previous posts I realise the problem is caused by the MSI True Colours programme and that a solution has been found by creating a new colour profile for use when the graphics is corrupted.

However to a silver surfer techno-challenged person like myself, the solution looks quite complicated and I would be worried about tackling it.

Therefore would one of the more savvy experts here, please let me know if it is OK for me to simply continue to always quit Firestorm by means of End Task.

Is there any danger or problems with this procedure (perhaps creating unnecessary memory dumps, as mentioned above?) and, if so, how can I avoid these problems or dangers.

Many thanks in advance for all help !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


jaysondunedin63 wrote:

 

However to a silver surfer techno-challenged person like myself, the solution looks quite complicated and I would be worried about tackling it.

Therefore would one of the more savvy experts here, please let me know if it is OK for me to simply continue to always quit Firestorm by means of End Task.

Is there any danger or problems with this procedure (perhaps creating unnecessary memory dumps, as mentioned above?) and, if so, how can I avoid these problems or dangers.

 

Yes you can work aroun the problem this way.

BUT if force quit the viewer via task manager, you are essentially crashing the viewer, which means that any settings changes you made that session will be lost (most settings are saved on logout).

It could also cause you to have a borked viewer cache - cache is compressed and saved during the logout process.

This shouldn't cause any damage that a cache clear wont fix though.

Force quitting the viewer in this way will also register that session as a crash, so you are adding to the viewers crash rate stats  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for your very prompt and helpful response to my query.

I understand what you say about losing settings changes and I've already noticed and wondered about this.

May I please ask a supplementary question - will constantly using End Task to exit the Firestorm programme cause any problem or damage to Windows 10 (which I'm using) ?

And if there is any potential problem for Win 10, how can I avoid or minimise this ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jaysondunedin63 wrote:

May I please ask a supplementary question - will constantly using End Task to exit the Firestorm programme cause any problem or damage to Windows 10 (which I'm using) ?

 

I doubt it.

Your viewer settings or cache may get into a funky state though, but this can always be fixed by a clean install where you manually purge the viewer settings and cache folders after uninstalling the viewer.

It would be much better if you fixed the root cause of the problem by uninstalling MSI True Color and force a revert back to the default color profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand what you are saying about the advantages of doing a proper fix but at the moment, especially while I am still getting used to the new laptop and in particular the Dragon Centre, I will continue with the End Task procedure.

Hopefully in the future I will feel confident enough to carry out the proper fix.

Meantime, I am once again very grateful for your kind help !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the benefit of any other purchasers of a new MSI gaming laptop with the True Colors programme, I am posting this to say that the problem of corrupt graphics on quitting Firestorm resolved itself on its own immediately after I had completed all the Windows Updates and also did an update to the latest version of MSI's Dragon Centre.

I can now quit Firestorm in the normal way without any problems whatsoever.

I strongly suspect it was the update to the Dragon Centre which did the trick.

The message to any Firestorm user with a new MSI laptop who experiences the same problem is therefore to complete the Dragon Centre and Windows updates as soon as you can (and if you are using Firestorm in the interim to quit by means of End Task in the Task Manager).

I hope this is helpful to others !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whirly Fizzle, I seriously love you! Today I went through msi drives on their official website and found out about True Color because origianlly it wasn't installed in my MSI laptop when I received it. So I tried it would be cool to test it out and I regreted installing it. Took me whole day to figure out how to fix this issue, made me almost tear up. But LUCKILY I found this post and installing f.lux and unstilling seem to fix it. So thank you so much again. <3 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:21 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

To fix the problem:

Easy fix for this is to install f.lux from https://justgetflux.com/ , then run the custom uninstaller & allow it to set the color profile back to default.  This so far has fixed everyone I've seen with this problem.

Thank you easy fix work with my on win10 64,  problem solved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2016 at 1:45 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

To fix the problem:

1) Uninstall any software you have installed that sets a custom colour profile - usual culprits are f.lux and MSI True Color.

2) If you do have f.lux installed, run the uninstaller that came with f.lux rather then uninstalling through Windows programs & features or add/remove programs.  The custom uninstaller will give you the option of setting the windows colour profile back to default - say Yes. This will fix the problem.

3) Uninstalling MSI True Color wont totally fix the problem because it doesn't reset the color profile.

Easy fix for this is to install f.lux from https://justgetflux.com/ , then run the custom uninstaller & allow it to set the color profile back to default.  This so far has fixed everyone I've seen with this problem.

 

look, im not very tech savvy but i have this exact same problem. garbled colors screen glitch when i exit SL viewer. I dont know what f/lux is and ive never had it. but i just installed it so i could try the fix and now im stuck cause idk what the custom uninstall is. totally lost. im just gonna uninstall with control panel for now. please help. i need you to be more detailed and dumb it down for me cause i have NO idea what custom color profile is or MSI true color. please help. i have to restart my computer to make it go away after every time i quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ReesyTaters said:

look, im not very tech savvy but i have this exact same problem. garbled colors screen glitch when i exit SL viewer. I dont know what f/lux is and ive never had it. but i just installed it so i could try the fix and now im stuck cause idk what the custom uninstall is. totally lost. im just gonna uninstall with control panel for now. please help. i need you to be more detailed and dumb it down for me cause i have NO idea what custom color profile is or MSI true color. please help. i have to restart my computer to make it go away after every time i quit.

The latest Windows 10 update is causing this problem now.
* If you have logged out of the viewer & have the messed up screen colours, use the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B  to reset the graphics.
* Try the new LL Rainbow-RC viewer, which has a fix specifically for this bug - you can download it here: https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.2.3.527758.html

 

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a "simple" solution:

create a .bat file on the desktop

edit it

add the line: taskkill /IM dwm.exe /F

save it

run it as administrator when needed.

That line kills teh desktop manager app (and needs administrator rights to make it run again) so all windows and desktop will be closed but not your other apps.

It's like making a disconnection from your profile but without closing the other programs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

An even simpler solution is to download the latest LL viewer which fixes the issue and seems to also fix any TPV viewer that you might be using, since they access some of the LL exe anyway. (I think, certainly downloading the Rainbow LL viewer then cured the two TPVs which were giving me this problem)

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

An even simpler solution is to download the latest LL viewer which fixes the issue and seems to also fix any TPV viewer that you might be using, since they access some of the LL exe anyway. (I think, certainly downloading the Rainbow LL viewer then cured the two TPVs which were giving me this problem)

I highly doubt that, those TPV's probably updated as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing this now too.  Thanks for mentioning that the latest Windows updates can cause this, as I do not have any of the color profile apps mentioned.  Hopefully the various viewers will all incorporate the changes soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 2:27 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you have logged out of the viewer & have the messed up screen colours, use the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B  to reset the graphics.
* Try the new LL Rainbow-RC viewer, which has a fix specifically for this bug - you can download it here: https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.2.3.527758.html

Just follow the advice above.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...