Exit issue - Corrupt graphics

Sparkle Junot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After a long time away, I tried using SL again. The SL viewer as well as Firestorm and Exodus launches, logs in and plays just fine. But when I exit the viewers, every one of them causes total corruption of the computer's display - the system is still intact and usable but the display looks like some kind of weird distorted photoshop swrily rainbow effect, rendering the system completely unusable until restart. Then it looks like normal. This happens after every new launch of SL or any other viewer. Another item of note is that if you just launch the viewer but don't sign on and then exit, it does the same thing so it doesn't matter whether the viewer actually connects or not.

My info:

Second Life 3.6.2 (279258) Jul 30 2013 08:04:02 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.56 MHz)
Memory: 16368 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3182
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

Turning off basic shaders had no effect.

Using the Singularity viewer had the same exit effect: Desktop/system graphics were corrupted and distorted, albeit in weird shades of blue and black rather than the red, yellow orange, pink shades of the other viewers.

Ok, here's a weird twist in this: If I take a screenshot of the desktop after one of the viewers has been exitted and then restart the computer so I can see what's going on, when I look at the screenshot it looks exactly like what the desktop is supposed to look like. So in effect the system is seeing what is supposed to be displayed, but what I'm seeing on my display is some kind of horrible, harish, Warhol-Picasso swirly psychedelic mess.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I, too, just came back to SL after a long hiatus and got these garbled colors on exiting the client.

It was, apparently, f.lux.  Or at least it involved f.lux.  I managed to navigate to it in my systray and just mousing over the graph made everything go normal.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to necro this topic, but I too have this issue now with an MSI GE72 2QC Apache Laptop. (i7 5700HQ, GTX 960M.)

I don't have this f.lux thingy on it, at least can't find it in my files... I do have MSI True Color running though but closing it after the graphics issue comes in to play doesn't solve it... Only rebooting does.

Also interesting to note, when I was just in the login screen of Second Life and then exited, the screen went black, going to Sleep mode and back fixed this but Sleep mode does not solve the corrupted graphics.

Will see if I can trouble shoot it some more, worse case try to uninstall MSI True Color and see if that does anything, worse worse case completely reset the computer. I'll update this post as I progress through the steps.

Decided to bump rather than to update my previous post, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of attention for this issue. Maybe there's a JIRA, if not might start one, this is an issue that affects an entire computer and not just Second Life so I consider it pretty major.

Anyway, I uninstalled MSI True Color and it did not resolve the problem, only a full Recovery from my Laptop's factory provided image which is pretty much equal to reinstalling Windows solved the issue.

I would to truly test this install MSI True Color again since I also need it and to be sure, but I fear I will have to do the whole process all over again. (And Windows update 1151 is painfully slow, for some reason it took 5 freaking hours to finish...) I could try to make a Restore Point, but I wonder if it's powerful enough to restore so that whatever file or setting is causing the graphics corruption, is gone...

Also, the question here would of course be if Second Life is to blame or the color correction application, but since Second Life is the only OpenGL application that can reproduce this problem, I bet my money on Second Life. (I also made sure to test a few other OpenGL and DirectX-based programs and I didn't get the graphics corruption, this was done before the recovery from the system image.)

• Lindens

Minareth Irata wrote:

Anyway, I uninstalled MSI True Color and it did not resolve the problem, only a full Recovery from my Laptop's factory provided image which is pretty much equal to reinstalling Windows solved the issue.

By any chance, did you note the driver and software versions of the 980M and MSI Shovelware before and after the restore?  This information in a Jira would certainly help.

I definitely understand the frustration.  Fixing bugs that show up on particular boxes is a challenge.  Providing as much hardware and system information as feasible, beyond just the 'About' page description, is essential.

Should the corruption return, something to try if you can:  click on the control panel and set the color depth down to 16 or 8 bits and apply the change.  Then switch back to 32 bit and see if the problem clears.

I haven't seen anyone having this problem with MSI True Color before but your symptoms sound exactly the same as what happens when f.lux is running on the system - on exit of any SL viewer, the graphics driver crashes & you will get a corrupted display until computer reboot.

JIRA issues for f.lux:

Firestorm: FIRE-12561 - f.lux custom color profile will cause video driver to fail upon exit of firestorm

LL Viewer: BUG-4782 - Crazy colors upon closing

I just had a dig through Firestorm support tickets & we had one filed on Jan 2nd this year from a user who had MSI true color installed & was seeing this problem.

He didn't reply to my last questions though so not sure if he resolved his issue.

The support ticket isn't public but here's a screenshot with names removed: https://gyazo.com/1cab4d988a49b7eb0f0c679bae1ba08a

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like any custom color profile that is not "nomal" will cause the viewer to throw visual garbage and prevent the video driver from recovering.

Setting the color profile back to default should do the trick.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/restore-default-display-color/7553a387-0965-4639-94c0-b21af6ab1e8c

• 3 months later...

I have the exact same issue on a msi with colour correction and a gtx980m though after a fresh windows install it just goes black and putting it to sleep and waking it up works.

Also in my bug hunting i discovered that if you ctrl alt del and end process no bugs at all occur on exit so something in the close down process of SL seems to be the issue. Hopefully this information can be useful for someone more tech minded than I.

• 3 months later...

To fix the problem:

1) Uninstall any software you have installed that sets a custom colour profile - usual culprits are f.lux and MSI True Color.

2) If you do have f.lux installed, run the uninstaller that came with f.lux rather then uninstalling through Windows programs & features or add/remove programs.  The custom uninstaller will give you the option of setting the windows colour profile back to default - say Yes. This will fix the problem.

3) Uninstalling MSI True Color wont totally fix the problem because it doesn't reset the color profile.

Easy fix for this is to install f.lux from https://justgetflux.com/ , then run the custom uninstaller & allow it to set the color profile back to default.  This so far has fixed everyone I've seen with this problem.

I also have the problem on my MSI laptop, and am certain it is the true colour program that is the issue.  After a recent windows and graphic driver update, the issue appeared to fix itself, I was able to close down SL/FS with no issues.  Only after I noticed that True Colour was no longer working, and perhaps prematurely reinstalling it, did the problem start again.

Using task manager and using end task does prevent the issue occuring, it is only when closing SL correctly, that the pink and blue swirly mess appears, I then need to put the lappie to sleep to reset the screen.

So, if it is the colour profile that is the issue, is there a way to reset the colour profile to normal before startting SL I wonder?

Just to bump this topic again for the sake of MSI True Colour users who are having the issue.

Adding to my above comment, just removing MSI true colour did not help, the game still crashed the graphics card on exit (but not when using task manager to exit), however, I had noticed that after the last windows update, MSI true colour suddently stopped working, as it needed to be upgraded to a new version, which I foolishly did, and of course my issue continued.  What I have now done is, restored my system to the recent windows update, which again, broke MSI True Colour, then rather than updating true colour, I uninstalled it and now I can exit without any graphical crashes.

I got a brand new MSI GE62 Apache Pro yesterday, and and the same thing is happening when I exit the Firestorm viewer (the most recent version) freshly downloaded. I can't even take a screenshot of it because when I do, it comes out as the correct colors!

I tried uninstalling MSI True Colors, and it did not work. I also coudn not find f.lux on my computer.

I do have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M and an Intel graphics card, so I had to fix settings so that it would force using the Nvidia for Firestorm. I am wondering if when it exit it has a problem going back to the integrated card?

Sparkle, what drivers did you update? Maybe that is part of my problem?

For now, I can exit by using Task Manager/End Task without the problem occuring, but that can't be good to shut down a program like that. I already discovered "dump" files on my hard drive from a few times when I have done that.

Are there any other suggestions? Thanks!

To fix the problem:

1) Uninstall any software you have installed that sets a custom colour profile - usual culprits are f.lux and MSI True Color.

2) If you do have f.lux installed, run the uninstaller that came with f.lux rather then uninstalling through Windows programs & features or add/remove programs.  The custom uninstaller will give you the option of setting the windows colour profile back to default - say Yes. This will fix the problem.

3) Uninstalling MSI True Color wont totally fix the problem because it doesn't reset the color profile.

Easy fix for this is to install f.lux from https://justgetflux.com/ , then run the custom uninstaller & allow it to set the color profile back to default.  This so far has fixed everyone I've seen with this problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.