Can't turn left or right, either in mouselook or not

brandic001

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I'm not in mouselook, my viewer will not allow me to turn left or right using the arrow keys. So I can walk in a straight line. And I have the same issue when I'm trying to orbit the camera. When I do, it moves very slowly. It would take me a good 5 minutes to turn 360 degrees. I've tried the SL viewer, firestorm, and even some old emerald viewers, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my laptop (I usually use my desktop, and there's no issue whatsoever). Tips/tricks/suggestions are WELCOME

I've never used a viewer that allows rotating in mouselook via arrow keys. SL standard uses look strafe during mouselook, where left/right move your avatar sideways. I also don't use a laptop though, so YMMV.

Best guess is check your Move/View preferences for a sensitivity control, otherwise state your viewer name and version (obviously, 'old versions' isn't helpful) and file a bug report with the compiler (not with LL). And yeah, if it's unique to your laptop, I'd guess you have something to fix.

I edited the original post to clarify. I'm not concerned so much about mouselook. Not sure why I originally mentioned it, to be honest. When I try to orbit the camera or turn left or right (whether still or walking) it takes a long time. I can take a video if that would help.

Thing is, I've tried multiple viewers (sl, firestorm, etc) with the same issue, both older version and newer ones. Even followed the 'clean install' directions for firestorm. Thinking about pulling my hard drive and putting it in my desktop to see if it still happens

SL was developed in the 1990s, and first opened to the public in 2002 I think (beta?), fully open in 2003.

As a result it has a non-standard 3D UI.

Movement and actions here are different than those seen in pretty much every single MMO put out.

The rest of the world follows UIs based on Everquest's line (I have no idea if EQ based its UI / keybinds on earlier MMOs - but everything after Everquest seems to use the same UI / Keybind, and I "assume" that was inspired by EQ's success, and not WoW, as by the time WoW arrived the modern 3D UI / keybinds were already standard.

SL is like the AutoCAD of the 3D world - its controls make no sense to anything but itself, and no sense to anyone but its users. Its a dinosaur out of time, a peek into a competing and now extinct line of thinking on how 3D user interaction could have gone. For better or worse - the way SL does it got passed over when other 3D worlds came out because EQ and WoW were more popular among the developer base.

You've hit one of the many places where SL 'makes no sense for a virtual world' - there will be many more for you to find if you're used to any other virtual world out there.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

You've hit one of the many places where SL 'makes no sense for a virtual world' - there will be many more for you to find if you're used to any other virtual world out there.

But it works this way on every other machine that I have, with any viewer. My mouse won't even allow me to move. It's not a feature or a lack of being standard, it's a glitch, or a setting that needs to be figured out, I'm just trying to do that.

brandic001 wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

But it works this way on every other machine that I have, with any viewer. My mouse won't even allow me to move. It's not a feature or a lack of being standard, it's a glitch, or a setting that needs to be figured out, I'm just trying to do that.

Exactly.

As I said:

"You've hit one of the many places where SL 'makes no sense for a virtual world' - there will be many more for you to find if you're used to any other virtual world out there."

Hm, SL makes no sense? Why not? What's wrong?

Maybe it's because I never played any online game in my life until I found SL that I have zero probs with avie navigation. And I must say I found the avatar steering super easy and logical: arrow up/down = go forward/backwards, left/right arrows = go left/right. I would never think of maneuvering my avie in any other way because this is so self-explanatory and natural. So I don't care much about if SL was made in the 90s, in the naughties or in the stone age, it just works and it works great ... the way it is.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Hm, SL makes no sense? Why not? What's wrong?

Maybe it's because I never played any online game in my life until I found SL that I have zero probs with avie navigation.

If all you had ever used in life was AutoCAD... then Photoshop, Word, FireFox, Chrome, IE, Outlook, Excel, etc... would seem strange...

But if on the other hand, you had used other forms of computing - AutoCAD would look like a WT-heck cobbled together wack-job. It predates the modern computer UI seen almost everywhere else - it was one line of thinking, that was soundly ignored because other software sold better and got UI-copied.

SL is like that to virtual worlds. Its the oddball in the crowd.

People like you who have only tried one virtual world are rarer and rarer as time goes on. More modern folks have been around the block with MMOs and Virtual Worlds - because they are common now. SL is not at all special anymore.

Rather its an old, dated thing... with a UI that is different than the one everyone else adopted.

It is great the way it is for you... because its the one you learned first. But its not standard. You learned to let the horse ride you - other people sit on the horse instead. You can get to town either way... but for the mass of 'new people' coming here, they learned to sit on top of the horse... so when asked to have the horse sit on them, they get confused.

The differences are not extreme, like my example. They are subtle. But they are everywhere. The most blatent of them is the right and left click on screen. These are movement and action trigger in 3D worlds. But in SL right-click is action selection, and left click is item selection. The next most blatent is the 'r' key - which in SL does not do its universally known action: automovement toggle.

Then you have the escape key - which adjust the camera in SL, instead of opening the 'system menu' or backing out of an action.

And then you have the layout of visual elements - which resembles not a world, but a word processor (or to be more generous... resembles an image editing application).

What you failed to understand in my point is that I am not saying the SL UI is "wrong".

I'm saying it is different.

Hm, maybe you are right and I'm just an outdated middle aged housewife with no clue about komputahz. I'm even so hardcore I only use viewers with a V1 GUI and am on Linux OS to avoid any commercial software on my system. Further I have never used AutoCAD nor PhotoShop nor Word, IE, Exel or anything from MS ... apart from the naked Windows OS. Yes, I'm an odd person, having used my computer 80% as typewriter, 10% torrent pirate, 10% interwebz surfing.

Oh, why do you think SL is so  far behind other VWs? Most of the others are nothing but bad SL clones, using the same technology and can be accessed with the same viewers. I tried various over the years; Open Grid, Avination, Inworldz and some other thing. They all worked in the same way as SL and after looking around for 10  minutes in each I logged out, never to return.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Hm, maybe you are right and I'm just an outdated middle aged housewife with no clue about komputahz. I'm even so hardcore I only use viewers with a V1 GUI and am on Linux OS to avoid any commercial software on my system. Further I have never used AutoCAD nor PhotoShop nor Word, IE, Exel or anything from MS ... apart from the naked Windows OS. Yes, I'm an odd person, having used my computer 80% as typewriter, 10% torrent pirate, 10% interwebz surfing.

Not about being behind of ahead or whatever...

But different.

WoW, Everquest, Sims, and so on - countless other MMOs have gone one way in UI. Other Virtual worlds borrow from that now.

SL is an isolated tree. Open Sim - yes that is a clone of SL. But its not significant with so low concurrency and is of course - a literal clone.

When you are so different from all of the other computer UIs, you create confusion. Like a car that puts the steering wheel in the back seat, and the gas pedal as a hand control. Is that backward? No. But its different from the norm and will create user confusion.

My whole point on this tangent was and should be simple and self-evident: the OP was looking at SL and wondering why something wasn't working.

What they were trying to do was "normal" in virtual worlds like WoW, Everquest, Cloud Party, Sims, etc... basically anywhere outside the SL-tree. So I pointed out that in SL, things are different than everywhere else once you get past the log in screen.

And yes, if you've never used things like Word or Excel - that puts you in a very unusual minority.

Since we're going to be petty, I'll just say it. You're wrong.

What I'm trying to explain is that this is not normal for SL, period. It has never acted like this on ANY of the 5 computers I've had it on, only this one. It's a computer issue, or something incorrectly setup or installed.

I realize that second life is not your typical viewer. Check out Ayden Sivocci, he's my original av. You can see I'm quite an experienced user, been around for about 6 years.

I don't understand why some people insist that it's a PEBKAC error when it's clearly something software or hardware related, if you bother to look at the ENTIRE post

Furthur, THANK YOU to all those who have posted real advice for me to try. I've tried the suggestions, unfortunately, nothing has changed.

• 2 years later...

W-wait why are you guys talking about this when we're talking about a completely different thing? Its not about wether its different or not. This is a forum thread to fix a problem that came up. The problem at hand: This person can walk foward and backwards, but can't move left or right. Pressing "A" and "D" usually works, but in their case it doesn't. I know what they mean, because im stuck with the same problem. So its cute that you guys fight over who's right or wrong, but it doesn't matter here, move on to somewhere else please, we're here to fix a problem.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sometime later, in 2017..... I've had the same problem. It happens when I partially crash when crossing sim lines while sailing, and then suddenly, i can't turn  right or left, but i can go forward and backwards. This is how I solve it:

Go to the Advanced menu and click on "Release Keys".

You can get the advanced menu by (in firestorm) going to preferences (control-p), then the 'advanced' tab, and check on "Show Advanced Menu".

i don't know why it happens (losing the movement keys for left and right while the forward back keys still work), but clicking on "release keys" in the advanced menu sets everything right again (for me).

And yes, this thread got WAY off topic. I hope this helps someone with the patience to get to the end of it!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.