Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dresden Ceriano

Goodbye to someone who really made a difference

Recommended Posts

I tried to find this in English, with no luck

mafalda[1].jpg

1. Mafalda - But Libertad, you are puting it upside down

2. Libertad - upside down in relation to what? Earth is in space, and space don't has up or down

3. This that North hemisphere is up is just a psychological trick bye those whose think that that they are above, for those of us that they believe that we are below stay believing we are below. The bad thing is that if we keep believing being below we will stay being below. But since today, endofdeal!

4. Mom - Where were you, Mafalda?
Mafalda - I don't know, but something endeddealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tari Landar wrote:


A3123 wrote:

You people are all sitting at a computer and you can't be bothered to search for the names of the continents?

 

7 continents.jpg

 

I can guess your post was an attempt to put others down for their lack of map skills, or inability(perhaps lack of desire) to find a map that lists the continents. However, you should know this map is labelled incorrectly, and that alone will prove to invalidate your point to many people who would reply, lol. North and South America are reversed here. Regardless of what others may call the two America continents(be it one, or two), they don't magically switch places just because. They still remain right where they've been all along. They're not twins so switching places to trick people isn't something they could easily pull off. I'm also pretty certain that if they did manage finding a way to switch places, it would not be so friggen cold here right now.

As ******* stupid as the Berry Down Bypass can be, I have a feeling that he/she/it might have been slightly taking the **** out of the many (Americans AND non-American) geographically-challenged forumites determined to demonstrate their aberrant attitude of universal topologically equivalence as applied to spherical surfaces.

This is particularly ******* relevant in the context of this example map (obviously drawn by a pre-adult or perhaps by a pre-mature student of revisionist history) where the inversion of the "South" and "North" labels is overshadowed by the apparent belief that Greenland is a Continent, a world-view which might be challenged even by some Danes who still cling to a belief  that they discovered North America - and Greenland is it.

**********Rudi**********

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Vania Chaplin wrote:

I tried to find this in English, with no luck

mafalda[1].jpg

 

1. Mafalda - But Libertad, you are puting it upside down

 

2. Libertad - upside down in relation to what? Earth is in space, and space don't has up or down

 

3. This that North hemisphere is up is just a psychological trick bye those whose think that that they are above, for those of us that they believe that we are below stay believing we are below. The bad thing is that if we keep believing being below we will stay being below. But since today, endofdeal!

 

4. Mom - Where were you, Mafalda?

Mafalda - I don't know, but something endeddealing.

Did you know that Australian maps of the world ARE the inverse of those with which we in the northern hemisphere are familiar.

Another interesting geographical fact: Australians call Asia the Near North.

**********Rudi**********

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Holland we call the country Holland and as it`s our country we can call it anything we want, personally when using it as a joke I just call it europe`s deepest sinkhole :P

Regarding our own past, there is quite a few bits "missing" from our history in the books, the dutch were 100 times worse back in the area of dinkytoy sailer ships.
Ofcourse the English were on par with us, they just went to china aswell and got richer then us ^^

 

That map with N. America as S. America was quite a lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Alicia Sautereau wrote:

In Holland we call the country Holland and as it`s our country we can call it anything we want,

Do you live in that part of The Netherlands that is actually Holland, Alicia?

Lots of people who live in England call the UK, or Great Britain, England - as do many other Americans and non-Americans.

That doesn't make them right though. England is just one part of the British Isles.

**********Rudi**********

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


RudolphFarquhar wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:

In
Europe
and other parts of the world, many students are taught of six continents, where North and South America are combined to form a single continent of America.

That would be Continental Europe, which excludes the UK. We have better educational systems, particularly where geography is concerned. (I'm reminded of a headline in The Times: "Bad fog in English Channel - Europe cut off from civilisation".)

Don't you find it interesting that the maps labelled in English recognise the reality of two American Continents, whereas those labelled in French demonstrate how they still have a chip on their shoulder that they got kicked out of North America (except for small residual ghettos in Canada and Louisiana) by the British, and the Spanish got to South America first. Never mind, they still have the Central African Republic, Syria and Libya as semi-dependencies.

While we Brits have the glorious Falklands and Gibraltar!

Whereas the Germans have nowhere to retire to - unless you count Argentina, although that's all in the past, isn't it?

Congratulations, by the way, to Gibraltar on becoming FIFA's newest member.

**********Rudi**********

Why does Europe get to be a continent at all? Let's face it - it's a big lumpy peninsula.

 

 

MY, but that phrase looks provocative when you see it in print like that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Alicia Sautereau wrote:

 

Regarding our own past, there is quite a few bits "missing" from our history in the books, the dutch were 100 times worse back in the area of dinkytoy sailer ships.

Again, some perspective. Although The Netherlands were the last European country to officially end slavery (or one of the last at least), you need to look through 16th-19th century eyes. Appalling as it was, you can't compare this to a second half 20th century situation where racial segregation becomes part of a country's law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

 

Again, some perspective. Although The Netherlands were the last European country to officially end slavery (or one of the last at least), you need to look through 16th-19th century eyes. Appalling as it was, you can't compare this to a second half 20th century situation where racial segregation becomes part of a country's law.

Slavery was not illegal in the UK until an act was passed making it so in 2010.

I think the lawyers spend a few centuries on the actual wording of the law, because the existing definition of domestic servants (and potentially other service-related employees) overlapped that of slaves.

(Actually, the first part of this post is true, but I guessed the second part.)

**********Rudi**********

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course - my point was that apparently the educational materials of different countries have a discrepancy on this point; therefore, if a person runs with that (or anything else they've been taught) without checking on their own, we get the differing statements we've seen here.  As I mentioned, I was taught that Central America was a separate continent.

ETA:  When I looked this up I was surprised to see a lot of hits such as "So how many continents ARE there?" and similar titles.  I didn't expect that for an issue that would seem to be rather straightforward, strange maps with misplaced continents notwithstanding.

This reminds me of the scene in "The King and I" where the instructor from the King's court shows a map of Siam and Burma to the children where Siam is huge, then the English instructor shows a map of the world to the class and is confronted by the Prince (iirc) on that map's "error." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Alicia Sautereau wrote:

That map with N. America as S. America was quite a lol

That map is a hoot!!  I had no idea Greenland was that big and off the coast of South America, which somehow played leap frog with North America.  Greenland also looks a great deal like South America.  I'd love to know the source of that map...rofl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. That was my point in showing those maps, which a simple search brought up. There are several different interpretations of the worlds continents. Just cause someone writes a name on a piece of land doesn't make it so. At least Daniels got it, which is a very sad commentary on the rest of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:


Alicia Sautereau wrote:

 

Regarding our own past, there is quite a few bits "missing" from our history in the books, the dutch were 100 times worse back in the area of dinkytoy sailer ships.

Again, some perspective. Although The Netherlands were the last European country to officially end slavery (or one of the last at least), you need to look through 16th-19th century eyes. Appalling as it was, you can't compare this to a second half 20th century situation where racial segregation becomes part of a country's law.

You`re making as much sense as a duck, like I said, we were worse.

Can`t I even trash my own country in peace? sheesh...


RudolphFarquhar wrote:

 

Do you live in that part of The Netherlands that is actually Holland, Alicia?
 


Yup so it`s Holland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Alicia Sautereau wrote:

You`re making as much sense as a duck, like I said, we were worse.

Can`t I even trash my own country in peace? sheesh...

 

You can do whatever you want, but if you are going to keep posting the way you are, you can expect me to respond the way I did, twice. Stating things like "we were worse" or "Mandela was a terrorist" is exactly the black and white (no pun intended) nonsense that has no place in history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny if he'd been a member of the IRA a lot of people in England would be decrying him...the same in the USA if he'd been a member of Al Qeada....

 

The winners write history.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point of view, same **bleep** with every century, we can play that game back till the stone ages...

Why don`t you start putting some detailed facts if you insist of posting? actually, nevermind, POV circle or just general lazyness and want to appear smart.

 

You know what, we`re all saints in POV of *some* others, go argue with Orca about Mandela`s spotless history, f` this all and this place...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Funny if he'd been a member of the IRA a lot of people in England would be decrying him...the same in the USA if he'd been a member of Al Qeada....

 

The winners write history.....


I'm not so sure the IRA lost.  I'm not so sure Al Qeada lost.

With both, history is still being written.   

ANC won ... they are writing the history, I agree.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only looked at the link for a moment, the advertisements were distracting me. It's difficult to care about people, when I could be saving a lot of money with Geico.

Some of the Nations responsible for enslaving South Africa, are now waving a flag and pretending that they were with Nelson all along. It is not right for Nations to take credit that is not their own.

We're almost all out of heroes. I never thought that he was going to start getting younger and begin to perform acrobatic handsprings in the front yard. A truth is that another hope is dead and we're running out of quality human beings.

Can anybody think of a candidate who could replace Nelson? Al Sharpton, Lady gag gag, how about Al Gore? Right...

I would love to make roses out of a lose of life, but I don't feel all rosy about it. Plenty is left to be done, his death is discussed as if it is a closed legacy. We're all free, job well done! ...bologna.   

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move to America, we gots rights and freedom for days. Oh, you are American? Then shut the **** up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I commend you on your barely decipherable attempts to put people down within the limited constraints of the CG... you're certainly giving Solo and Miss Piggy a run for their money.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tari Landar wrote:


A3123 wrote:

You would commend hate speech.

Apparently hate speech is defined many ways, by many people.

Describe the color blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 people are required to establish a truth.

3 or more are required to establish a fact.

There is a scientific method, other people have put thought into these things. 33 past Civilizations spanning several thousand years. We're not alone.

What was the question again? I think it was, are you being civil? You're obliged to do so here but non-compliance is only a violation. Sharing liberty has its challenges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...