Global Map of Regions

AngelHorny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not one that shows all the private regions, but there are maps that show all the continents. 

You could of course make one by taking screen shots of the entire grid and the put them together as one texture in a graphics program.  But there are so many private regions that they are going to appear as just dots on your map.

I wish such things were clearer.  I remember having my skybox on a small plot of land and TPing to my favorite club every day to hang out.  A couple of months later I realized that club was about 1 1/2 sims away and I probably could have jumped.

When I first started SL and learned about the mainland, I had a dream that they had massive bridges that connected them and you had to walk from one continent to another and have hundreds of people to meet and chat with on both sides.  Sadly, that's not the case.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

I wish such things were clearer.  I remember having my skybox on a small plot of land and TPing to my favorite club every day to hang out.  A couple of months later I realized that club was about 1 1/2 sims away and I probably could have
jumped

When I first started SL and learned about the mainland, I had a dream that they had
massive bridges that connected them
and you had to
walk from one continent to another
and have hundreds of people to meet and chat with on both sides.  Sadly, that's not the case.

That would be so cool... and in places it's likes that. The atoll continent (Heterocera) has a several sim-long bridge spanning the neck of the 'lagoon'. It's nowhere near as impressive as it could be, unfortunately; more like a long pier than a bridge. It passes through Hagen & Rustic if you want to look.

The two old continents, Heterocera and Sansara, are connected, not by a bridge but by a strait of 4 or 5 empty sims. So you can navigate from one to the other without teleporting. Again, I think the Lindens missed a great opportunity by not building an enormous bridge here.

Also, it's always been slightly confusing how you might know which continents are which.  I mean, how would you know you're on Zindra?  If not for all the fuss over it back then, how would the average SL person even know what/why/who?

I always wondered why doesn't the viewer say something like Zindra: RandomSexyAdultSim (128 128 22) in the title bar so you'd know.

Years ago, I routinely danced at Bogart's with my SL ex. I some point, I rented a pretty cottage on a lovely sim. I was there a month or more before realizing I was one sim away from Bogart's, and the path was navigable.

One evening I invited her to the cottage before going out to dance. She TP'ed to my front porch as I was pulling up on the road outside in one of Arcadia Asylum's grunge metro busses, wearing a ball gown. She boarded in her gown and took a seat at the back of the bus as I drove away into the neighboring woods, across a few lawns and down a back alley to Bogart's. I ran over a fella in a tuxedo as we arrived, and offered to perform CPR on him. He graciously declined.

While teleporting in RL would be super neat, in SL it's truly the most boring way to travel.

Oh people, now come on, orientation in SL is so foxing easy. It's just a question of habits to get a sense of place and always knowing where you are. I always open the wold map if I come to a place I wasn't before. Then I zoom out and see on which continent or on which estate that sim is. And since I know where my home is I have a fairly good idea of where I am in relation to my home. We only have a handful of mainland continents, which are easily recognizable by their outlines and general layout. Also there are some other hints that are dead giveaways. In no particular order:

If you are on an adult sim you're almost certainly = Zindra

if you're sourrounded by many rivers or you find  yourself in a huuuge snowy area = Sansara

when you see many well-kempt hedges and lots of billboards on the side of roads = Corsica

many train tracks and a once beautiful lagoon turned into a fugly suburb = Heterocera

small peanut shaped, completely circumnavigable continent = Gaeta V

half-finished with lots of water on the west coast = Gaeta I

a totally puzzled ragtag continent with lots of badly laid out waterways = Nautilus

a huge fjord going almost thru the whole continent = Jeogeot

a continent that looks like 2 jumping dolphins = Mãebaleia

Also it must be mentioned there are also waterway corridors not only between Sansara and Heterocera but also 2 from Nautilus to Corsica and one from Corsica to Gaeta V. Nautilus and Mãebaleia are connected by the Bingo Strait and Nautilus City, so they form one big supercontinent.

Gaeta was planned as a setup  of 7 continents but they got stuck on 1.5 since 2009. Zindra is also only semifinished and will probably never get anywhere. As so often LL totally mucked up the world planning with hilariously expensive tier costs and wrong continental layout. Instead of incorporating the Linden Homes continents into the general setup of mainlands they placed them somwhere on the grid and by that created the most boring and undesirable places to call home ... ever. I call them n00b ghettos  :smileysad:

Orca Flotta wrote:

Instead of incorporating the
Linden Homes
continents into the general setup of mainlands they placed them somwhere on the grid and by that created the most boring and undesirable places to call home ... ever. I call them
n00b ghettos 
:smileysad:

Yes, the Linden Homes locations are perhaps the most boring places in the grid.  :matte-motes-yawn:

Linden Homes.jpg

Tank you for your posts.

I first wanted to know the location of my home regarding the other places I visited.

Now, I know a lot of new place to discover ;-)

Moreover, I see on the global map that there are a lot of virgin areas. Maybe we could use it on LL to lower the tier...

;-)

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

Also, it's always been slightly confusing how you might know which continents are which.  I mean, how would you know you're on Zindra?  If not for all the fuss over it back then, how would the average SL person even know what/why/who?

I always wondered why doesn't the viewer say something like Zindra: RandomSexyAdultSim (128 128 22) in the title bar so you'd know.

Somewhere along the line a small script was given to me (could have even been by someone on this forum...just can't recall atm) that can be put in a prim article of clothing (I think I stuck it in my hair) and it gives the continent one tps to.  I had great fun with it for awhile.  If you (or anyone) would like a copy (I'm pretty sure it was full perms) IM me in world and I'll pass one to you.

The Japanese houses were always the nicest.  My Sister Grimhilda had one when she was using her first account and, with my help, fixed it up rather nicely.  We even put in a second floor for her bedroom, with 1 prim sculpty stairs to get her there.  She used it as a getaway until she gave up her rental then moved onto my land with me (which I bought from her in the first place)... at which time, she dropped her premium status, at my urging.  I'm sure we both have old pics from there... ahhh, the memories.

Anyway.... I might hit you up for that script you mentioned, Czari.  I probably won't use it much, but it would sure be cool to have.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.