SL and RL genders

Sian2ndLife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Drake,

I don't see any links in steph's posts, or any other posts for that matter, that violate the rules. Perhaps someone who is picky could claim that your link to Steel & Ink violate them, but that would be picky.

Sue

edited for really stupid typo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Marybeth,

You really aren't supposed to put links to other websites in your posts. I'm pretty sure I said that before.

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising
: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum.
Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

I looked at her Blog.  I didn't see any products or services being offerred.

Did you look also?  Or did you just indiscriminately hit the RIC button?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Marybeth,

You really aren't supposed to put links to other websites in your posts. I'm pretty sure I said that before.

: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum.

No, I didn't look. I don't click random links. But thanks for assuming I RICed her.

ETA..

It does say in the Community guidelines " It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business"

Nowhere does it say it is ok to post links to out of SL pages.  But seeing as they were pulled by a mod, perhaps they are against the rules.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Marybeth,

No, I didn't look. I don't click random links. But thanks for assuming I RICed her.

I applied Occam's razor.  My apologies if you were not the one who pushed the button.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Nowhere does it say it is ok to post links to out of SL pages. 

Then why are we provided a tool for linking other Websites in the reply form?  Besides I think we all do things here all the time that are not specifically "allowed."  I do as I please unless it is prohibited.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

But seeing as they were pulled by a mod, perhaps they are against the rules.

Given how indiscriminately these Forums are Moderated that may or may not be true.  A poorly trained Mod may have removed them or may not have bothered to actually look at  them.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

It does say in the Community guidelines "
It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business
"

If I applied your logic above, "Nowhere does it say it is ok, etc," then no she could not post them in her Signature line.  She is not promoting her SL Profile or Business in her Blog.

For that matter, the link in my signature would be not permitted either.  It just goes to another thread in this Forum.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Marybeth,

ETA..

It does say in the Community guidelines "
It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business
"

Nowhere does it say it is ok to post links to out of SL pages.  But seeing as they were pulled by a mod, perhaps they are against the rules.

The CG also says, "Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service."

Nowhere does it say linking to your personal blog or Facebook page is not allowed.  Just because the moderators delete a post doesn't mean that it was actually in violation of the CG or ToS... it should, but in reality, it's unfortunately not.  I could give you a number of examples of posts that have been pulled when no actual infraction has occurred... just not here.

Why you would feel compelled to get your panties in such a bunch over something so insignificant, is beyond my comprehension.

...Dre

Drake,

The link on my page go to my Facebook page and my WordPress site. They are not commercial. I do not have any Second Life related business, so I cannot use them to promote any business. They do not violate the guidlines about links to sites that sell products or services.

I have read the note that "It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business."  That note does not refer only to links within secondlife.com; "information about your second life business" could refer to non-second life websites providing such information. It should be read as an exception to the paragraph above it. Since, because I do not advertise or promote any product or service, the subject paragraph and the note do not apply to me.

Therefore I conclude that my posts do not violate the guidlines.

I might add that most of my work as a lawyer is drafting proposed state laws concerning taxation. I am used to others being picky and I can be very picky myself. [note: this is not a solicitation for legal services] But using any amount of pickyness you cannot conclude that my posts violate the guidlines.

Marybeth

Drake,

Obviously you either didn't check to see if the links violated the guidelines, or you don't have the ability to understand the guidelines.

My work as an attorney (same firm as Marybeth, but a different speciality) is to write and review contracts. Often terms and guidelines are vague. In this case, they are not vague. It is clear that they were not violated.

Bob

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

I got banned once for including a link to a Goodreads review of a book . . .

. . . . in a ******* thread about recommending books.

Go figure.

**********Rudi**********

Which verifies my assertion that the mods here delete posts that are not in violation of the CG.

..Dres (That is, of course, if what you say is true... and a very dear online friend of mine is well known for saying that you can't believe everything you read on the net.  A sentiment in which I firmly believe... or not.)

RobertThorp wrote:

We don't know if he reported her, but shortly after his accusation her post was incorrectly pulled.

I wouldn't blame him. I once got a warning form a moderator for something I didn't even wrote. Just a hint at the professionalism going on here...

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Which verifies my assertion that the mods here delete posts that are not in violation of the CG.

I've seen this too.

Non-infringing posts are now sometimes removed wordlessly, without any notification or penalty. Far as I can tell the RIC process wasn't applied. I had a few removed from threads where I'd posted helpful links to SL resources, with only minimal snark (for me, anyway).

RobertThorp wrote:

Drake,

Obviously you either didn't check to see if the links violated the guidelines, or you don't have the ability to understand the guidelines.

My work as an attorney (same firm as Marybeth, but a different speciality) is to write and review contracts. Often terms and guidelines are vague. In this case, they are not vague. It is clear that they were not violated.

Bob

But I do understand the guidelines, perhaps it is you that don't. If you put a link in each and every post you make that leads to your personal blog and Facebook page, That is Agressive self promotion, which is indeeed against the guidelines.

Nevermind the fact that all of these posts after the fact are against the guidelines. "Posts questioning a moderator’s decision"

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

RobertThorp wrote:

Drake,

Bob

But I do understand the guidelines, perhaps it is you that don't. If you put a link in each and every post you make that leads to your personal blog and Facebook page, That is Agressive self promotion, which is indeeed against the guidelines.

Nevermind the fact that all of these posts after the fact are against the guidelines. "Posts questioning a moderator’s decision"

No one has questioned the decision of a moderator, we all know exactly what happened... there's no reason to question anything except maybe your faculties.

The links which Marybeth posted were clearly a part of her signature... there is nothing in the guidelines which states that a signature is defined as only that which uses the signature function availible to those who wish to use it.  It would be just the same as if I were to sign my every post with ...Dres (link to my blog), instead of just ...Dres, as I always do.  Only a fool would suggest that posting links to your own personal website or FB page in your signature, or anywhere else for that matter, would even remotely constitute aggressive self-promotion.

Of course, you've got every right to continue being pig-headed about this insignificant issue, but it would behoove you to realize that anyone that comes along and reads this (who isn't a complete idiot), will see that you are utterly and indefensibly mistaken on the matter.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.