SL and RL genders

Sian2ndLife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Drake:

"Perhaps her links should be in the signature line."

As I said before, the note referring to "signature line" is an exception to the paragraph before. Since my links do not go to sites that sell anything, that paragraph and therefore the exception, do not apply. Both the paragraph and the exception do apply to your link because it does got to a site selling merchandise.

If someone wanted to be extremely picky, they would point out that neither your nor my links are on the same line as the signature but are below the signature. But not even I am that picky. But, a link below the signature is covered by the exception.

Your posts meet the guidelines because of the signature exception in the note. Mine meet the guidelines because they do not go to a site that advertises or promotes merchandise or services and because of the signature line exception in the note.

Marybeth

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Which verifies my assertion that the mods here delete posts that are not in violation of the CG.

I've seen this too.

Non-infringing posts are now sometimes removed wordlessly, without any notification or penalty. Far as I can tell the RIC process wasn't applied. I had a few removed from threads where I'd posted helpful links to SL resources, with only minimal snark (for me, anyway).

Oh for the good old days.

When one post that simply said "YES!" was deleted and the poster disciplined.

Maybe they weren't really the good old days.

**********Rudi**********

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

RobertThorp wrote:

Drake,

Obviously you either didn't check to see if the links violated the guidelines, or you don't have the ability to understand the guidelines.

My work as an attorney (same firm as Marybeth, but a different speciality) is to write and review contracts. Often terms and guidelines are vague. In this case, they are not vague. It is clear that they were not violated.

Bob

But I do understand the guidelines, perhaps it is you that don't. If you put a link in each and every post you make that leads to your personal blog and Facebook page, That is Agressive self promotion, which is indeeed against the guidelines.

Nevermind the fact that all of these posts after the fact are against the guidelines. "Posts questioning a moderator’s decision"

No one has questioned the decision of a moderator, we all know exactly what happened... there's no reason to question anything except maybe your faculties.

The links which Marybeth posted were clearly a part of her signature... there is nothing in the guidelines which states that a signature is defined as only that which uses the signature function availible to those who wish to use it.  It would be just the same as if I were to sign my every post with ...Dres (link to my blog), instead of just ...Dres, as I always do.  Only a fool would suggest that posting links to your own personal website or FB page in your signature, or anywhere else for that matter, would even remotely constitute aggressive self-promotion.

Of course, you've got every right to continue being pig-headed about this insignificant issue, but it would behoove you to realize that anyone that comes along and reads this (who isn't a complete idiot), will see that you are utterly and indefensibly mistaken on the matter.

...Dres

Why do pigs get such a bad rap?

Back to the original reason for this thread. Besides gender there are also those that restrict their RP with people because of their RL age. My various avis, with one exception, look between 19 and 25. I was in an RP sim and the guy that approached me wanted to know my RL age because he didn't want to RP or get involved in any way with anyone over 30 in RL. I'm a bit older than that but use SL to do things I never could do in RL.

The whole thing comes down to in SL you are what your avi appears to be whether it's male or female, furry or not, or your age. When you enter SL, you really are RPing. There are very few who look anything close to their SL avatar in RL. So, in the broadest sense, you are something in SL that you aren't in RL.

No disrespect to your views, but no I am not RPing and I look not much different in RL as I do in SL aside the crudity of SL mesh avatar. I build and script in SL the rest of the time I involved with Universities or the Adventist church, but I in the minority as regards SL because 90% I know in RL. Some are in SL in professional roles.

Notice that I did qualify my statement, that most but not all are playing characters that look different than they do in RL. I've seen some that do and some are in SL for professional reasons.

A few years back I saw one of the online colleges have their graduation in SL. I believe everyone had an avi already as some classes were given in SL. They had the robes and everything, which I thought was a rather cool way of doing it since there was no way the graduates from all over the US could get together in RL for that kind of ceremony.

SL has like all genres of this type of social interaction, one major flaw. LL would have been fully aware when they started SL of that fact. If all the social boundaries are removed then every deviant will play out there fantasies mix that with RP,s who want to Captain the Enterprise and academics,artists etc. Then SL can not be quantified in a scientific way. Any meaning full factual analogies can not be met. 

As for the OP question, as I said how people live there lives is not my business, but social rules should still be maintained and enforced, SL that can not in a broad sense be maintained as can be in RL.

BTW: If men in RL want to wear dresses and makeup, I can not see what the problem is, historically it has happened many times and no one cared much about it.

It should be noted that SL allows the opportunity for many that struggle in RL with medical conditions, whether physical or mental (learning difficulties for one) to interact with others without prejuces from small minded individuals that unfortunately have not been deleted from the human gnome.

• 4 weeks later...

In all video games where it's allowed, I play my RL gender (female), but most men I know play the opposite of their RL genders. In SL that's a little different, but if a gendered male wants to play an SL female or SL TS to explore things in their own lives they can't live out normally (for what ever reason), so be it. I know several trans gendered, and gender queer people in RL that this doesn't phase me.

If you think about it, in real life there are six "genders" total. Male, Female, Trans-male, Trans-female, hermaphrodite (both genders) and then the gender absent. In some religions they break it down into 8 (male living as female, not identified female, and female living as male, not identified male), those are usually shamans or holy people.

SL gives people the possibility of who they dream to be. Some of us are happy on all levels and reproduce ourselves in game, other's feel the need to tweak, for personal or curiosities sake.

• 3 weeks later...

O tempora o mores!

It is totally unacceptable to use an avatar portraying something you are not in Real Life. Its betrayal, immoral, fraudulential and taking the piss.

Some people even take for granted that we are all stupid, they are insulting our intelligence! I do know the difference how (i.e) a dragon would comunicate. But some idiots who portray a dragon in SL are actually nekos in real life (or even Elfs). Hence fourth whenever a dragon approaches me for whatsoever (i.e hot sex with fire games) I will ask for voice and webcam verification, as I dont want to end up playing naughty stuff with a RL neko. Think about it: would you shag with your cat??

I have even seen somebody portraying a tree trunk! Come on, who are you trying to fool. We all know tree trunks can not type on keyboards. Some argue it is creative and imaginative to be something or somebody different then you are in RL! They claim it "broadens your mental horizon". Even this Rosedale guy was at one stage talking about "virtual identities".

What? Such a lot of bull**bleep**!

Who needs imagination? This is Second Life not Star Treck and "virtual identies" sounds very schizophrenic to me. Maybe those gender and species benders should go to a doctor and see whats actually wrong with them.

What we need is a mandory voice and webcam check prior to joining Second Life! Otherwise we will loose all the moralists, philistine, bourgeois and otherwise closed minded residents. We can not afford that, as they make a huge percentage of the SL population!

Ruthie Munro wrote:

If you think about it, in real life there are six "genders" total. Male, Female, Trans-male, Trans-female, hermaphrodite (both genders) and then the gender absent. In some religions they break it down into 8 (male living as female, not identified female, and female living as male, not identified male), those are usually shamans or holy people.

You're on the right track, or at least I can see what you're getting at. However I think it's more useful to stop pretending there is a limited number of available genders, and instead see it as a gradient or range - otherwise you will eventually find you need more than 8, 10, 14. People are very creative. :)

Another small point is that transpeople are not typically considered a gender of their own - this isn't what the organised groups of transpeople want. Transpeople aren't seeking to become a whole new gender, they just want their biological sex to match their psychological gender - two wholly different constructs. Transmen are men, transwomen are women, with no distinction from other men and women other than their medical history. I know less about genderlessness, but would assume people who identify this way are also not seeking to become a new gender either (much like how atheism is not a religion).

It's complicated, or what's known as 'multi-dimensional'. The trick to figuring it out is to not limit the number of boxes people can put themselves into in the first instance.

carolinestravels wrote:

O tempora o mores!

It is totally unacceptable to use an avatar 
portraying something you are not in Real Life. Its betrayal, immoral, fraudulential and taking the piss.

Some people even take for granted that we are all stupid, they are insulting our intelligence! I do know the difference how (i.e) a dragon would comunicate. But some idiots who portray a dragon in SL are actually nekos in real life (or even Elfs). Hence fourth whenever a dragon approaches me for whatsoever (i.e hot sex with fire games) I will ask for voice and webcam verification, as I dont want to end up playing naughty stuff with a RL neko. Think about it: would you shag with your cat??

I have even seen somebody portraying a tree trunk! Come on, who are you trying to fool. We all know tree trunks can not type on keyboards. 
Some argue it is creative and imaginative to be something or somebody different then you are in RL! They claim it "broadens your mental horizon". Even this Rosedale guy was at one stage talking about "virtual identities".

What? Such a lot of bull**bleep**!

Who needs imagination? This is Second Life not Star Treck and "virtual identies" sounds very schizophrenic to me. 
Maybe those gender and species benders should go to a doctor and see whats actually wrong with them.

What we need is a mandory voice and webcam check prior to joining Second Life! Otherwise we will loose all the moralists, philistine, bourgeois and otherwise closed minded residents. We can not afford that, as they make a huge percentage of the SL population!

rofl.gif

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.