2nd ALT to share main account

cuffley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As many might agree, some main account holders probally have a 2nd Alt, I like to belive that in most cases this not for devous reasons but would it not be nice if Lindens allowed one account memership holder to be able to have more than one Alt to share the account, IEEE the land, money. I would think is a good idea what are your thoughts

While for alot of good reasons 2 or more avatars share the same account would be helpful, how far to go then.

Share inventory for builders ? What´s about no copy no trans items ...

You can "share money" with a scripted safe, land with set to group and so on.

Other problems like building with your alt then make your main as the creator would help but raise tons of other problems.

Monti

yes very good point,s  I was thinking maybe the money and the land, as right with perms one can build on other persons land with thier permission. maybe sharing  no transfer/ share would pose a problem but I could live with that

You can already

• use the same PIOF contact information on your alt as your main
  • transfer funds between main and alt accounts by paying direct or through a scripted object. 
  • can give all owner rights to your land to an alt by forming a group, making your alt an owner and deeding your land to the group.
  • pass anything that you have created back and forth between your alt and your main as long as it doesn't include any items that you purchased.
  •  transfer transferable items that are not full perm to any account you choose
  • transfer full perm items you did not create yourself if you have a license that says you can or the original creators permission.

You can't

• share a premium account with an alt,  That wouldn't be in LL's interest not likely to happen.  Your alt needs their own.
  • transfer no transfer items under any circumstance because you do not have a license to do so. ,Only the creator can send a copy to your alt for free, which is not in the creators interest.  However, other than avatar attachments, skins hair and clothes, many items such as vehicles, homes furniture etc. can be rezzed in world and shared with your alt, by giving them owner type access through a menu or config card.  Many other such items allow anyone to use them also.

So other than LL giving you two or more avatars under the same premium account, or disregarding the licenses of creators who own the IP right to what they created, neither of which will or can happen, I am curious what you hope to gain by sharing a main account with an alt.

• Like 1

A sharing of one account would have its adantages , but I can understand why LL would never do this and that would be that more than one person could share an account and its privileages thus depriving LL of a potenual customer opening thier own account.

As for clothes and other items, I can understand that sharing would be an isssue but am sure with the perms in place at the moment this would not be capable.

I just feel having two alts of one account is a good idea for what ever reason.

cuffley wrote:

I just feel having two alts of one account is a good idea for what ever reason.

This would be an expensive and massive undertaking as the way their website and accounting system works would have to be changed and how ownership works  in SL would have to be changed.  Basically a re write of most of the software code.  Sorry, but I doubt "what ever reason" is a good enough one for LL to even consider it.

I have alts so I can have multiple avatars logged in at the same time. Multiple avatars on the same account, only one of which can be in world at the same time, is therefore useless to me.

And multiple avatars on the same account, both of which can be logged in at once, hmm, I foresee trouble.

Also, how could this reflect in ownership of items? Right now the owner and creator of something are shown including account name and display name. If you had multiple separate avatars, separate individuals with each their own (I suppose) groups, contacts, etc. etc., that whole system comes crashing down.

You'd need to start redoing the entire account system so the avatars are truly separate entities, and the account name (which is now the avatar name and always shown) is no longer displayed at all. Which'd lead to all kind of trouble as display names can now be duplicated (I know at least a dozen Kittys for example, quite a few Dinas, etc. etc.).

Or alternatively, you'd do as you do now, use outfits to save different looks for yourself.

2nd alt??? Huh? As it stands now you can't even have your 1st alt share an account with your main. BTW, according to the lab there are no main and alt accounts, every avatar in SL stands for itself and has the same rights and duties as anyone else.

• Like 1

cuffley wrote:

yes I get your point, what I mean then is having two avatars sharing the same account.   hope that clears it

you mean sharing the same inventory basically..

they can already share land through groups..

and money through sending it to the other..

about the only thing left would be inventory..

good luck trying not to start a revolt with many users alone on that.. hehehe

too many content creators would flip a lid on that..

what examples from other worlds would give a good idea of what you are talking about?

i'm trying to think of other worlds or games that do something like this..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

cuffley wrote:

yes I get your point, what I mean then is having two avatars sharing the same account.   hope that clears it

what examples from other worlds would give a good idea of what you are talking about?

i'm trying to think of other worlds or games that do something like this..

Guidwars 2 has a mix. There's an avatar specific inventory there, as well as an account inventory shared between avatars.

And similar with items, you can have items that are trans between accounts, trans between avatars on an account, and soulbound to a specific avatar.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I wanted to know how can some people be at the same time, in the same place with 5 alts. I happened to see this in a sim that has a vault that gives lindens, and they were all there with different names, sharing the last name and the date they were created, and they looked the same. Of course, they got the benefits of the vault far more times than the rest of us there. Since a vault is there to generate traffic, it does not seem fair to me that people are allowed to do this. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Yokasta47 said:

What do you think?

i think this is a very old thread, reanimated for a reason perhaps, but the subject passed more statiions during the years than available at all the worlds railroads.

Discussions about traffic pop up often, perhaps join one that recently opened?

On 4/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, Yokasta47 said:

I wanted to know how can some people be at the same time, in the same place with 5 alts. 

My computer has enough memory to log in 4 people at once.... But the real point is.... WHY are you Necroing a 4 year old unrelated thread? Why not just start a new one?

On 27/04/2018 at 3:48 AM, Yokasta47 said:

I wanted to know how can some people be at the same time, in the same place with 5 alts.

Either the person has a computer powerful enough to run 6 full viewers at once, multiple devices they can log in with, or they use a full viewer for their main and a light weight text viewer for the alts

There are some pretty low resorces text only viewers... as long as you do not need to interact with more than text those would do... you can most likely log in 10 users or more with those before seeing big effects in performance...

PS: ahh vault hunt cheaters? You can try to report them to the landowner, those are most likely not the persons they don't want to attract... some react allergic to bots others will tell you "traffic is traffic" you will not be able to know what kind of person the landowner is though...

Edited by Fionalein

On 4/26/2018 at 7:48 PM, Yokasta47 said:

I wanted to know how can some people be at the same time, in the same place with 5 alts. I happened to see this in a sim that has a vault that gives lindens, and they were all there with different names, sharing the last name and the date they were created, and they looked the same. Of course, they got the benefits of the vault far more times than the rest of us there. Since a vault is there to generate traffic, it does not seem fair to me that people are allowed to do this. What do you think?

There are no rules against it. If the person giving the money out wanted to "ban alts" (it's been done but of course doesn't really work in EITHER direction). The folks with the alts are just playing the game and using what the can do; obviously they are not being secretive about it LOL. You can always go to the realms where there ARE alts there but they can't run around all at once :D.

Anyone with a fairly good computer can run several alts at one time. Turning you LOD down to 2 or below helps, cutting down on your draw distance etc.  I haven't had any issues at all running mine for a very long time and my computer while hefty is also two years old so NOT the top of the line for sure. 

Also, some folks have several computers. I have a notebook but while I installed FS on it when I first got it and logged in, I have never actually USED it for SL. It is there in case my big machine breaks and I really need to get inworld. 

I had to do a search to find out what these "vaults" are. I'd never heard of them. If what I found is correct - that you wait until your name's first letter shows, click something, and then answer a simple question - I don't think it could be done with text-only viewers, or a bot programme, because the letter is no doubt a graphic and would need to be seen, although a bot programme could continuously click on the object, knowing that the bot's letter would come up sooner or later.

The most likely way it happened is what people have suggested - multiple viewers, and someone at the keyboard. I often have 3, and occasionally 4, viewers running without any need to lower any settings, and I have a mediocre machine that's many years old - i5 with average memory. Above 4 viewers, I'd probably need to set some viewer settings very low if I wanted any of them to move smoothly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.