Deploys for the week of 2013-12-02

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel will be updated to get the server maintenance project that was on BlueSteel and LeTigre last week. This project includes a number of bug fixes and some changes to script behavior.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.11.19.284082

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-12-03 05:00-11:00 PST

Second Life RC BlueSteel, RC LeTigre, and RC Magnum:

All three RC channels are on a new server maintenance project.  This project includes a few miscellaneous bug fixes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.11.22.284268
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.11.22.284268
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.11.22.284268

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-12-04 07:00-10:30 PST

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Let's hope that in the process you fix some of the problems with missing inventory, failed teleports even inside a sim, lag, crashes and slow or aborted log ins that have plagued us since the last restart.  At this point SL is becoming more bother than its worth and the impact of this instability is more than apparent in the decreased numbers or veteran players online and the continued decline of what little business is left in SL.  It is one thing to upgrade and improve a system but when you take on this task you need to make sure what you are doing is actually working and stop assuming that that people are not using these forums because thay are satisfied with LLs performance when actually they simply have come to believe that their input is neither wanted or listened to.

It's nice to have you back, Lydia. Let me review your issues:

1. Missing inventory - I haven't had this problem.
  2. Failed teleports even inside a sim - I haven't had this problem.
  3. Lag - SL serves only the finest, hand crafted, vintage lag lovingly aged in charred oak barrels in the caves and caverns deep inside the original LL mainland regions.
  4. Crashes - I haven't had any crashes.
  5. Slow or aborted log ins - I haven't had this problem.

To try to resolve these issues you could:

• Make sure you're connected by ethernet cable rather than Wifi
  • Check your ping
  • Check your bandwidth
  • Reboot your modem
  • Cycle your router
  • Confirm your computer meets the minimum specs to run SL

If you desire further assistance please post your:

• Computer specs
  • Internet connection type and speed
  • The viewer and version you are using

I look forward to your reply.

In region "Drawbridge" my viewer is crashing almost instantly after pulling up the "Help - About Second Life" menu. Drawbridge is on Magnum as of the last time I could check. The crash happens with multiple avatars in this region but doesn't happen in other regions, including other regions on the Magnum channel.

Looks like the bug is really with Second Life 3.6.12 (284430), the maintenance RC.

On that version I can get the Help>About crash in Drawbridge. I also got it to happen just down the road, in Gallinas, running on LeTigre.

The trail of the log is

2013-12-05T01:46:37Z llui/llpanel.cpp(621) : error2013-12-05T01:46:37Z ERROR: LLPanel::getString: Failed to find string ErrorFetchingServerReleaseNotesURL in panel floater_about

and sure enough, there were some major changes to that version's floater_about.xml and that tag is missing,

The same viewer doesn't crash at my house, which is also on Magnum, presumably because it managed to fetch the release notes OK there.

It's not crashing with Second Life 3.6.11 (283787), or Firestorm or Singularity.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Looks like the bug is really with Second Life 3.6.12 (284430), the maintenance RC.

On that version I can get the Help>About crash in Drawbridge. I also got it to happen just down the road, in Gallinas, running on LeTigre.

The trail of the log is

2013-12-05T01:46:37Z llui/llpanel.cpp(621) : error2013-12-05T01:46:37Z ERROR: LLPanel::getString: Failed to find string ErrorFetchingServerReleaseNotesURL in panel floater_about

and sure enough, there were some major changes to that version's floater_about.xml and that tag is missing,

The same viewer doesn't crash at my house, which is also on Magnum, presumably because it managed to fetch the release notes OK there.

It's not crashing with Second Life 3.6.11 (283787), or Firestorm or Singularity.

I was using the maintenance viewer as well.

I know this isn't really your department but don't know who else to bug. 

The Billing maintenance started Tuesday has never been marked completed.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2013/12/02/post2124/

Scheduled Billing Maintenance

[postED 9:09 PM PST, 02 December 2013] We will be performing scheduled maintenance on our billing engine Tuesday, December 3, 2013 beginning at 9:00 AM PST. During this time our billing services including LindeX and Marketplace, will not be available. Please continue to check this blog for updates.

ETA:  IS NOW MARKED RESOLVED:)

@Maestro

Following on from Perries's complaint about the GSP, I have another apparently unresolved, perhaps unstarted piece of work:

[postED] Scheduled System Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on December 4th, 2013 at 07:04 pm PST

[postED 6:01 PM PST, 04 December 2013] We will be undergoing scheduled server maintenance Thursday December 5, 2013 beginning at 6:00 AM PST. During this time, such services as Billing, Destinations Guide, Facebook logins from the viewer, Land Store, and my.secondlife.com will be affected. Please check back here for updates.

Still not resolved/updated or cancelled...Could you jog the GSP staff's elbow/ wake them up/ get something done, please, Maestro?

Considering I found the Destination guide working every time I tried it, I wonder if the work was never started.

Maestro

I am beginning to think that touch-sensitive scripted objects are either not responding or only responding slowly on Magnum RC sims.

Elsewhere there are reports (see the thread) of auto-return-time being broken.  This needs to be investigated ASAP on Monday.

• Lindens

Hi Ayesha, I haven't heard any other reports of scripted touch issues, but the autoreturn issue sounds like BUG-4635: "'Selected / sat upon:' incorrectly shows objects that are not actually selected or sat upon".  When an object is affected by this bug, and is counted as 'selected / sat upon', it is immune from autoreturn.  A fix for this bug is scheduled for this week's RC update (I'll publish the release notes shortly).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.