Is there a way to not show DEMO's in the marketplace when searching

KatieMcKinley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm looking for a free shape to start out with but the market place online I am sick of seeing DEMO on everything, it makes it x10000 times harder to find a real item. Is there anyway to do the search and get rid of the DEMO's in the search?

I would like to also propose that there be an option for marketplace people to mark the item as Demo and it be a searchable option.

13 answers to this question

NECROPOST!necropost.png.4ab6384147447cb835286e789453098c.png

This thread contains some out of date information.  First, the Marketplace search engine has been much improved.  Second, most of the standard search conventions still don't work for Marketplace search, but NOT, AND and OR (typed in  ALL CAPS) do.

• Like 1

The Marketplace search engine is very unsophisticated.  This is not Amazon.com, so you can't filter out things like the DEMO selections.  Sorry.

BTW, nobody here is a Linden.  This is a resident to resident Answer service.  Lindens never come here, and we suspect that they never read anything here either.

Merchants have to create a separate listing for DEMOs to put them on MP, unlike many commerce sites that don't require a listing just a link.  There is also no standardized way required to be used when creating the  listing so how the word DEMO is presented is up to the merchant.  Many may do it elaborately to be sure that its clear the product is a DEMO.

I got mixed results with this, danny. Can you post the EXACT steps you use to get a search to work using exclusions? How about multiple exclusions, like NOT (DEMO, demo. D.E.M.O) ? What selections do you make BEFORE you enter your search terms? Must there also be a positive search term, like Search For: skin NOT demo?

Kudos for discovering this feature, even if it's flaky!

In addition to the excellent advice here, I would not worry too much about finding a starter shape.  ANY shape will do to start with, as long as it's not No Modify.

Start with a modifiable shape, and begin playing with the Appearance sliders.  Make your own unique shape!  It probably won't be finished in one session.  I probably tweaked my shape, off and on, for about six months before I got to something I was really happy with.  But I have stuck with that shape with very few changes since, for six years.

Be aware that your skin has as much to do with your look as your shape.  Once you have a shape you like, try on lots of demo skins, until you find one you like and that compliments your shape.  Don't be afraid to tweak your shape a little to get a better "fit" with a skin you really like, but remember to save any changes with a new name, so you can go back to the old shape if you change your mind.

I so remeber when  lindens did not have control of the market place from the start and there was a free section , then when lindens got a hold of it , every thing changed they got rid of the free section , ect , i wish they would bring it back , as i see it i would look at the free things then go to the in world store to see what they had to offer , so so bought more then . but then all the demos popping up i got discoraged and stopped shopping on Marketplace for good , as i see false advertizing on some demo's  making them seem to be the real deal then chargeing for the demos , so messed up any more , i see the point of the demo but give us a break already , have a section for demos , then one for freebiees 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.