Sign in to follow this  
tessakennedy1

Best advice for someone who is new to rp

I've always been intimidated by typed rp. Grammar and spelling  play a large role. I admit I am not the best but I would love I to rp. I would like to know if their are any communites where people mentor another person. 

I look forward to any positive responses.

Rp something you like, and you won't have to fake it.

Most rp communites have an established new member procedure.

Use the Inworld search, post some of your interest in your profile, visit locations in character if possible.

Look around before you join a rp Group. Ask for a tour, make it clear that you are visiting and will need a day or two to decide.

+++ lol jk

Good advice.  It just makes me nervous and going to a place where you dont know anyone  scares me. But ive been hoping to places like toxian city  and I will keep trying.

angelarenee452 wrote:

Just be yourself. I wouldn't worry too much about spelling, grammar or talking a certain way. Do you and everything else will fall into place.

How is it roleplay then, if you play yourself? I don't think thats going to be a good advice. Many who do this run into the problem, that they either don't fit the setting or their chosen position with their behavior OR that they get mad and grumpy when thinks they don't like happen in the RP, because its harder to seperate between OOC and IC when you are in fact just playing yourself in a costume.

The language should be readable. Many won't mind a few errors here and there, but it shouldn't be a miracle what was meant. RP can be a great oportunity to improve spelling and grammar.

The Idea is to find a place that is nurturing and forgiving. Often times people will say whatever they please behind the safety of a computer. They lack compassion and understanding and so Its hard to feel comfortable in a setting where you may make a fool of yourself. This is why I look for a place where one may have a mentor or guide.

I will continue you my search in hopes that I find a place that I would call my rp home.  We all have to start some where I just start slower than others.

In local chat always try to stay in character.  Go so far as to answer OOC (out of character) chat in character to try to keep IC (In Character) gaming going.

Use IM or voice for OOC conversations.

Make sure you read those rule cards before entering a roleplay community.  It can take some time, but will save you a lot of heartache later.

Understand that people who may be "mean" are in character.  If you need to clarify, IM them.  If they are just being mean, make a note and don't roleplay with them, remove yourself and reset.

Be patient and let others respond to you.

Let the story go where it goes, don't try to control the outcome.

Realize that in combat roleplay there are always "winners" and "losers" and you will do both often.

Respect the authority of the sim owners.

Clean up after yourself.

Make sense.

Don't god mod. (god modding is making others do things via your IC chat, an example: "Torley farted"....)

Have fun! Good roleplayers are rarer than you think, even on roleplaying sims.

Depending on the genre you are intersted in, you might want to read some relevant books or watch a couple of similar movies so that you can understand the context around the specific era and observe the behavior and language of individuals of that time and place. I would be glad if I can be of any help. Tc and have fun!!!

One would be to take some classes in Roleplay basics. First thing to do is create your character, sketch a background. Then decided what kind of RP you are looking for. Gor, Game of Thrones, medieval, steampunk,, modern urban decay, post apocalyptic, Victorian, Star Wars, etc. Seeking Roleplay group has a center set up that many RP sims have ads there. You also need to decided if you want to have metered combat or RP combat or none at all. That will influence where you RP as well. You mentioned Toxia, so that's a DCS meter. You also have SWRP, CCS and UCE.  Be sure that the clothing and avi you choose is appropriate to the sim you want to play in.

Just a few things to think about.

Yes, I teach a roleplay basics class. Taking a hiatus over the holidays but I'll be starting a new cycle on Sat, Jan 8 at 1PM SLT in the NoR sim Community Center.

Syo Emerald wrote:

How is it roleplay then, if you play yourself?

Maybe they just meant "play a role that they can relate to"?

I would have difficulty playing a fire breathing dragon ice cream van salesperson, with a crystal meth. addiction since i've never sold ice cream.

;)

don't worry at all about grammar and spelling. Most rp'ers are so busy trying to type out their whole thought so quickly that we've all become fluent in the language of "typonese."

My Advise: "Listen to what the other person just said, and respond to that. Dance with them, don't just show off"

You will find people that role play at the level you are at. A great role-player can meet you at your level and enjoy your enthusiasm and freshness. A bad role player will criticize your spelling or typos.

It's about the story.. not the words. One of my favorite storys is "The Oddesy" by some greek dude following an oral story telling tradition. Homer somebody. Dude didnt even speak english, man!

(yes, I will RP with a translator, too.)

I am not a great role player but I have lots of fun at it.