New Tools and Game Engine ( Linden Lab PLEASE READ)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been in SL for a long time.  I think it is time for a new Second Life with a new game engine SL2... Linden Labs don't you think it's time??  I am talking about new building tools, new and lower priced sims (the cost of sims on SL is absurd).  LL needs new commands and limits or nerf ect.  I am posting this to see what other people think! .....Its time for change

Everquest Landmark coming soon  this going to hurt SL   

P.S. iam posting a video check out the building tools https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeTv5nnq9IY#t=1453

It may draw some residents and creators but it is not like SL. It is essentially a game, so if you aren't a gamer its not going to appeal to you. 

It is far different from a creators point of view too

• You can't build in any style you want, it has to fit into the storyline which is medieval fantasy. 
  • You can't start from scratch either, you have to download in-game objects to mod. 
  • You can sell things but only if they are 'selected' and you don't get what it sells for, only an unspecified 'share'.  It seems to indicate that the game owners will price it too. 
  • You retain no IP rights on anything you create.  All IP rights for everything submitted to the game or their web store are the sole property of the game owner

Bottom line is that it doesn't interest me in the least and will probably appeal to very few of SL's serious creators, if any.  The recent change to the TOS has them in uproar now, and the TOS of this game is even worse than LL's.

The point is Linden Lab doing a revamp of what we call SL. MAKING IT BETTER then what  it is.  The video shows  the possibility it can do. SONY going to open it up  It not just for  medieval fantasy  If watch the whole video there more  and learn about PlayerStudio there is  IP rights anything you create. 

I watched that video introducing the EQN Landmark Technology to Sony's offering and other than different ways of "Stretching" or "Extending" the length of builds I didn't see a lot of difference or innovation. Linden Lab has been extending [albeit at it's own pace] the building tool set of SecondLife consistently since I've been here. Clearly this is new for EQ but other than their particular way of allowing people to build, what example of competitive innovation does Linden Lab have to worry about?

EQ is a Gamer's World. With a particular vision and goal. SL is a complete environment with a completely user defined goal set.

Now about our region leases I'd love to see the cost come down. I wish Linden Lab could lease out co-located servers for this purpose as leasing a Dual Quad Core 2x4 Xeon 3.0GHz server is now a days $299.00 per month at many leasing companies including all physical support infrastructure support. [ $37.50 / CPU ] Of course Linden Lab would still need to perform it's own logical backups and maintain the high degree of access security as well as providing Asset Server Databases. But I have to believe that they can get these costs down if they try. All we are leasing is a single Server CPU per region.

[steps off my soap box]

I went to the website and I did read the FAQ the TOS and the information about Player Studio.  I saw nothing in writing about IP rights except in the TOS where it states that the game owner also owns all the rights to submitted content.  No matter what is said elsewhere, the TOS is the ultimate source.

Another drawback is you have to play the game to gather resources to build in world.  The common stone texture is 'easy' to get but better materials are harder to get. You can't create your own resources, such as textures and import them to build with, you have to use what is you gather or what other players gather and are willing to sell to you.  The smallest building block is pretty large.  To get finer details you have to use 'props'.  To get props you have to gather the prop resources to make them as well as the recipe for making them.  You also don't have access to all the building tools to start, you have to earn them by playing the game.  Even the ability to fly has to be earned.

They did say that 'resources' to build in different styles 'maybe' expanded but will be prioritized based on what people want.  The example they gave of what they meant was that  if most players like fantasy, most resources available will be in that style.

If you are into building for pleasure and like playing games than this might be a cool game.  I also would like some of the building tools they show to be in SL too, but this isn't new.  Builders have been asking for better tools for years.

I still don't think it will 'hurt' SL as you contend it will. 

I played EQ almost from its beginning until I began SL and, although I play EQ from time to time just for nostalgia, EQ Landmark doesn't interest me enough to try it. 

From what I can tell just by anecdotal evidence, it's only been relatively recently that more gamers have come to SL.  In the past if I mentioned EQ to someone in SL the response I got was "I don't play PC games."  If I mentioned SL to my EQ friends and/or in the forums I got, "What is SL?"  There is a bit of overlap but hard-core gamers and those who enjoy virtual worlds are often two different camps.

As for LL coming out with a new version of SL, they are off creating their new games under the leadership of Rodvik Linden (Rod Humble). 

ETA:  Just thought of something else...was actually having a conversation about this with a friend earlier inworld:

We (speaking of SL residents generically) often think that what we enjoy doing in SL is what *everyone* also enjoys.  For example, I have a lot of friends who are builders/merchants and a good number of them come to SL for that 100% - they are not interested at all in the social aspect.  OTOH, I know a good number of people who ONLY come to SL to dance...that's it - not explornig SL, even - strictly dancing.  I'm sort of a "Jill of all Trades" in that I love to do a lot of different things in SL.

How this applies to the OP - all the people in SL who are the social type really care very little about "how" things happen or are made in SL; just that they do and are.  I was thinking the other day that I wished there was a group for people who enjoyed dancing in SL where one could say in group chat, "I'm looking for a partner to go to XYZ" and those who would enjoy that would respond - kind of a dancing-partner match up group.  I was relating that to a friend and got as far as "I wish there was a group for people who enjoyed dancing in SL...." when the friend said, "That's pretty much everyone in SL."  He seemed suprised when I said I know a ton of people in SL who rarely or never go dancing.  Again, the point is that of all the people in SL, builders are a subset and of that group, only a small number (if any and imo) would be interested in abandoning SL for EQ Landmark.

Before LL can ever hope to make decent strides in improving SL's content creation tools, they need to address the gaping holes in their own understanding of graphics and content creation in SL. Most of SL's problems and shortcomings stem directly from that, rather than outdated software.

As we've seen with their bungled implementation of mesh, when they do bring us improvements they go hand in hand with a mountain of problems which could have easily been avoided with only a little understanding of the subject.

I doubt Hi-Fidelity will fare much better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.