Help with Mesh House

Jenifer Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, hoping someone here can help me. I bought a mesh house and have been modding it..removing a door and a few inside walls. I'm not sure what happened but after I unlinked and deleted the door and the walls, I now have some sort of invisible wall or floor left where the door was and where the walls were. I can't select them, and I have also tried going into Highlight Transparent and nothing shows up, but they are there for sure. You can't walk through them at all.

Is there any way to find out what these "walls" are and how can I delete them?

Thank you!

Without knowing the house i can only guess - maybe others know more.

This could be the physical shape of the house, Mesh objects are often build phantom and to make them steady a second version is rezzed same location for walls, floors ....

Sometimes phantom or invisible objects stay on the sim even deleted, often a sim restart fixes that.

Maybe contact the creator he/she would know best what to do.

Monti

Typically mesh houses aren't all that modifyable so it isn't surprising you are having issues. I have made some of mine in "modules" so that folks could enlarge or take out a wall etc. but that isn't the norm (or at least the norm of the houses that come my way).

There are two different ways to make mesh houses in SL. You can build it from scratch using 3D software such as Blender or you can build it with prims and then let a "magic tool" convert them into a mesh. I don't know much about the second option.  Each though works a bit differently and each can have "issues". So next time, best to contact the creator before you purchase and ask HOW modifyable the building is :).

Good luck.

What Chic said.

It's not just mesh houses, but any that have been converted to the new LI accounting, if you are not careful about unlinking. When someone tells me he unlinked something in his house and now can't walk through doors, I use my psychic powers and guess that he actually unlinked and then relinked the whole house. That'll do it, for the same reason as in a mesh house which I explain below.

With a mesh house, this is often what happens if the whole house is unlinked then relinked: Those doorways may be physics type None (like phantom). * But when unlinked, they turn Convex Hull because a root or a single prim cannot be None. Convex Hull is like shrink-wrapping -- the holes in the wall are filled and can no longer be walked through.

Usually just unlinking only certain non-root prims causes no problems.

* and have invisible regular prims inside them with physics type Prim to keep ppl from walking through them -- these usually add very little or no LI to the build.

Chic Aeon wrote:

There are two different ways to make mesh houses in SL. You can build it from scratch using 3D software such as Blender or you can build it with prims and then let a "magic tool" convert them into a mesh. I don't know much about the second option.

That "magic tool" option is for example in the latest Firestorm viewer. I made a simple prim house inworld, then exported it as collada file and opened it in Blender. Works great, the mesh looked very clean and nice in Blender. One can then continue working on it in Blender and when finished then upload it to SL.

It could be one of two things happening:

As mentioned above in the thread, it could be that parts that were unlinked turned convex hull as they no longer have a separate collision model (physics) that tells the physics engine where there are openings or not.  You will not be able to turn these back to prim. 

Or, the collision model is still part of the remaining mesh, and there are invisible collision surfaces left that cannot be removed, so you will bump into "walls" that are no longer there. 

I have found that to upload a mesh that is grouped (linked) with a common collision model gives all kinds of odd problems when unlinking, such as being offset  from the visible model so that doors get narrower or can't get walked through, you sink into the floor or can walk in mid air, or unlinked items permanently turn convex hull.

The safest way, in my experience, is to have a separate collision model for each mesh that will be linked later.

Thanks. Knew it was in Singularity and before that (at the beginning of mesh) as a builder's tool that was sold.

I haven't upgraded to the new beta version of FS. Waiting for some kinks to get worked out. I have sort of bonded with Blender so doubt I will use it. Actually still not uploading so not much point IN using it. BUT very good to know. TY!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that you can make a mesh house so that these problems don't occur. So not all builds are created equal. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.