Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elly Earnshaw

Finally my thesis about Second Life

12 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,


some years ago I've asked the community help for writing my thesis, it has taken long, but the result was really good and I need to thank all the partecipants.

The thesis is about the impact of trust, identity and technology's success on the virtual world's overall success. The general view of the scholars about virtual worlds is always very skeptical because they have many prejudice regarding the lack of identifiability of residents and the relevance of virtual worlds in business. The results of my analysis however showed that having unmatching identities actually lead to stronger trust development, when personal disclosure and intimacy are present. Moreover some guidelines for companies wishing to start a business inworld were given, by respecting residents and the world's culture.


Thanks a lot for your help, if you'd like to read my thesis send me an email to my email address: per_elena@hotmail.com

 

Thanks and kind regards,


Elena (aka Elly)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Elly Earnshaw wrote:

The results of my analysis however showed that having unmatching identities actually lead to stronger trust development, when personal disclosure and intimacy are present.

 

Would anyone like to  hazard a guess what this doubleunspeak means? In English.

© The Judge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Elly Earnshaw wrote:

 

The thesis is about the impact of trust, identity and technology's success on the virtual world's overall success. The general view of the scholars about virtual worlds is always very skeptical because they have many prejudice regarding the lack of identifiability of residents and the relevance of virtual worlds in business. The results of my analysis however showed that having unmatching identities actually lead to stronger trust development, when personal disclosure and intimacy are present.
 

Freed of their RL identities and the social constraints that come with them, people are more able in a pseudonym environment to express their true inner self, their real feelings - and that leads to greater trust.

I've been spouting that point for some time now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people. But these same people may have chosen to indulge just by surfing the web and seeing a website or sig line I bet. Not saying they become truly themselves at some point, because maybe people change a bit when it comes to some things. Here you can just choose an outfit or a hairstyle. Neko's don't exist in RL but are all over SL, the neko thing in SL shows people simply choose something others are doing, which proves they don't really become who they are. They just change a bit, in some way and maybe just for SL but who cares. You end up with or choose a path because paths exist and there are others there to enjoy those paths with.

In fact that is the only thing I can see, a fake or real person is something people interact with and weather there is even a need for trust is irrelevent if trust is understood to not be needed. Anonymity removes the worry of trust, you don't need to know if the person is really a cat women. You don't need to know who they really are in RL, man or women or animal. You are playing a character and they are, you don't need to make it real. This is freeing, trust for business and acedemic studies is totally different. If you want to study real people you should go to RL, what is debatable really on that? People can fake identity and skew results, and if people think no one skews results than maybe you believe the tests and research on lying in research are faked or that politics has no effect on peoples actions. You argue that no one has registered thier dog to vote in a REAL election, that non-citizens use fake ID and so on in REAL elections. Investors do not drive by a business and chat about parking lots being empty and layoffs with other investors. Yea, they spend the time and a few bucks to get an edge. Why no in research? If you claim things don't happen that do, then you claim all of those who told me these things are lying...which proves my point anyway. if they are telling non-truths then I am right. If they are truthful about non-truth tellers, about people willing to get an edge and spend the time and money and be silly then basically I am right still.

So, the guy who wrote this is right to. SOME people may trust the opinions more. But you can trust a person who is untrustworthy. Trust is not a word that inherently means trust cannot be misplaced, abused or otherwise part of something that leads to the wrong outcomes. Trust is not a binary that starts and ends and is fixed forever. You change your opinion based on new information, though it may be weighed to some people. Even the thresholds and weighing changes! It is impossible to get into, but gaining trust is not really and truly anything much at all in the grand scheme of things.

I can distrust the weather man all I want, if it rains and he said so I am not obligated to stop trusting or distrusting him or the weather. I just get wet if I don't have a umbrella, but maybe I don't care? Maybe freedom and trust includes umbrellas and predictions but to another the freedom to be strengthened by exosure and remain mentally uncaring about the weather is or was freedom! One dances with an umbrella, the other sings in the rain alone and might even dance a bit...if society doesn't laugh at them...ah, they are not as tough as they seemed. So what is the word tough mean now? Is it a lie, a word that is impossible to apply and should be forgotten? Sadly, I don't care to much and feel like I want to stop typing. So I will. One small thing I had control over was to stop at this period. Or do I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Elly Earnshaw wrote:

 

The thesis is about the impact of trust, identity and technology's success on the virtual world's overall success. The general view of the scholars about virtual worlds is always very skeptical because they have many prejudice regarding the lack of identifiability of residents and the relevance of virtual worlds in business. The results of my analysis however showed that having unmatching identities actually lead to stronger trust development, when personal disclosure and intimacy are present.
 

Freed of their RL identities and the social constraints that come with them,
people are more able in a pseudonym environment to express a completely fake persona, expressing artificially composed feelings - and that leads to greater trust by ingenuous participants, including passing research students.

I've been spouting that point for some time now.

 

FIFY!

[Even the OP's embarrassing mis-spelling of "participants".]

© The Judge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Elly Earnshaw wrote:

Good to see you're having at least some fun by correcting grammar mistakes

Just trying to make sense of your "English" actually.

And failing.

© The Judge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Basically, people are talking about true self being exposed but I fail to see how the self is existing beyond being part of a group of some other humans.

Trees falling in woods and all that aside, people ARE truly not trustworthy for some things at some time, and trust is not just about two people BUT also the weather and other things.

Many people are studying things and not taking into consideration explaining to use what context thier usage of trust is. Sadly, I see that many things are evidently effecting a transaction, interaction and the need or ability to place trust on an outcome, not the person but the outcome, is an issue that many are having issues with. Where trust plays into this is far more game theory and basically balancing risk and reward etc. and people who have issues with people trusting for things like, say you can't trust if a person is really laughing...who cares.

Context, explanation of what defines and so on are important and we are all supposed to discuss this some other forum. Youtube comments are not exactly the biggest acedemic and awsome place. "Show me ur trusted bits!" is what I expect...you didn't put a bikini shot or a shot of your elbow looking like a buttcrack to get extra views, did you? I don't have time to click it and will simply just post this here since I am already checking and typing this few minutes instead of downloading vids lol.

 

Good luck, I hope somehow the world becomes a better place from research, though even a bandaid could be used to do harm somehow. /me shrugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Elly Earnshaw wrote:

Good to see you're having at least some fun by correcting grammar mistakes

 

  You just forgot to qualify your conclusion with "For all but the biggest A-holes in the world ..'

  That would let jujmental feel he was considered and represented in your thesis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0