What causes these sinkholes?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have several sinkholes in the floors of my store (which is a large square made of 4 sims).  I tried putting a 40 x 40 prim on top of some sinkholes, it became phantom.  I tried 20 x 20. Phantom.  10 x 10, same.  I finally ended up covering a lot of area with 5 x 5 squares, and pushed them just under the floor.

What exactly is at work here?  Some of these spots are at the edge of sims but not all of them.  Between this and not being able to rez things until a half dozen tries, I am at my wits end.

Two possibilities come to mind......

1.   You  have linked those prims to an object that is already set to Phantom so all become phantom.

2. If a prim is overhanging the edge of a region,  the part of the prim that is hanging over will behave as though it is set to phantom. i.e  you will fall through.

BTW....after  you figure out the actual cause...be sure to post follow up here in forums to say  how you resolved this problem.

I made some sidewalks out of mesh and not sure if it was a physic issue or what, but i just noticed at the ends of my sidewalk i fall through.

The same spot on bth sidewalks. I didn't use any special physics when i uploaded, just did the calculate weights and fees and uploaded.

The sidewalks were fine for a while but suddenly now for some strange reason the ends are now phantom

if you don't specify a physics shape for a mesh upload, a default convex 'shell' is used to approximate the shape. This shell is the smallest shape that can encompass the mesh. It's basically a sqished sphere. So for a 'floor' that is square, it would look like this:

Physics.jpg

Already you can see where this is leading to a problem. If you tile several of these together you would get this:

physics2.jpg 

So for anything you're going to be walking on, or anything you need to have an exact physics representation rather than an approximation, you really need to specify your own physics shape at upload.

You didn't say if the prims were regular prims or mesh.  If you they were regular prims, they could have gone 'bad'.  I don't know what causes it but I've had regular floor prims suddenly act as if they are phantom, but the edit box shows no check in the phantom box so they aren't supposed to be.  My partner has had this happen to him as well as several other people I know too.  When it happens anyone that walks on it goes through it.

This is not caused by rezzing the prim out with my avatar in the way.  These prims were already rezzed and acted normally for months, sometimes years, then all of the sudden did this. There seems to be no pattern to it, like it happens right after a server deploy or sim restart.  Restarting the sim doesn't fix it either.  The only fix we've found is to delete the prim and replace it with a fresh prim.

Yes I have bad mega prims as the main floors, but I was rezzing Brand new regular prims as patches. I knew megas sometimes had phantom spots -- which seemed to move around -- but did not know that any prim overlapping a sim border would get those spots. The only way I have previously known to make regular prims go bad was rezzing them on an avi.

When you first cross a sim it still thinks you in the old sim so doesn't know your suppose to be walking on a prim in the new sim for a second or 2.   At a sim crossing you need to over lap pims from each sim, you can make one set transparent if you like,  you have to make sure the root prims of both set are in different sims.  If you need help with this let me know I can show you inworld.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.