*IMPORTANT PSA* - There are RATs being distributed through Skype which appear to target SL users.

SZ8700

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All of that is irrelevant. This particular situation is more complex than you're making it out to seem. I refer you to my previous reply.

Now, given that information, it can be concluded that it started with one user accepting a file from someone they didn't know, but the subsequent accounts to be compromised were done so by being tricked into believing they are being sent this malware by trusted friends, not by the doing of someone with malicious intent. There is a big difference here. People aren't accepting files from someone they don't know. Instead, the person doing the actual "hacking' is using these trusted accounts to send their "friends" this malware. Again, there is a huge difference.

Nova Convair wrote:

This is pretty old.

If you click on a link and have to login and you perform the login instead of closing the browser - you are too stupid for the internet.

If you receive a file - no matter on what channel - and you click it - you are too stupid for the internet.

If you think your AV software will protect you - you are too stupid for the internet.

If you always try to make someone else responsible for your problems instead of learning something and change your behaviour - you will always be too stupid for the internet.

If you believe all that, you are too stupid to be posting in forums.

SZ8700 wrote:Now, given that information, it can be concluded that it started with one user accepting a file from someone they didn't know,
but
 the 
subsequent accounts
 to be compromised were done so by being tricked into believing they are being sent this malware by trusted friends, not by the doing of someone with malicious intent. There is a 
big
difference here. People aren't accepting files from someone they don't know. Instead, the person doing the actual "hacking' is using these trusted accounts to send their "friends" this malware. Again, there is a huge difference.

That is NO difference. It doesn't matter who sent you what. It's again very old that malware and links are sent by ppl you trust. If you didn't expect it - don't click it or you know what you are :)

Nova Convair wrote:

SZ8700 wrote:Now, given that information, it can be concluded that it started with one user accepting a file from someone they didn't know,
but
 the 
subsequent accounts
 to be compromised were done so by being tricked into believing they are being sent this malware by trusted friends, not by the doing of someone with malicious intent. There is a 
big
difference here. People aren't accepting files from someone they don't know. Instead, the person doing the actual "hacking' is using these trusted accounts to send their "friends" this malware. Again, there is a huge difference.

That is NO difference. It doesn't matter who sent you what. It's again very old that malware and links are sent by ppl you trust. If you didn't expect it - don't click it or you know what you are
:)

A lot of these are people who are used to sharing pictures with each other.  It's not an issue of an "unexpected" item here.  That is part of what this Hacker is taking advantage of.

The text chat probably goes something like this:

Compromised Account:  Hey, I got a new picture of my **bleep**, would you like it?

Unsuspecting Target:  Absolutely!

Compromised Account:  Sending

Unsuspecting Account:  I clicked but it wouldn't open?

Compromised Account:  All your base belongs to us.

I know I pointed this out in the other thread, too, but I am almost inclined to say that someone who receives what purports to be a picture from a friend, tries to open it and is then confronted by a big modal pop-up saying that this "picture" is trying to run a program and make changes to his computer, and who doesn't at that point think something fishy is going on, shouldn't be using a computer unsupervised.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I know I pointed this out in the other thread, too, but I am almost inclined to say that someone who receives what purports to be a picture from a friend, tries to open it and is then confronted by a big modal pop-up saying that this "picture" is trying to run a program and make changes to his computer, and who doesn't at that point think something fishy is going on, shouldn't be using a computer unsupervised.

I keep forgetting about that "make changes" pop up.

I always got a kick out of the fact that a program purchased from Microsoft would even set it off.  It was like "MS doesn't even trust themselves."  ;)

Czari, 

Its true.  My pc started running laggy a few weeks ago and I got a virus scan that routed it all out.  THEN I found out about skype.  Yes I have used skype in the past but wont anymore until this gets figured out.  I ran another scan and its all gone.  I had  folders in my system with really long alphabetic titles that did not spell anything, and software named 'iexplorer'. I didnt know any better til the malwarebytes got it out . When i read what the this virus contains I was shocked because I am very careful what I download.  If you dont trust the website Fart put down to get the buggers out of your machine, then go to 

PUP.Optional.Conduit.A concern? - Resolved HijackThis Logs - Malwarebytes Forum
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=131221

And yes, when someone uses skype, their pc is infected and they take the infection into Second Life.  Sending receiving uploading downloading ... we all do it, and most use skype so I can bet there are infections floating around the grid.  :matte-motes-shocked:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.