I need some help uploading an LOD file created from 3Ds max

BlackHeaven1983

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've never done LODs before, but here's a run down of what I've done.  I created a charm for a necklace, then proceed to make two lower poly versions by hand.  I then followed a youtube video  /watch?v=oVa9H8FBw6g  that shows how to combine the 3 mesh objects into one..  first i grouped them, then I used the Level Of Detail tool in utilities.  The export and the upload both go smooth, and there's nothing wrong with the mesh, except that once i have it inworld, it has all three meshes grouped together and doesn't work as an LOD at all...  Does anyone know MAX well enough to understand what my issue could be??

BTW, while uploading the mesh in SL, I did tell it to "Use LoD Above" for the mid, low, and lowest values...  which now that i think about it, i only made 3 different meshes for the levels of detail, not 4...  but I don't think that's my issue...  I don't think... lol

You have to export each LOD model as a collada file on it's own.

E.g.:

MyMesh_High_LOD_01.dae

MyMesh_Medium_LOD_01.dae

MyMesh_Low_LOD_01.dae

Then in the upload window you choose "Load from File" in each LOD slot, and navigate to the file you want do load in that slot.

Since you didn't made a lowest LOD, you can do "Use LOD above" which would be the MyMesh_Low_LOD_01.dae model then, or just leave it as the auto generated model. Or even better, make that lowest LOD as well by hand.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.