Can't enable Basic Shaders on new laptop

Gabby Pixelbottom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm posting for a friend who just purchased a new computer for SL (becuase English is a 2nd language for her), here are the basic specs...

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (2394.45 MHz)
Memory: 8073 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 9200)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8850M

For some reason she is unable to enable basic shaders. She has set the graphics to Ultra but under the Shaders checkboxes only Transparent Water, Bump mapping and shiny and Local Lights can be checked, all other shader tick boxes plus Shadows and Water Reflections are grayed out.

Does anyone have sl working with an HD 8850M? It seems to easily meet the minimum requirements.

A Dell technician supposedly installed updated drivers for the video card today so they should be up to date.

I'd appreciate any ideas that might help get her graphics working properly.

Thanks in advance.

Gabby Handrick wrote:

I'm posting for a friend who just purchased a new computer for SL (becuase English is a 2nd language for her), here are the basic specs...

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (2394.45 MHz)

Memory: 8073 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 9200)

Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8850M

For some reason she is unable to enable basic shaders. She has set the graphics to Ultra but under the Shaders checkboxes only Transparent Water, Bump mapping and shiny and Local Lights can be checked, all other shader tick boxes plus Shadows and Water Reflections are grayed out.

Does anyone have sl working with an HD 8850M? It seems to easily meet the minimum requirements.

A Dell technician supposedly installed updated drivers for the video card today so they should be up to date.

I'd appreciate any ideas that might help get her graphics working properly.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gabby,

Have your friend download the GPUUpdate Viewer from the Alternate viewer site...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

I think that version of the viewer has a GPU table (gpu_table.txt) that's aware of the Radeon HD 8000 family of graphics cards.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.