You been Ruthed - Hair massacre? But wait, how did ruth get their name?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ruth.jpg

Good question. 

Newbietemplate_Linden is listed as the creator of Ruth.  Newbie's birthdate is listed as Oct 11, 2002.

Perhaps she named her offspring.

For the record, technically speaking no one gets "Ruthed" anymore.  Rather than getting "Ruthed" we become a cloud:

"Ruth is now an amorphous cloud," says Qarl, "No longer an ugly dwarf."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/03/30/new-ruths-for-old/

I don't know if they are still active but at one time there was in SL the "Cult of Ruth Eternal."

http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_Ruth_Eternal

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ruth.jpg

Good question. 

Newbietemplate_Linden is listed as the creator of Ruth.  Newbie's birthdate is listed as Oct 11, 2002.

For the record, technically speaking no one gets "Ruthed" anymore.  Rather than getting "Ruthed" we become a cloud:

I don't know if they are still active but at one time there was in SL the "Cult of Ruth Eternal."

Except the "new Ruth" of the amorphous cloud is terrible.   When that happens, and it happened recently for me and several people I know, a quick fix is to go into the Library, and pull on the old Ruth avatar folder.  Then you can see yourself, and go back to your current skin, shape, and hair.   So, original Ruth, still has value.  Yay!

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ruth.jpg

Good question. 

You still get ruthed in shape, it does still happen, just not quite as often as it used to. But it's quite hilarious when it happens to guys, in particular. :)

You can remove the cloud thing too, for anyone who may not know... It's under debug settings-RenderUnloadedAvatar=TRUE. It'll give you a grey blob, or invisible person if the entire av is failing to load. Otherwise, if skin and such is loading ok, but not  everything else, you get Ruth shape with your skin(and possibly clothes and attachments now and again). You can also get a grey Ruth with no skin or attachments from it too. It really depends on what bits of the av's info aren't loading.

That cloud thing can be a menace and only turning off particles(which is the usual advice I see people give for it inworld), won't stop it from being a menace. At least for some people. Ruth on the other hand, even when grey and not fully loaded, isn't nearly as much of a menace for some of those folks. Your mileage may vary of course, since none of us ever have the same system, or experience :)

Stuck as a woman.png

Stuck as a woman2.png

Tari Landar wrote:

You still get ruthed in shape, it does still happen, just not quite as often as it used to. But it's quite hilarious when it happens to guys, in particular.
:)

You can remove the cloud thing too, for anyone who may not know... It's under debug settings-RenderUnloadedAvatar=TRUE. It'll give you a grey blob, or invisible person if the entire av is failing to load. Otherwise, if skin and such is loading ok, but not  everything else, you get Ruth shape with your skin(and possibly clothes and attachments now and again). You can also get a grey Ruth with no skin or attachments from it too. It really depends on what bits of the av's info aren't loading.

That cloud thing can be a menace and only turning off particles(which is the usual advice I see people give for it inworld), won't stop it from being a menace. At least for some people. Ruth on the other hand, even when grey and not fully loaded, isn't nearly as much of a menace for some of those folks. Your mileage may vary of course, since none of us ever have the same system, or experience
:)

One of the reasons I used the word "technically" in quotes is because I know it is not an absolute.

These snaps were from around 2008.  I was stuck in "Ruth" for a couple of days and nothing I could do would fix it.  (In the 2nd pic I'm in the black shirt on the right).

ETA that was how everyone saw me also.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.