Sign in to follow this  
Jamiee Daines

Buyer Beware SL doesn't care about you as a renter

Before you rent you should know that SL doesn't care at all about you as a customer and dishonest practices by landlords do not violate any aspects of the TOS or constitute abuse.

My former land lord stole from me but that is OK according to Second Life.  I as a renter have no rights so it is just tough.  OK, I can accept that.

So when you rent make sure that you understand that you have no rights under what ever laws govern Second Life.

But what is against the TOS and what SL will do something about is if I tell people what happened and name the thief and his company.  So Second Life furthers the abeting of crooks within their community by not letting people get the word out on landlords who use deciptive practices.

What I will do is tell you who this crook is so that you can avoid doing business with him.  Just contact me.  I can also supply the names of others who he stole from. 

jwenting wrote:

and thus you're offering to break the TOS yourself...

False.

It's not against the ToS to name and shame these crooks privately, using only public information that she's discovered through dealing with them. She isn't doing it on an LL-operated web property (which is against CG, and not a ToS issue).

Please check your facts before posting.

TOS or not I was perhaps very harsh and rash in my assessment as I had a long conversation with the SIM owner and we got a few things ironed out.  As usual there was probably a bot too much "thinking" going on from each side.

That said I was told that renters have NO guarantees if a sim is sold and they have outstanding rental fees paid in advance.

I feel quite strongly that SL is violating the laws of their home state of California when it comes to rentals and property ownership in RL because if you buy into property that has outstanding rents and/or leases you are obligated to honor those arrangements and any fees already paid are in full effect.

Jamiee Daines wrote:

TOS or not I was perhaps very harsh and rash in my assessment as I had a long conversation with the SIM owner and we got a few things ironed out.  As usual there was probably a bot too much "thinking" going on from each side.

That said I was told that renters have NO guarantees if a sim is sold and they have outstanding rental fees paid in advance.

I feel quite strongly that SL is violating the laws of their home state of California when it comes to rentals and property ownership in RL because if you buy into property that has outstanding rents and/or leases you are obligated to honor those arrangements and any fees already paid are in full effect.

Your rental aggreement was between you and your Landlord, not with Linden Lab.  If enforceable under CA law it would be your Landlord who would be obligated to fulfill the contract, not Linden Lab.

And as we know, Linden Lab does not get involved in resident disputes.

disclaimer:IANAL

Either rent from somebody you trust or get them to take paypal where if the sim goes away you can dispute the payment. If you pay inworld with L's pay by the week and not the month.