Oh, Is This Why They Changed the TOS?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Orca Flotta wrote:

I have one quesion. Who decides which world is "real"?

Uh, I guess the 99.7% of the world that isn't the USA, but nevertheless suffering from it, is the "real" part.

you  mean 95 to 96%?

and if it were 99.7% of the people in the world..they all would not be suffering from the U.S.

hehehehe

there are many versions in the minds of many people all over the world of  what the real world is..

generalising them all by their loudest mouthed politics that get the fame is not usually the best way to determin that..

since most times those are the minority thinking they speak for all..and usually from an ignorance of some sort or another..which then leads to a chain reaction of even more ignorance..

the real world is determined by where you are standing  at the time..not by where you are not..

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the real world is determined by where you are standing  at the time..not by where you are not..

Not necessarily. I don't need to stand in the palestinian desert to know how the ppl suffer. I don't have to live in the jungles of central/south America to know how they are fighting against the oppression. But I guess I receive and read far more international news than the average US citizen. And the general opinion about US politics and culture is clearly a negative one.

Well, we were all nasty people on this little planet so we deserve to live in interesting times. The next couple years are going to be very interesting, particularly for your country. I have a hunch somehow that there is a huge conflict brewing.We'll see what the outcome will be.

So, after reading the discussion [+ right & left turns] regarding this post I'm left with:

1) Project Interesting is.... "Interesting"

2) We'll be able to prioritize what renders for us more quickly by setting personal priority preferences [Kewl]

3) The OP has no idea how SL Texture & Object Caching works. [re: Digital Rights Protected Content has resided on our PCs in SL Viewer Caches since forever]

4) Evil Programmers can create an unapproved 3rd Party Viewer to capture restricted content. [Old News]

5) There is no correlation between TOS Changes as of late and Project Interesting

Did I miss anything?

Why would you post to a thread, and to the person, that you claim drives you the wall?  I'd think you want to ignore the thread and post somewhere else.  Good grief.

Why would I do it? Because I am me. Simples. And I usually don't care about what other people think I want to ignore.

Sure I’ve read it.  But, none of that is relevant here.

It is relevant in so far as I expected her to first collect some data, harmlessly ... and then in conclusion will blow us all away with a verbal Chuck Norris roundhouse kick. And her posting history proves me right. She shows all the symptoms of a paranoid personality, paired with an ill will and general hatred against everything positive and constructive.

You seemed to think it mattered how well I knew her when you posed this comment to me:

Because your earlier statement showed that you are obviously blind/deaf and underestimating Prok's power. Or you are of the same mindset, but then I see no sense in  continuing this conversation.

After derailing with a personal attack, you now want to point out that this is a discussion forum? haha

What personal attack? I didn't attack anybody, was just stating an opinion about what I think will follow. No derailing neither. And after being called a techno communist (tho not personally either) in one of her usually splendidly formulated but totally whacky attacks as if it's a bad thing to be a commie, I guess I have permission to payback at every occasion. Fotunately the more technically inclined forumites here have obviously stopped Prok dead in her track. So my "help" wasn't even necessary. LOL

Proks not a conservative.  (I'd bet money she voted for the current US president)  Also, I'm certainly not a conservative.  So what are you aiming for with your additional snide remarks?

See? You have obviously never read the blog or forum posts of the queen of snide remarks. And if Obama is not a conservative who then is? There isn't much spare room to the right side of Obama. Afterall he's the president of a fascist country isn't he?

You're absolutism statement of "all bad things".  Maybe you should go check the thread of fallacies?

Well, I find hurtful content in nearly everything she ever wrote. So it's all bad. Simple. And I read the thread about fallacies and could only subscibe to maybe 25% of what was made out there to be fallacies.

What's wrong with a preemptive strike?  That's how wars get started, and continue, needlessly. 

As your country had proven time and again. And I'm sory I fell into the same trap.

It's also bad forum manners and against the forum posting guidelines.  (personal disputes, etc) 

It only becomea personal dispute once Prok decides to confront me and trample me into the dust personally. She has the intellectual power and the fanvcy vocabulary to do that. But at least in that one point Prok and me are in the same boat: we both don't care much about decorum and manners in a forum.

You behaved badly, and now you're digging a deeper hole by trying to justify it.

My hole is already deep enough. I only need some more digging to break through in China ... which wouldn't be the worst outcome. I could end up in the USA instead. Now that would be bad though. Besides I'm not trying to justify anything cause there is nothing to justify.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Not necessarily. I don't need to stand in the palestinian desert to know how the ppl suffer. I don't have to live in the jungles of central/south America to know how they are fighting against the oppression. But I guess I receive and read far more international news than the average US citizen. And the general opinion about US politics and culture is clearly a negative one.

Well, we were all nasty people on this little planet so we deserve to live in interesting times. The next couple years are going to be very interesting, particularly for your country. I have a hunch somehow that there is a huge conflict brewing.We'll see what the outcome will be.

well unless you are there experiencing it with them..you can only imagine..you may know they are ..but you really don't know it like they do without being there ..

there are many cultures in many places in the U.S.

and they differ from even state to state..

there are many views of the U.S. just in the U.S. alone because of this..that's a lot of different realities in one country..

then add the crazy politics and media dance..

there is such a wide range on the politics that the far ends of the bar get heard the most..

you may be able to understand a country with just a culture or two and their problems..or the loudest of those here..

but there is a lot of misunderstanding  just in this country alone on even the simpelest of things..

just thinking there is one culture or even two versions of it to the U.S. kind of sets the point i was making..

i have a better understanding now than i did before that there is more to the other side of the pond than i was told  here  by the many resources when growing up..

and a lot of that comes from meeting people from those places right here in second life as well as all over the net and in RL..

but i haven't a clue what it is really like without being there..

so i don't tell people what they are like unless i know them as individuals..

because putting people in huge groups and saying this is how you are..

that's never really worked out for me  doing it or being put in those..

and yes i agree it will be interesting times to come..and times that the human race will realise just how tiny it is in this world..

you don't mess with mother nature as much as we have and get to walk away from it..

she doesn't see our petty differences..she just see's fleas..and that's pretty much a reality that we will all know very well first hand  if we are unfortunate enough to be around for it..

My short answer is simply this.  No.

Longer answer is that the TOS has always to the best of my knowledge granted to LL and to the Users the right to access and use the content for the purpose of running / providing the Service.  From the prior ToS.

7.2 You grant certain Content licenses to Linden Lab by submitting your Content to the Service.

You agree that by uploading, publishing, or submitting any Content to or through the Servers, Websites, or other areas of the Service, you hereby automatically grant Linden Lab a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicenseable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content solely for the purposes of providing and promoting the Service.

You understand that this license enables Linden Lab to display, distribute, promote, and improve the Service. You agree that the license includes the right to copy, analyze and use any of your Content as Linden Lab may deem necessary or desirable for purposes of debugging, testing, or providing support or development services in connection with the Service and future improvements to the Service. The license granted in this Section 7.2 is referred to as the "Service Content License."

7.3 You grant certain Content licenses to users of Second Life by submitting your Content to publicly accessible areas of the Service.

You agree that by uploading, publishing, or submitting any Content to any publicly accessible areas of the Service, you hereby grant each user of Second Life a non-exclusive license to access the User Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content In-World or otherwise on the Service solely as permitted by you through your interactions with the Service under these Terms of Service. This license is referred to as the "User Content License," and the Content being licensed is referred to as "User Content."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Terms_of_Service_Archive/Through_6_May_2013

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Terms_of_Service_Archive

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Creator fascism.

No one should be *required* to learn the mechanics of how browsers work to log in, that's ridiculous. That would be like requiring everyone who drives a car to learn the mechanics of internal combustion. That's not how normal life works, where there is division of labour and division of knowledge and expertise.

I continue to ask questions about this because I'm getting different answers and different emphases.

As I've heard in the past of things being held temporarily in the browser and then thrown out, I want to determine exactly

It's been an axiom of Second Life that scripts are different -- they're special! Scripters don't have to worry about their content being stolen, it executes server side. Rips of scripts in SL have been far, far less common.

So now if the new feature of Project Interesting is that now scripted objects are downloaded to the hard drive, that may drive more ripping because it's a new vista opening up that was previously locked down.

I wonder if it is impossible to encrypt these files or have them on DRM. And before I hear the usual knowier-than-thou response that DRM "doesn't work," let me point out that the inherent contradiction of the encryptionists these days is that they hold out the prospect that communications can be absolutely encrypted (i.e. Bruce Schneier on Tor) but they oppose DRM for intellectual property.

I have no idea what files contain these downloads or how you access them now or whether it's still OpenGL. I'm not a ripper. But the problem of copybotting in SL isn't just the problem of imported items that people rip from various Renderosity type sites, but inworld stealing. And if the cache is larger now and can hold things it didn't before -- scripted objects, which are arguably the most expensive things in SL (pets, vehicles, guns), then is there more vulnerability to theft now?

And back to the main point: was this the reason for the change in the TOS? The change could even be catching up to the reality that has always been in the browser.

Sorry Prok, but no. The client program is not a browser, knowing how the cache works is a basic bit of knowledge that should be required before log in to prevent people from jumping to conclusions over thngs like this.

Oh - and cute blog post - a pity you got all of your information utterly wrong. You banned me for questioning you, assumed someone who had used my IP address was in fact, me then went on a lovely little witch hunt to try and breach my private life, failing utterly in the process I might add.

Get your facts straight or don't post about me at all.

lol :matte-motes-tongue:

However, it makes the user experience better. It certainly has not a KABOOM effect on rendering speed, downloading textures still takes time, if they aren't cached. But it's another step forward to a better second life.

There are still some Bugs in it, and I'm sure there will be more issues coming. But the direction where it's heading is the right direction.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

arton Rotaru wrote:

Did I miss anything?

About 2) The viewer determines what is of your greatest "interest" by your "Field of View". There are no preferences settings you could set.

Well this makes this viewer update totally un-
interesting
:P

I think someone else mentioned that "interesting" was the wrong word. From Torley's description in the video, and my experience using the viewer briefly, the change in rendering order makes very good sense and works well. I think it will make the first minute after a TP more pleasant. I haven't tested the sim caching, but that also makes sense and would be a welcome change. It'll be nice to TP to friend's sims and not suffer horrendous chat lag for the first minute as everything loads.

But, until they work out the bugs like absense of advanced lighthing, I've no interest!

Nope. I've posted relevant information concerning an abusive user. Don't like it? Tough.

And I'd be more than happy if people ignorant of the most basic functions and workings never logged in again. They start and spread drama like wildfire whenever something even similar to this pops up.

arton Rotaru wrote:

Did I miss anything?

About 2) The viewer determines what is of your greatest "interest" by your "Field of View". There are no preferences settings you could set.

These can be tweaked with SceneLoadMinRadius, SceneLoadFrontPixelThreshold, SceneLoadRearMaxRadiusFraction, SceneLoadRearPixelThreshold

Ceka Cianci wrote:

So i'm curious..will it be in my benefit to get this new viewer or does it matter?

You'll get the same features sooner or later anyway, after other viewers merge it in. This particular viewer is out there for testing and bug hunting. It is definitely worth a few moments to download and try, for anyone who has slow rezzing issues and wants to see if there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I know you asked Prok, not me, but I've test-driven it for a while, paying particular attention to places that normally take a long time to rez properly, and things do seem to rez considerably faster with it than with other viewers.

i was really just asking anyone in general..

this is really the first thread or anything about this viewer that i've heard of it..

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

So i'm curious..will it be in my benefit to get this new viewer or does it matter?

You'll get the same features sooner or later anyway, after other viewers merge it in. This particular viewer is out there for testing and bug hunting. It is definitely worth a few moments to download and try, for anyone who has slow rezzing issues and wants to see if there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

ya i'm just hoping for performance  improvements without having to get a new system..

i mean i am due for a new system this season and will be getting one.. 

but figure..what better way to  measure it than in a system i am used too that is not the best at the moment in that area..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I know you asked Prok, not me, but I've test-driven it for a while, paying particular attention to places that normally take a long time to rez properly, and things do seem to rez considerably faster with it than with other viewers.

i was really just asking anyone in general..

this is really the first thread or anything about this viewer that i've heard of it..

See Speedy Delivery:  Introducing the Project Interesting Viewer.   Of course, Torley knows all about it:

It still will render the same content as always. So the FPS performance improvements aren't that noticable, if any. If you look at 5 million polys, and 5000 textures, with half of them have alpha channels, plus a bunch of local lights, and a few thousand particles floating around, your system will struggle as it always did.

arton Rotaru wrote:

Nah, it always rendered what is on your screen. What is not on your screen isn't rendered. This viewer only loads things in another order. If your scene is fully loaded, and you have 5 million polys in view, you have still five million polys in view.

That doesn't even make sense. What is on the screen is determined by what is rendered, not the other way around. That is how it gets on the screen in the first place.

The big problem was that the viewer lacked enough information to know what NOT to render in a timely fashion. Object occlusion couldn't do its job properly, so objects that should have been out of view, were in view, and got rendered when they should not be rendered. Now it has that information, and object occlusion can do its job right away.

Object occlusion did work in the older viewers as well. I won't say that it hasn't been tweaked now, but I don't see any FPS improvments actually. And the content point still stands, if you have five million polys to render in your view, you have 5 million polys to render.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.