Win 8 issue with ATI radeaon 4600 vid card. Driver is up to date from AMD site. Viewers not loading

DasEbilOne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As I said, I looked at the solutions posted in other places, made sure I had exhausted resources and tried updating all windows updates, clean installs, drivers being the right ones... still getting a error message saying they are out of date or unsupported. Never had a problem with drivers or this exact vid card working in Win 7.  

-Edit- Not sure the answer directly below is a solution as I don't even get to a login.  When I try to start the viewer, it says "detecting hardware" and immediately kicks me out to the error message.

-Edit2-  Did try, it is apparently running into an error in Catalyst and NOT installing 13.4 beta. (Have 13.1 installed)  The error report doesn't give much info as to why, just that it was not.

4 answers to this question

I thought that this issue had been fixed, but maybe not.  There is a AMD Catalyst problem (BUG-3487), which basically makes the viewer crash right after login for everyone with the latest AMD drivers (Catalyst 13.5+ to anything above) - only Catalyst 13.4 or older is unaffected.

Users who report crash-issues right after login after their Windows updated their drivers (or they did a manual update), should be advised either to use Firestorm (which does not have this bug), or downgrade to Catalyst 13.4: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/13/Pages/radeon.aspx?os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2064-Bit%20Edition&rev=13.4

• Like 1

DasEbilOne wrote:

[ .... ]

-Edit- Not sure the answer directly below is a solution as I don't even get to a login.  When I try to start the viewer, it says "detecting hardware" and immediately kicks me out to the error message.

All you can do is try.  It can't hurt, anyway.  You have already tried the other standard solutions.

DasEbilOne wrote:

[ .... ]

-Edit2-  Did try, it is apparently running into an error in Catalyst and NOT installing 13.4 beta. (Have 13.1 installed)  The error report doesn't give much info as to why, just that it was not.

Until KarenMichelle --- our resident Win 8 expert --- comes along with a better idea, you might try the clean install procedure for updating those drivers, described here >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Graphics-cards/ta-p/700073

Hello, DasEbilOne

On my laptop, I have Windows 8 installed, and on installing current drivers, found I was also immediately kicked out of SL with error message.

Had to return to AMD website and download catalyst host separately. All is fine now.

Please return to AMD website. Look in search for "catalyst" and install correct one for Windows.

(Don't install beta version of drivers)

Edited to add: apologies if I repeat anything already tried. Got half an eye on the cooker currently :matte-motes-confused:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.