The Interesting Viewer by LL Much Faster!

NealCrz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiro Fluffy wrote:

Another thing that helps is to support the API the video card was designed to use.

All consumer video cards are highly optimized for DirectX but for some reason LL only supports OpenGL, which means the entire rendering engine of Second Life is coded to use a rendering API that is thrown in as a gimme for compatability reasons on every consumer GPU.

Switching to DirectX would give SL an immediate performance boost measurable in thousands of percent.

How much would you be willing to pay for a DirectX SecondLife?

It's not only about *gimme for compatibility reasons', it's also about paying Microsoft   a lot of money for being allowed to license and use MS'ses Windows only proprietary  DirectX instead of license  fee free  open source OpenGL

Switching to DirectX by the way would exclude everyone who is not running  Windows ,about 25-30% of all users, from SL completely., which would make stings lite tiers even more expensive.

J.

P.S.

Thousands of percents immediate performance boost with proprietary DirectX? Expecting 400 FPS on a 50 US§ AMD GPU with DrectX? You have not understood a single bit of SL's technical background!

I tried the new fewer today. After only 2 hours, I dumped it and went back to the previous version, which is the second worst viewer LL has yet to make. The interesting thing about the latest viewer was that is cut my speed, from an all time high FPS to the slowest I have ever seen. The video said it was the last of the improvements that they will make. I can only assume their goal is to chase all their users away.

Becky Shamen wrote:

I tried the new fewer today. After only 2 hours, I dumped it and went back to the previous version, which is the second worst viewer LL has yet to make. The interesting thing about the latest viewer was that is cut my speed, from an all time high FPS to the slowest I have ever seen. The video said it was the last of the improvements that they will make. I can only assume their goal is to chase all their users away.

Interesting.  This is what I get 36fps.  I have found that the viewer  represents SL water in a way that is not nearly as beautiful as say Singularity.  Also seeing some color anomalies around skin matching.

However I'm addicted to the near field priority rezzing.  Even Willies and Tempura rez fast  and they can be tough places to visit.   Don' think I can go back.

Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 9.34.04 AM.png

NealCrz wrote:

while it feels faster thre are other issues Im finding that crash it like paying for land. (Crash)

Just an update.  Since I moved from a landlord who was stacking giant skyboxes,  I'm not crashing much at all.  Back to norms.

• 3 weeks later...

Becky Shamen wrote:

I think what you meant to say was "I'm making vague assessments with no baseline for settings or hardware used, and posting no secondlife.log, ensuring nobody can duplicate my results, because obviously Linden Lab wants to go out of business."  If that sounds silly to you, good, because that's pretty much what anyone who approaches computer science scientifically just thought about what you wrote.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

there is one other person who says there are slowdows on race tracks, maybe you can compare notes in that thread. it appears that you are talking about viewer performance and the other poster was talking about vehicle speed, but maybe there is something in common. specifically a slowed down viewer will be less responsive with sending controls, that could keep a vechicle from getting its go faster commands.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Avatar-not-capable-of-usual-speeds-since-the-Rolling-Restarts-on/td-p/2492017

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.