Sign in to follow this  
Rachael777

Hack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just received a warning from a club owner that there is a new "hack/virus" going around called[L4L]- Gestures & Walkers (Freebies). Apparently it will attach itself to your avi and Steal your account info and bury itself into your computer. I noticed that when someone sends me a gesture or animation it automatically goes into my"objects" folder instantly. Am I safe as long as I don't wear/open it and is there a way to stop "gift objects" through IM's from going into my object folder?    Thanks

~Rachael~  

Since I generally need to accept all objects for my business...

As a rule, I make a habit of looking at my Recent Inventory list to see what if any things have been sent my way after a long session in SL - If I didn't ask for it, I delete it. If I don't recognize the name of the creator, I delete it.

Textures are safe to rez if only to see what they are. Gestures you can edit and see the code in them. Non-prim clothing layers are reasonably safe as they can not harbor scripts. Objects are a different matter. Never wear an object you didn't purchase from a reputable source/merchant.

Generic objects with unusual names just hanging around in your Objects folder, rez on a script-disabled mini-parcel - I maintain  a 4m x 4m one in my Modeling Dressing Room to rez things I may have forgotten about.

You can also restrict these objects by setting your options as follows:

Me / Preferences / Chat / [X] Only friends and groups can call or IM me <--- make sure that this is set to limit your exposure.

Note: Other 3rd Party Viewers have even more restrictive options that you can set.

Sorry, but what you were told is utter BS. NO OBJECT can steal your account information or "bury itself" into your computer.

That requires you to go to a web page or be foolish enough to run an actual program on your computer that you got from an untrustworthy source (or to have fallen prey to the recent Skype mayhem making use of an old security loophole).

A simple object in Second Life however, cannot do what has been described.

A single object or prim itself can't do any harm to a persons computer or account.

However you have to take the following into the matter.

1.) Dialogue Spam if a person is tricked into clicking a Dialogue which opens a browser and installs a virus or keylogger.

2.) A object that changes Land Information if you have rights which links to external data-base and has a virus/keylogger that can be accidently installed on a users computer by a few methods.

3.) The viewer you are using with security issues such as a Third Party Viewer.

4.) A Object itself would be harmless but I have run into objects in Second Life that can fool most people, or cause a users computer to be compromised, take for example AO's that have been illegally copy-botted and distributed over the years via permissions exploit. I know the creator would not do it but assume I took one of his AO's add in a support website that was compromised with a virus or keylogger and gave it out to a bunch of newbs who activated the link thinking it was for Help but it installs a keylogger and gives them a page not found error or something else unrelated to such next time user logs in byebye account.

There is a number of ways a persons account can get compromised even by going to a funny picture you're friend sends you on the internet or clicking/accessing a link in any way the easiest way would be a Compromised viewer, Keylogger, or many other griefing methods trying to obtain such.

Linden Lab, Needs to seriously add additional layers of security beyond a simple password to protect its users I am shocked that Guild Wars 2, and World OF Warcraft have better account security than Second Life which is often connected directly to peoples Bank Accounts.

Not sure waht the last part of your post was all about :P but thank you for your responses :) I wasnt sure if it was possible for a virus to be introduced into Second Life or not, thats why I asked. here is the Message that I recieved :

DO NOT EXCEPT - Hey everyone there is a new hack going around PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT any object named [L4L]- Gestures & Walkers (Freebies) it will attach itself to your avi and Steal your account info along with bury itself into your computer.

WOW, that is an old griefing object that got cleaned up last January. 

It was a griefing prim that was a pain to get rid of if you did not know how.

Here are two links that describe what it did.  It did not steal your password, infect your computer, etc as others have explained.  It was just a HUGE nuisance.

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/exdepart

http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/l4l-gestures-walkers-freebies-3-griefing-object/

ETA:  If you want to know even more do a Forum search for "exdepart."  There were a lot of threads about it.  I do guess I have to add that I hope this object has not been revived.

the new grieffing object i was given twice  was boobies with name 'gold chain' 
when i rezzed it i quickly deleted it because other people might think i made those

but the idea obviously was that the noob (me) wear it w/out rezzin 1st....

noooooooooooob

Wireless_toilet_control_panel_w._open_lid.jpg

Gadget Portal wrote:

It also resets your clocks and leaves the toilet seat up.

If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it:  Wireless Toilet Control!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.