Sign in to follow this  

"Will you be my friend"

.... is the canned message that appears when you solicit a friendship, or when a friendship is requested of you provided the sender has not changed the verbiage, of course. 

Do you change that dull canned wording to something more personal?

How do you request a friendship?

I change the words.  I actually IM or PM the person prior with a kind/humorous note explaining my request. 

PS As an aside, I don't often ask for someone to be my friend, but when I did so this week I sent a page explaining my request.  I received back a page and a half explaining why it would *not* be a good idea.  :| That person won a ton more of my respect.  

PPS I bet a nickel Deltango writes the most beautiful friendship requests.  Just sayin'.

Personally, I don't give out friend requests anymore. I have two real friends that I talk to regularly anyone else is just taking up space or work related.

Don't give em out, Don't want em.

Keep them.

:smileymad:

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

No, I have already had the "friending" experience here in SL. I am now totally content to be just be left alone.

Friends, to me, are not a bother.  

If I want to be alone, then I am.

Anyway, the one or two friends you do have, how was the friendship originally established?

It depends on the situation. 

I generally don't offer friendship unless I have gotten to know the person well enough to see that we have things in common and enjoy each other's company.  The only other time is when they are a new client. I never do random or out of the blue friend requests.

When I do offer it, generally I am with them or in IM's with them and it is preceded by a conversation during which we agreed on it and I tell them I'm sending the request, so I just send the request.  The rare times I offer it without a prior conversation, yes I'll change the canned text to something more personal or that fits the situation if the message is brief, otherwise I IM first with the longer message.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I'd love to be your friend.

But I know what ou're like, so I can't.

That's what I once said to Jesus when I met Him in a Lower East Side pizzeria.  It was late in the evening, however ... And I did have a few cocktails prior.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

It depends on the situation. 

I generally don't offer friendship unless I have gotten to know the person well enough to see that we have things in common and enjoy each other's company.  The only other time is when they are a new client. I never do random or out of the blue friend requests.

When I do offer it, generally I am with them or in IM's with them and it is preceded by a conversation during which we agreed on it and I tell them I'm sending the request, so I just send the request.  The rare times I offer it without a prior conversation, yes I'll change the canned text to something more personal or that fits the situation if the message is brief, otherwise I IM first with the longer message.

DITTO :D

I do not send out friend requests very often and I usually do not modify the canned request.  I recall that when I sent you a request many moons ago, Storm, I did not modify it.  You accepted.  I hope you are still happy about that decision.  |:

Venus Petrov wrote:

I do not send out friend requests very often and I usually do not modify the canned request.  I recall that when I sent you a request many moons ago, Storm, I did not modify it. 
You accepted. 
I hope you are still happy about that decision.  |:

Lol, Venus.  And what were the words I sent in return!  Are you still happy about that decision?

Storm Clarence wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

I do not send out friend requests very often and I usually do not modify the canned request.  I recall that when I sent you a request many moons ago, Storm, I did not modify it. 
You accepted. 
I hope you are still happy about that decision.  |:

Lol, Venus.  And what were the words I sent in return!  Are you still happy about that decision?

Of course!  :)

Storm Clarence wrote:

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

No, I have already had the "friending" experience here in SL. I am now totally content to be just be left alone.

Friends, to me, are not a bother.  

If I want to be alone, then I am.

Anyway, the one or two friends you do have, how was the friendship originally established?

Those two friendships were established when I was fairly new to SL and have endured since. I used the generic " would you be my friend" but not until there was discussion regarding terms of the friendship. Maybe that's why they have lasted this long.

It seemed at the time that it was a must to have a friends list, now not so much. The shine has tarnished.

Maybe it's because I have to talk to so many people all day, I welcome the silence. :)

The usual I get is 'Quer ser meu amigo?' (or something like that), and I have yet to find one who doesn't seem wholly undeterred by the fact that I don't speak any more Portuguese than they do English or Spanish :smileyindifferent:

I don't send friend requests anymore. Most of my friends have long come and gone. I'm also not in sl enough to wander and meet new people these days. But, when I did send them, I always changed it. It seemed rather cheesey lol.

I do get friend requests every once in a blue moon. It's almost always a customer, or friend of a customer needing help with something. Easier to see when I'm online that way, I suppose.

Storm Clarence wrote:

.... is the canned message that appears when you solicit a friendship, or when a friendship is requested of you provided the sender has not changed the verbiage, of course. 

Do you change that dull canned wording to something more personal?

How do you request a friendship?

I change the words.  I actually IM or PM the person prior with a kind/humorous note explaining my request. 

I never accept random friend requests...that's just silly. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3: If I friend someone, it's usually after a long conversation or if we're about to start some kind of RP relationship (for example, I've "aquired"..which I know isn't the right word, but just sounds funny...two daughters in the past few months).  But if I do, I don't usually change the wording in the friend request...I don't think it's necessary. By this time, we had already had a long conversation so we both know what we're looking for.

Ambrose Bierce got it right.

FRIENDLESS, adj. Having no favors to bestow. Destitute of fortune. Addicted to utterance of truth and common sense.

which is probably a result of:

FRIENDSHIP, n. A ship big enough to carry two in fair weather, but only one in foul.

© The Judge

I honestly can't remember the last time I've offerend anyone friendship. However - I do prefer to have people on my friends list who I actually know and who ask beforehand in IM. I'd do the same. Unless the friend message was out of the blue (which I'd consider exceedingly rude) I don't see a point in changing the message.

I think the comments got off track from the original question although I have enjoyed reading them!

Yes, I friend people on occasion but I let them know the invite is coming first. I also friend people "temporarily" to get their calling card which I use in all kinds of ways... and yes I tell them to be ready for unfriending too! :matte-motes-big-grin:

I usually write something snarky instead of the general "Will you be my friend" tag like...

• Will you stalk me after accepting this?
  • Friends [X]  Lovers [   ]  Enemies [   ]  Undecided [   ]
  • Choose "Accept" to dispute Linden Lab's TOS
  • You have been chosen!
  • Click "Accept" to f*ck me again!
  • You are not Neo, "Accept" your fate Mr. Anderson!
  • By accepting this you agree my future messages are not spam!
  • F [X]  BF [   ]  BFF [   ]  BFFL [   ]  BFFSL [   ]  FU [   ]

And my all-time favorite...

• Its only friendship, not committed relationship!

Thanks for the fun and clever post, Nuhai.

PS My OP's always go off-track as they are written just to keep people talking--and I also enjoy reading all responses.  

My areas of interest include humor and drama.  So post away.

I rarely offer friendship, although I do throw out the occasional "you can add me if you want" when I meet someone interesting. 

I just looked, and my offer from you was the standard one Storm, without any pre buttering up or anything o.O I feel a little jipped, if I'm honest. :smileysad:

UncommonTruth wrote:

I rarely offer friendship, although I do throw out the occasional "you can add me if you want" when I meet someone interesting. 

I just looked, and my offer from you was the standard one Storm, without any pre buttering up or anything
o.O
I feel a little jipped, if I'm honest. :smileysad:

You didn't get my pre-IM?  I'm telling you, LL has some serious issues and glitches sometimes.