What is the best way to assess an avatar's impact on a region by script?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can get various bits of information related to scripts in worn attachments with this function:
llGetObjectDetails( key avatar, [OBJECT_TOTAL_SCRIPT_COUNT, OBJECT_RUNNING_SCRIPT_COUNT, OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY, OBJECT_SCRIPT_TIME]);

But what would impact the region the most?
- The script time of those scripts?
- The total number of scripts?
- The total number of running scripts?
- The memory allocated to those scripts?

Also would the complexity or shapes of avatar attachments have an effect and is there a way to find this by script?

I am aware that estate owners have access to a "top scripts" tool that reports which scripts are consuming the region's resources based on script time in milliseconds, so I'm thinking that as far as scripts go, the total script time would be the key.

The script time - but only if you monitor that for 5 mins (maybe less) - the initial value after an avatar teleports in is worthless.

Script Memory - completely worthless, errors fr a few 1000 percent possible

Number of scripts - maybe of interest if its very high. What exactly is "very high" I don't know, I didn't make tests lately.

If you think you can reduce lag by checking scripts - wrong idea. The scripts get only the spare time of the remainining time slice. Avatars with high script usage will affect how good scripts work in your sim. If you have general lag problems, search somewhere else.

Nova Convair wrote:

Number of scripts - maybe of interest if its very high. What exactly is "very high" I don't know, I didn't make tests lately.

The record I've seen worn by an avatar was 36,000.  We thought that was a bit excessive ^^

[old script-per-prim hair, newbie wore the whole folder of hair-colours]

ETA for below: I'm sure I've told you all this story before when this topic has come up.  She didn't know how to wear just one item, only folders.

Gee, Peter.  A girl can't just slap on a simple wardrobe, toss her hair, and walk out to face the world.  Proper coloring and hair care are crucial to maintaining a positive self-image, to say nothing of surviving in a competitive career.  She may have been a wee bit over the top, but it was all for a good cause, I'm sure.  :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you Nova for your relevant response before this thread went downhill and became irrelevant to the question posed.

Yes, the script time is averaged over 30 mins or since the avatar entered the region. Initial times can be very high but reduce over time.

The thread went downhill mostly because this topic has been hashed out several times a year for the past two or three years.  It always ends with the same conclusions:

(1) It is difficult, if not impossible to assess the effect of an avatar on a region. Available LSL functions are inadequate for giving meaningful answers.

(2) It is difficult to get people to even agree on what effects are relevant, or what the question means.

(3) Attempts to address #1 and #2 have inevitably led to well-meaning but uninformed measures by landowners that have done little more than intimidate and annoy SL residents.

Also would the complexity or shapes of avatar attachments have an effect and is there a way to find this by script?

Check the last section of the Talk page of llGetObjectDetails wiki article, "new constants Sep. 2013" for how this will work. Note that, at present, these won't work at all if certain popular TPVs are the only viewers connected to the sim.

This kind of complexity, however, is (almost) irrelevant to sim performance, instead lagging viewers connected to the region. Of course that may hurt visitor experience more than even a very heavy script load, but it's not affecting the region, per se.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.