Marketplace $0-1 Is Being Abused

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sassy Romano wrote:

One simple thing that could be done is to have an extra field "IsDemo" in the product listing table that set the "demo" listing item to TRUE whenever another listing references it as being the related demo item.

Then just filter that from search results so that nobody has to see it, then it's only accessible from within the actual product listing.  Not difficult, doesn't change the UI, doesn't impact on the way that merchants operate and could be easily populated for existing products with a query.

Because of these reasons, it will NEVER happen.

How long have we asked for the ability to filter only mesh, or anything except mesh based on the existing attribute in the form of a check box that has to be filled in for each listing?

Waiting a long time for that low hanging fruit to fall too.

I recently saw a thread that showed it was possible to use "AND" in the Marketplace Search Query to add additional requisite terms to the search. Has anyone tried using "AND mesh"? (I haven't tried it myself tbh)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

I recently saw a thread that showed it was possible to use "AND" in the Marketplace Search Query to add additional requisite terms to the search. Has anyone tried using "AND mesh"? (I haven't tried it myself tbh)

As Sassy noted, the full and partial mesh flags are not acessible through MP search.

There is no special syntax needed for logical AND in marketplace search, that is already what you get when you specify more than one keyword. A search for blue cat yields identical results to blue AND cat.

The operator that isn't available is OR.

Jacob Cagney wrote:

Maybe you were using OnRez and they allowed it.  But it was never possible to send free items to others through SLex or Xstreetsl.

Right. From a 2006 SLX thread:

We don't allow gift-giving for L$0 items as that would make it too easy for someone to use our delivery service a spam monster. So, if anyone is stupid enough to try that, they'll have to be willing to at least spend L$1 to do so.

Let me put my LL cap on again to answer this million dollar question....

Demos in your face causes you to buy expensive stuff, right?

Freebies means L.L. makes less money, right?

Of course that's shallow simpleton thinking, but that's the way L.L. thinks.

So that's why after dozens of similar requests and separate topics about separating demos from freebies in the search results over the years right here on the merchants forum, things haven't changed.

:matte-motes-wink:

• 1 month later...

I dont know about you a demo listed anything about 0l is abusive in my book and I never buy it to begin with. Maybe if it was 2005 then it would be okay.. So much better stuff out there with free demos that arent money grumber merchants.. Anyways I guess its how you really want to spend your money. If you want to do it I find it highly amusing and I think you should buy thousands of demons lol to 10l a piece or 1 but I like the ten L better :D

I know its like going to a store trying on a pair of pants then having to pay 1.00 for trying them on. I think they would get laughed at. Thats why the good merchants that are highly desirable dont charge 1l or anything for a demo and if they did. They know that most of their sales would be gone :D

• 3 months later...

Ok, now that I've been away from this topic for a month or so, it may be easier for me to clarify my position.

Yes, I may have been wrong to come across as accusing marketers as being 'exploitative' or abusing the marketplace somehow. Its all how one looks at it. Some would say people are abusing while others would say they are just using the tools available to them.

Both are valid, and both cases may be true.

The  end goal to my post was that a rehaul of the operation of the marketplace may be in order. I'm not saying I have all the answers.

Some posters suggested that a 'demo option' is available on the 'full price' listings, and it appears as that is available. Still the $0 listings are there and listed as demo.

Next is the $0 land listings that seem out of place. There are piles of those on there, I neither have the time to flag each one, and its hard to know which is a valid listing or not; safer to discuss it on forums then get banned oneself for flagging wrongly.

Next is the 'multiple color' listings. For me, I hope I never have to do that. I prefer to give the user an option to change colors, or textures in the product itself (and perhaps charge a bit more for the option) rather than doing the least fun thing to do: Make a listing for each color ugh... no thanks.

However, multiple colors, especially on $0L items in this discussion, is almost spam itself. It does a good job of getting attention for your store though, I can see why people do it. For those of us trying to find a product faster, its an awful lot of extra stuff to slug through.

Perhaps the easiest way to handle this is to make the search engine options more advanced, because as the number of available items on the marketplace grows (and whether I consider them spam or not, prolly just my opinion), its going to get even more unruly.

Merchants have begged for the ability to group all color options in a single listing.

Merchants have begged for demos to be accessible through the item listing, not separate.

If you are going to complain, learn what is the fault of merchants and what the fault of LL.

entity0x wrote:

Ok, now that I've been away from this topic for a month or so

More like four.

entity0x wrote:

Some would say people are abusing while others would say they are just using the tools available to them.

Both are valid, and both cases may be true.

No, both are not valid.  It's not some people saying it's abuse, it's only you.  Perhaps this is because, in the last four months, you obviously haven't put the slightest bit of effort into educating yourself as to how the system actually works and what tools are available for merchants to use.

...Dres

• 2 weeks later...

From Sassy's post on p 2 of this thread:

Re: Marketplace $0-1 Is Being Abused

Reply to Darrius Gothly - view message

‎11-13-2013 06:00 AM

One simple thing that could be done is to have an extra field "IsDemo" in the product listing table that set the "demo" listing item to TRUE whenever another listing references it as being the related demo item.

Then just filter that from search results so that nobody has to see it, then it's only accessible from within the actual product listing.  Not difficult, doesn't change the UI, doesn't impact on the way that merchants operate and could be easily populated for existing products with a query.

Because of these reasons, it will NEVER happen.

How long have we asked for the ability to filter only mesh, or anything except mesh based on the existing attribute in the form of a check box that has to be filled in for each listing?

Waiting a long time for that low hanging fruit to fall too.

(quotes: "Waiting a long time for that low hanging fruit to fall too.")

yes, yes we have ...

the way i undresatnd it, is if kinda like

for

<searchtype "demo">

<these items>

for

<searchtype "full products">

<these other items>

i can waite it in JS, and get an JS 2 XML translation through another program i have, why aren't LL helping uswith these features though? :matte-motes-frown:

Energy Metaluna wrote:

the feature exists to add a demo in the item one is selling, by splitting the demo into another item and linking, it doubles post and bypasses the "provide a demo" option in the main product

I don't think you understand how it works at all.

The "demo" item MUST first be created as a listing itself.  ONLY THEN can it be entered as the product that which is the "demo" part from the main product.

That in itself is not a problem though and your option to have a checkbox to look for demos is not unreasonable but absolutely not necessary.

Had you read my earlier post, this can already be achieved by the Marketplace team with a fairly minor change to the query that returns any search results, merely be excluding any item which is itself linked FROM another product since this can only happen IF it's a demo item.

Multiple colours, same problem, it would have been nice to collect them up but changing texture is fine for mesh items but not always possible, plus say there was 50 variations.  Selling either one colour or all 50 is a bit of a jump, selling texture packs (easily achieved via texture applier huds) then just becomes the same issue, possibly 10 textures per pack, back to 5 products.

Regardless, the feature to do this as subordinate listings to a main product just doesn't exist.

It's not difficult but in no way is any of this the merchants issue.  We were given a dud and that's all there is to it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.