Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
entity0x

Marketplace $0-1 Is Being Abused

Recommended Posts

Marketplace $0 Being Abused By Shady Listings & Demo Items

Yep. Do a search for $0 to $1 items, which a year or so ago used to mean "search for freebies or dollarbies", can be an exercise in futility.

 

Dollarbies and Freebies are very helpful to new players to the game, and is a favourite thing for me to do once in a while to see what I can find, (and perhaps offer up myself), in the low cost department.

It seems that marketers have taken to doubling their listings by simply slapping the word 'demo' onto it, yet still charging $0-$5 ( or more) and making money selling products. Although I understand how and why demo items are used, I don't believe they should be able to be listed as a $0 (or free) item, or at least put a flag in so we can sort out the demo.

The $0 section is chalk full of listings that appear to just be free advertising for the parties involved, and IMO is turning the marketplace into spam central.

I would even say that this trend will end up costing LL double the resource costs storing double images, double listings records, and double resource usage as people (may) look up 2 listings instead of one.

This marketing tactic could double the marketplace listings if not stopped immediately.

I understand the place for demo items in some manner, but this is ridiculous.

I have a few meager listings on my merchant store, should I simply double all my listings as well to get double advertising opportunities? This seems like a real scam and pretty shady.

All I would do is slap a 'demo' texture on all my products, then list it in the marketplace under $0-$5, and charge the unaware money for an incomplete product.

Or perhaps list a 1500-prim piece of land for $0 too, like many listings, and say things like "Oh yeah, its free.. for 1 day.. when you rent 90 days on the parcel" SCAM.

SCAM. SCAM. SCAM. and SPAM. SPAM. SPAM.

What are we going to do about this?
Why are merchants getting away with spamming their listings under the $0 "Freebie" or $1 "Dollarbie" areas, and even more so, why are they still able to charge $$0-5+ for a 'demo' item?

Am I wrong? If I can't beat them, should I double all my store listings for market saturation by simply offering up demo-textured 'freebies' as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like Marketplace is performing as it was designed.

Poorly.

There's no way to limit the number of items people put up. Since L$0 is a valid price (and a popular one for searching), it's inevitable that it will be used for publicity purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demos at that price point are not abusive. Demo items are really important tools to allow try before you buy, especially for wearable items.

The marketplace site simply doesn't support listing demo items in a sane way. Only LL can solve this by adding support for a demo flag, making it possible to filter searches based on that, and then insisting on its use.

If you think land pricing is scammy, flag it. However, land has an excepton in the marketplace guidelines; unlike for other categories, non-item listings are allowed there.

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


entity0x wrote:

Marketplace $0 Being Abused By Shady Listings & Demo It
em
s

Yep. Do a search for $0 to $1 items, which a year or so ago used to mean "search for freebies or dollarbies", can be an exercise in futility.

Dollarbies and Freebies are very helpful to new players to the game, and is a favourite thing for me to do once in a while to see what I can find, (and perhaps offer up myself), in the low cost department.

It seems that marketers have taken to doubling their listings by simply slapping the word 'demo' onto it, yet still charging $0-$5+ and making money selling products. The $0 section is chalk full of listings that appear to just be free advertising for the parties involved, and IMO is turning the marketplace into spam central.

I would even say that this trend will end up costing LL double the resource costs storing double images, double listings records, and double resource usage as people (may) look up 2 listings instead of one.

This marketing tactic could double the marketplace listings if not stopped immediately.

I understand the place for demo items in some manner, but this is ridiculous.

I have a few meager listings on my merchant store, should I simply double all my listings as well to get double advertising opportunities? This seems like a real scam and pretty shady.

All I would do is slap a 'demo' texture on all my products, then list it in the marketplace under $0-$5, and charge the unaware money for an incomplete product.

Or perhaps list a 1500-prim piece of land for $0 too, like many listings, and say things like "Oh yeah, its free.. for 1 day.. when you rent 90 days on the parcel" SCAM.

SCAM. SCAM. SCAM. and SPAM. SPAM. SPAM.

What are we going to do about this?

Why are merchants getting away with spamming their listings under the $0 "Freebie" or $1 "Dollarbie" areas, and even more so, why are they still able to charge $$0-5+ for a 'demo' item?

Am I wrong? If I can't beat them, should I double all my store listings for market saturation by simply offering up demo-textured 'freebies' as well?

I wouldn't consider demos to be spam... they are a very necessary thing.  I won't buy most things without being able to see how they look and/or fit before hand.  It would be nice if LL would implement a function that would enable us to differentiate between freebies and demos when searching MP listings.  The lack of that functionality is entirely LL's fault and not to be blamed on merchants, who do the best they can with what LL gives them.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Demos at that price point are not abusive. Demo items are really important tools to allow try before you buy, especially for wearable items.

No, not by themselves, I understand their place. However being listed as a $0 item is not.


Cerise Sorbet wrote:

The marketplace site simply doesn't support listing demo items in a sane way. Only LL can solve this by adding support for a demo flag, making it possible to filter searches based on that, and then insisting on its use.

They're going to have to soon, because the marketplace listings are going to double, especially if I decide that I'm going to use it too because everyone else does. I don't really want to do that though, I'd rather have a demo flag.


Cerise Sorbet wrote:

If you think land pricing is scammy, flag it. However, land has an excepton in the marketplace guidelines; unlike for other categories, non-item listings are allowed there.

I would. However, some listings are on the edge, and would instead possibly get my own account banned instead. So I came here to post about it instead. Lone warriors don't win. Community support is either there or not there. '


Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I wouldn't consider demos to be spam... they are a very necessary thing.  I won't buy most things without being able to see how they look and/or fit before hand.  It would be nice if LL would implement a function that would enable us to differentiate between freebies and demos when searching MP listings.  The lack of that functionality is entirely LL's fault and not to be blamed merchants, who do the best they can with what LL gives them.

...Dres

Demos are spam if they are listed in the $0 section. Demos are spam when the vast amount of listings clogs up LEGITIMATE SEARCHES for FREEBIES & DOLLARBIES. Theoretically, one could double their markeplace listing usage (along with image storage, etc) by listing almost EVERY product they make under a DEMO listing.

Perhaps a main listing of a product, with an OPTION TO DEMO an item, would allow the shopper to add a DEMO version to their shopping cart (if available) (AT NO COST).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a lot of freebies are all so spam, some shops have them as advertising hoping shoppers will look at their other items.  If you really want to stop $0L spamming, you would have to remove all $0L items from search when searching for items with a price.

The quickest fix the demo issue would be for LL to have all demo under 1 category, better would be to have them linked to the full version and not show up at all in search. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

a lot of freebies are all so spam, some shops have them as advertising hoping shoppers will look at their other items.  If you really want to stop $0L spamming, you would have to remove all $0L items from search when searching for items with a price.

The quickest fix the demo issue would be for LL to have all demo under 1 category, better would be to have them linked to the full version and not show up at all in search. 

I disagree. A 'freebie' to me is something you get to have for $0L. No strings attached. Yes, many give them away to get attention for their main store, but its still a product. whether it's a cool christmas hat, or a snowman for my land, or an old apartment build they're giving away, I have no problem with that.

I have bought things because of it.

A $1 dollarbie is the same concept. You pay $1 and you're done. You get the product.

Demos, as in (getting nothing, no product), and demos that are even priced above $0 (like going to a store and getting charged to try on clothes), are not the same. There is no transaction there, no sale.

On the store pages of individual items, there appears to be existing links to the demo item, but I think marketers don't really care about that, and are using the $0 and $1L system to doublelist their items

Yes, I might be barking up the wrong tree, especially if noone cares, or if there is resistance because many rely on the tactic for real world dollars to pay their rent; they will not want this to change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


entity0x wrote:


Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

a lot of freebies are all so spam, some shops have them as advertising hoping shoppers will look at their other items.  If you really want to stop $0L spamming, you would have to remove all $0L items from search when searching for items with a price.

The quickest fix the demo issue would be for LL to have all demo under 1 category, better would be to have them linked to the full version and not show up at all in search. 

I disagree. A 'freebie' to me is something you get to have for $0L. No strings attached. Yes, many give them away to get attention for their main store, but its still a product. whether it's a cool christmas hat, or a snowman for my land, or an old apartment build they're giving away, I have no problem with that.

I have bought things because of it.

A $1 dollarbie is the same concept. You pay $1 and you're done. You get the product.

Demos, as in (getting nothing, no product), and demos that are even priced above $0 (like going to a store and getting charged to try on clothes), is not the same. There is no transaction there, no sale.

On the store pages of individual items, there appears to be existing links to the demo item, but I think marketers don't really care about that, and are using the $0 and $1L system to doublelist their items

Yes, I might be barking up the wrong tree, especially if noone cares, or if there is resistance because many rely on the tactic for real world dollars to pay their rent; they will not want this to change.

 

 

 

 

And yet you set up your position as if it's the merchant's fault, when you know damn well that it is not.  I call complete and utter BS on your ass.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your mistake is viewing demos in the same vein as freebies.  Demos are a legitimate tool for business.  Sales of the full featured item increase when you offer a demo version of it for people to examine. Unless you can afford an in world store, which many people can't, there is no way to show your products prior to purchase other than with demos.  Even if you have an in world store, many people don't want to be bothered going there, they prefer to do all their shopping on MP.  Not many are going to buy something such as a house or mesh clothes without being able to see and try it out.  In fact people come here to complain when demos are not offered. 

There is no way for a merchant to provide a demo without creating a listing for it.  The link you see in the full version listing to a demo is simply a web link that directs you to the listing for the demo.  This is how the MP was set up by LL. Merchants have no say over it.  Merchants would be ecstatic if they could just upload a demo and link it to a listing without creating another listing for it.  It would save tons of time and time is money.

I've never seen a demo on the MP that wasn't clearly marked as a demo.  So if you are ordering demos expecting full featured products the fault is your own.  If they aren't clearly marked and you order one by mistake, what are you out? Nothing but a little time. 

Even if you paid 1L that is the equivalent of $0.004 cents in terms of US dollars or 4/100ths of a cent. Hardly enough to get your shorts in a bunch over as you probably lose a whole penny in RL occasionally without weeping.  No merchant makes enough money for 1L demos to pay SL or RL bills.  You'd have to sell 250 of them to make even a cent.  If you are looking at a full version product and the demo cost 1L and you don't want to pay that, simply don't buy the item.  Find something else.

Your problem is that not only do you want things for free or 1L, you don't want to have to expend any effort and pay attention to find them.  You then come here and want to bite the hand that feeds you by blaming merchants for something that is entirely LL's fault.

The only way merchants can solve this would be for all merchants to stop offering freebies and dollarbies and charge more than 10L for them.  Then you could search in the 11L and up categories and not have to worry about paying attention. Of course I doubt you want this to happen. shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


entity0x wrote:

 


Cerise Sorbet wrote:

The marketplace site simply doesn't support listing demo items in a sane way. Only LL can solve this by adding support for a demo flag, making it possible to filter searches based on that, and then insisting on its use.

They're going to have to soon, because the marketplace listings are going to double, especially if I decide that I'm going to use it too because everyone else does. I don't really want to do that though, I'd rather have a demo flag.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one considering the huge number of stale items that were on the MP for years prior to the change from Magic Boxes to Direct Delivery.   Some of these were items remained on the MP long after the merchant left SL (or so it was said; I didn't do any personal research, but many merchants were thrilled about DD for the sake of clearing out stuff from the MP in unattended MBs).  I think several people were posting how many thousands of items had disappeared from the MP once the Magic Boxes were totally closed.

Of course now that not even a tiny bit of land to rez a MB is needed, the situation can happen again, except now since the items are uploaded from inventory, no land needed, the stale items can stay forever...or unless & until LL comes up with a new idea and based how long it took to institute DD, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.  The point being, with all the other things going on re: the MP that LL doesn't seem to care about, items doubling due to demos is not likely to be high on their priority list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dresden Ceriano wrote:


entity0x wrote:


Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

a lot of freebies are all so spam, some shops have them as advertising hoping shoppers will look at their other items.  If you really want to stop $0L spamming, you would have to remove all $0L items from search when searching for items with a price.

The quickest fix the demo issue would be for LL to have all demo under 1 category, better would be to have them linked to the full version and not show up at all in search. 

I disagree. A 'freebie' to me is something you get to have for $0L. No strings attached. Yes, many give them away to get attention for their main store, but its still a product. whether it's a cool christmas hat, or a snowman for my land, or an old apartment build they're giving away, I have no problem with that.

I have bought things because of it.

A $1 dollarbie is the same concept. You pay $1 and you're done. You get the product.

Demos, as in (getting nothing, no product), and demos that are even priced above $0 (like going to a store and getting charged to try on clothes), is not the same. There is no transaction there, no sale.

On the store pages of individual items, there appears to be existing links to the demo item, but I think marketers don't really care about that, and are using the $0 and $1L system to doublelist their items

Yes, I might be barking up the wrong tree, especially if noone cares, or if there is resistance because many rely on the tactic for real world dollars to pay their rent; they will not want this to change.

 

 


And yet you set up your position as if it's the merchant's fault, when you know damn well that it is not.  I call complete and utter BS on your ass.

...Dres

This topic is going off a bit now, and I haven't communicated my position very well, I guess.

I will now remain silent on the matter.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to harp on you, but you really are looking at it from the wrong angle. You're looking at it as if the merchants have any choice in the matter as to whether or not our demos will come up in a price search. We don't.

I do get what you're saying about demos, and how you'd like it to be for them. But what you are failing to see is that everyone, thus far, has agreed with that point. We'd all love to not have to list them and just be able to link/connect to the actual product listing.

I'll state it using an example, maye it will help. Let's pretend I make a shape. A shape is something that you'd want to have a demo of, before paying full price. So, I make my shape, I make a demo version of my shape(with larger hands and feet of course, because it IS a demo), and I want to list my shape on MP. I know, in order to sell better, I need to have a demo, which is why I made one. Because of the way LL has set up the MP, in order to even HAVE a demo, I need to make a listing for it. I'm not doing this simply to garner publicity for my shape or as some marketing scheme, although that is a side effect of any listing of course(ALL listings are advertisements, regardless of what they are or how much they cost). The ONLY way to link a demo item to an actual item, is to have it's own listing. This has absolutely nothing at all to do with my marketing tactics, or my desires as a merchant. It's set up this way because LL has set it up this way. I can't posibly have a "get item demo" or "get demo item"(I forgot which it is) in my shape listing, if I haven't also created a listing for that demo. As to the pricing set for demos, personally I don't believe they ought to be over $1l-but that is just a personal preference. I would set a demo shape at $1l. Why? Because my demos will likely be no transfer. In order for someone to gift another person an item, it has to be at least $1l. It used to be(in the Slex and Xstreet days) that we could gift $0l items to friends. Unfortunately, again, LL has mucked that up. A shape, for example, IS something you might gift to someone. Like if you're helping a friend create an avatar, or find something you think is nifty and want to share. Gifting is a common thing, and a shared shopping experience is also a common thing in sl. Which means things that would have likely been $0l in the past, have to be at least $1l now. Anything priced at $0l-$1l is going to come up in your search if that's your only criteria used to search. We, merchants, cannot control this, at ALL!! We absolutely *have* to list our demos at $0l(or more). They cannot be listed on the MP without them being in some price category, it's just impossible.

Does that clear up why you see demo items?

The short version...merchants do NOT control how demos come up, or the fact that we have to charge for them. Whether that charge is $0l or more, is our choice, but the fact that there has to be *some* price, is not our choice. It's also not our choice to make an entire listing for them. We'd love to NOT have to do that and simply be able to offer, or link, a demo item to the actual item, without needing another listing. Sadly, LL won't let us, because they suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tari Landar wrote:

 

The short version...merchants do NOT control how demos come up, or the fact that we have to charge for them. Whether that charge is $0l or more, is our choice, but the fact that there has to be *some* price, is not our choice. It's also not our choice to make an entire listing for them. We'd love to NOT have to do that and simply be able to offer, or link, a demo item to the actual item, without needing another listing. Sadly, LL won't let us, because they suck.

Something came to mind while reading this; I, and am sure others do as well, remember yeeeeaaars ago asking for  the MP (or Xstreet right after LL purchased it) to give merchants the ability to list all the colors of an item (a dress, for example) on ONE listing.  IIRC, I think there was a bit of feedback on the old forums that sounded a "little" promising as in LL might actually do it.  Now, at least three years later, that idea has apparently gone the way of the Dodo bird.  That's another idea that would cut down on listings and be very helpful when purchasing an item that comes in a variety of colors.

@OP - What Tari and everyone else said, we (merchants) would love the ability to have a demo as part of *one* listing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a fair bit of experience with the "All the colors in one listing" feature request. When I was involved with the Metaverse Exchange website, we had that feature as well. We had to appoint one person to police the listings to make sure Merchants were using it.

And why didn't they use it? Their chance of being "seen" is much greater when they have separate listings for each color or other variation. So if they are selling 10 outfits with 10 variations each, it is much more to their advantage to have 100 listings than to have only 10 listings.

Our Listing Cop would get all manner of responses from the polite "Oh, I didn't realize..." to the "(whole bunch of words I can't type without them showing up as ***bleep***) ...". The prevalence of the latter type response was much higher than the former. Eventually we just gave up and let Merchants continue making separate listings.

So in my experience, it's another one of those "Really Neat Ideas" that absolutely nobody wants or will use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tari Landar wrote:

It used to be(in the Slex and Xstreet days) that we could gift $0l items to friends. Unfortunately, again, LL has mucked that up.

Not true. You could never send freebie through the system to people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

I have a fair bit of experience with the "All the colors in one listing" feature request. When I was involved with the Metaverse Exchange website, we had that feature as well. We had to appoint one person to police the listings to make sure Merchants were using it.

And why didn't they use it? Their chance of being "seen" is much greater when they have separate listings for each color or other variation. So if they are selling 10 outfits with 10 variations each, it is much more to their advantage to have 100 listings than to have only 10 listings.

Our Listing Cop would get all manner of responses from the polite "Oh, I didn't realize..." to the "(whole bunch of words I can't type without them showing up as ***bleep***) ...". The prevalence of the latter type response was much higher than the former. Eventually we just gave up and let Merchants continue making separate listings.

So in my experience, it's another one of those "Really Neat Ideas" that absolutely nobody wants or will use.

I believe your experience...I'm just going from the merchants who posted particularly on the "Advice on Sales" thread that ran for approximately two years on the old forums.  Multiple colors and even the ability to purchase a Copy or Trans version of the item were harped on (meaning merchants asking for these features) for quite awhile.  But again, it was a different forum with likely different sets of people as you and I have talked about before.  A great many of the old forum posters went to two other "third party" forums due to their dislike for the Lithium forums.  By the same token, I never posted on the old Xstreet forums, thus when these forums came to be I looked at all the "new people" wondering...where have you all been....lol.

My main point is that I do know of at least one group of merchants who were asking for the feature so I can't agree with "absolutely nobody wants or will use" it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Jacob Cagney wrote:


Tari Landar wrote:

It used to be(in the Slex and Xstreet days) that we could gift $0l items to friends. Unfortunately, again, LL has mucked that up.

Not true. You could never send freebie through the system to people.

You are 100% incorrect. Xstreet and Slex, used to have that ability. Eventually, xstreet got rid of it too-when LL aquired it. However, this is *exactly* how I had, at one time, gifted many things to friends. I know for a fact that it was possible, because my hubby is actually currently wearing shorts that were $0l I found randomly and thought were hilarious. So I sent them to him when he was new to SL, long before he was my hubby ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

 

So in my experience, it's another one of those "Really Neat Ideas" that absolutely nobody wants or will use.

I don't think "nobody" is a fair choice of words. I understand why you feel that way. But it's like any other feature. Some will use it, some won't.. Some might even abuse it. It IS a feature that's been requested for a very long time. So, somewhere out here, are others besides a small handful, that would use it.

I understand why you feel that way, based on your experience, but after seeing it requested so many times, and even discussed many times by a lot of different people(not just the same small handful), I still think it's worth implementing. It's not as if we'd expect LL to actually police it, they don't police any of their features/policies/bugs, without us harping on them and making them, lol. It would still be nice to have for those who want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One simple thing that could be done is to have an extra field "IsDemo" in the product listing table that set the "demo" listing item to TRUE whenever another listing references it as being the related demo item.

Then just filter that from search results so that nobody has to see it, then it's only accessible from within the actual product listing.  Not difficult, doesn't change the UI, doesn't impact on the way that merchants operate and could be easily populated for existing products with a query.

Because of these reasons, it will NEVER happen.

How long have we asked for the ability to filter only mesh, or anything except mesh based on the existing attribute in the form of a check box that has to be filled in for each listing?

Waiting a long time for that low hanging fruit to fall too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tari Landar wrote:


Jacob Cagney wrote:


Tari Landar wrote:

It used to be(in the Slex and Xstreet days) that we could gift $0l items to friends. Unfortunately, again, LL has mucked that up.

Not true. You could never send freebie through the system to people.

You are 100% incorrect. Xstreet and Slex, used to have that ability. Eventually, xstreet got rid of it too-when LL aquired it. However, this is *exactly* how I had, at one time, gifted many things to friends. I know for a fact that it was possible, because my hubby is actually currently wearing shorts that were $0l I found randomly and thought were hilarious. So I sent them to him when he was new to SL, long before he was my hubby
;)

 

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:58 am

"
1L keeps alot of girefers from doing impulse griefing...

 

at least on places like slex. thats why on this site you can not send free stuff to friends, cuz people send free stuff to people to spam them...the idea is most griefers make accounts on short notice and wouldnt want to have to load it with money...."

Note the date of the post.  It was never possible to send free items to other people through SLX or Xstreet for the exact reason noted in the post from 2007. (6 years ago)

While I am sure you are sincere in your belief that you were able to send a free item to someone at one point in your lifetime through SLX, your sincerity doesn't make you right.

It never was and never has been possible to send free items to other people through SLX, Xstreet, or the SLM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am quite certain, yes, I base that entirely on experience. I could probably go back through and see if I still have chat records about all the stupid junk me and my friends used to buy each other, not that it really matters. At the time, it was funny, well some of it was funny. That's the only reason I know it was possible. And the reason it was eliminated-according to LL, was because of the whole "griefing" thing(although, that has never been proven to BE a problem to begin with). I also remember people being annoyed when we were no longer able to do it. The only reason I remember, is because, as I said, we used to do it a lot. A rather large group of us that had come over, permanently, from a game elsewhere, used to gift newbs all kinds of free stuff from Slex. That's where my hubby got the shorts he's wearing, and yes I am absolutely certain they were $0l. I wouldn't have sent them otherwise as neither one of us had put ANY money into sl at the time, lol. I couldn't have gifted them to him if they weren't $0l, since my balance sat at $0l for over a year.

Now, some merchants CHOSE to not list anything at $0l, because they thought the ability to gift $0l items to others would become, or was, a griefer's delight. I didn't share their opinion(still don't), but apparently LL did, and does. It's their MP, so, they make those rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demos should be $0L. Charging more for a demo is just ethically wrong.

 

So what's lacking is a way to sort out freebies and flag to exclude demos, or show only demos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tari Landar wrote:

I am quite certain, yes, I base that entirely on experience. I could probably go back through and see if I still have chat records about all the stupid junk me and my friends used to buy each other, not that it really matters. At the time, it was funny, well some of it was funny. That's the only reason I know it was possible. And the reason it was eliminated-according to LL, was because of the whole "griefing" thing(although, that has never been proven to BE a problem to begin with). I also remember people being annoyed when we were no longer able to do it. The only reason I remember, is because, as I said, we used to do it a lot. A rather large group of us that had come over, permanently, from a game elsewhere, used to gift newbs all kinds of free stuff from Slex. That's where my hubby got the shorts he's wearing, and yes I am absolutely certain they were $0l. I wouldn't have sent them otherwise as neither one of us had put ANY money into sl at the time, lol. I couldn't have gifted them to him if they weren't $0l, since my balance sat at $0l for over a year.

Now, some merchants CHOSE to not list anything at $0l, because they thought the ability to gift $0l items to others would become, or was, a griefer's delight. I didn't share their opinion(still don't), but apparently LL did, and does. It's their MP, so, they make those rules.

Maybe you were using OnRez and they allowed it.  But it was never possible to send free items to others through SLex or Xstreetsl.

 

Dont believe me? Look up your purchase history for SLEx and Xstreet.  You wont find an item on there that was gifted to someone else that was free.

 

LL took over the marketplace in 2011, not 2007.  If LL had changed it when they took over, the changes would have happened after 2011, and you wouldn't see comments dating back to 2007 (less than 1 year after Apotheus created SLex) stating that you cannot send free items as gifts to other people.

Memories are faulty.  Look at all of the people exonorated by DNA who were convicted solely on the basis of "memories of eye witnesses". You might "remember" doing it, but it doesn't make it true.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Czari and @Tari: Yes, my use of the term:


Darrius Gothly wrote:

So in my experience, it's another one of those "Really Neat Ideas" that
absolutely nobody
wants or will use.

.. was definitely over-reaching. There was a tremendous amount of anger and angst over the feature, both from those hell-bent against it and hell-bent for it. I think perhaps the best description I can leave on the feature is:

"Theoretically very beneficial and useful, however in practice it leads to more problems than it solves."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...