I am totally lost now....

rannesman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3819 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have left second life for about 8 - 9 years....

and suddenly i wanted to play it again~

I logged into my account, and I felt very lost, still got some money insdie,

but most of my place bookmark and all friends are not there anymore,

so I decided to register a new avatar and start it all over again....

I feel really lost there, everything has changed...

that will be great if anyone can update me what has changed in this 8 - 9 years.. haha!

that's impossible though, I bet there are too much I have missed...

Why did you pick a new avatar? Makes no sense to me and it won't change your situation as you have seen. Also...I don't really read from your text how anybody could help with your feeling. Is it the viewer? The world? Or do you don't know what to do? (Obviously nobody can anser the last thing, because you need to know what is fun for you or what your interests are).

rannesman wrote:

that will be great if anyone can update me what has changed in this 8 - 9 years.. haha!

Ok quick update:-

Many older accounts have left, this includes all your friends.

There's a new viewer, apparently lots of non player characters around but nobody has ever seen them en masse, despite LL putting in lots of resource to make it happen.  Marketplace replaces xstreet, onrez and a few other smaller ones and provides a service but misses out lots of functions asked for by merchants and has a search like no other.  (This is because all other search functions aim at finding what you're looking for).

We have mesh for buildings and clothing but for clothing it still doesn't fit many avatars, while LL sits on a solution that they were gifted.

LL chase Facebook functionality like there's no tomorrow, that is when they actually remember the redheaded **bleep** stepchild of a product they own called "Second Life", it merely serves to distract them from playing iPad etch-a-sketch under the guise of development.

Finally, there's a new rule that requires that all new accounts need to have pixel sex within 24 hours or the account is automatically deleted so off you go.  Then again, I think this has always existed but i'm not sure.

well... I started a new avatar because...

I have too many things in my old account's inventory,

and I forgot what they are, I am too lazy to find out what I should or shouldn't keep,

also too many of the landmarks are gone, don't want to try it one by one and find them out and delete them...

it's a new thing to me anyway, so why not create a new account....

I have sent all the money to my new account though, that's the only thing I don't wanna leave that behind..

rannesman wrote:

and I forgot what they are, I am too lazy to find out what I should or shouldn't keep,

also too many of the landmarks are gone, don't want to try it one by one and find them out and delete them...

I have sent all the money to my new account though, that's the only thing I don't wanna leave that behind..

If you wanted to start over on a complete blank account you just have could deleted all your stuff + all the landmarks. That way you would have an impressive old avatar and a lastname. Sure its totally up to you, but I'm glad I got into SL before the removed the lastnames.

Yeah, there really has been a lot of changes since 8-9 years ago. Did you even wear prims on your avatar back then? You probably want to start slowly and try improving your avatar first. Skins have gotten to be really nice. Hair and clothes are made with mesh now. You have to wear alpha layers to turn parts of your body invisible and then you wear the mesh clothing on top. Shoes are mesh too. You can also replace body parts and even your entire body with mesh.

I have some sympathy for your position, but wonder why you would make it harder for yourself. I have been out of SL for 18mths to nearly 2yrs and that, in SL terms is a lifetime. I kept my Avi (this one) because so much time, energy and money was spent on her, giving her a wardrobe I in rl could only dream of, yet I find that learning to walk in a straight line is beyond me as of yet, and so I am slowly going through my inventory, getting rid of things that come attached with a 'what in god's name was I thinking'. You see to come back into SL even after a moderate time compared to yours is like setting up anew. Learning to explore again, having the confidence to wander in and out of clubs alone, where once there was someone by your side.....It is fun, it is terrifying but it is life as SL is.

All I can say to you is don't delete your old character and everything he was and could be. It is no different than you being n a coma for 9yrs to come into the world where mobile phones are the norm etc. Take your time and don't expect anything, want everything and soon it will be like you've never been away.

Rannesman,

Have you thought of just reading / taking all the beginner tutorials? So much has changed that you should just approach this as a beginner.

Second Life Quickstart

Accounts overview

Usernames and display names

Shopping in the Second Life Marketplace

The Knowledgebase is a great place to catch up.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/tkb-p/English_KB%40tkb

Go ahead and keep the old avatar alive, a note that you were in suspended animation for several years and have to do the noob thing all over again will cover it. I've a few SL friends who did this and it all worked out fine.

Remember too that really old accounts get a little weekly stipend, even if they were basic, but only if they log in at least once a week. 

Syo Emerald wrote:

rannesman wrote:

If you wanted to start over on a complete blank account you just have could deleted all your stuff + all the landmarks. That way you would have an impressive old avatar and a lastname. Sure its totally up to you, but I'm glad I got into SL before the removed the lastnames.

You and me both!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3819 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.