??? i need pro advice on best SL viewers ???

BLADEZRAVEN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi      i need advice from some ppl who have tried 6 or 7 or 8 different viewers, what do you think is the best one, i have a home pc by HP no big deal  (intel(r) core (tm) 2 duo cpu e8400  3.00ghz (wnr 2000 v3 gateway) buisness model not home i think ? 

any way i first tried  firestorm, and it was ok but then i tried official sl viewer and it was a much better experience, i am sure there are better ones out there but i just need some advice and maybe to hear your story.

Thank you very much in advance  !      =0) 

400978_470868539659526_1731820080_n.jpg

Take a look at this thread: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Why-is-it-SL-has-20-different-viewers/td-p/2310769

Your question, while a good one, is a bit like "how long is a piece of string?".   To my mind, which viewer is the best for you depends so much on what you want to do in SL.   If RLV or RLVa are important to you, then that narrows the field, and my recommendations to someone who does a lot of building and scripting probably wouldn't be the same as my recommendations to someone who does a lot of combat RP.

I use Catznip most of the time, partly because it's the reference RLVa viewer (which is important to me as someone who makes RLVa toys and furniture), partly because it's got what I consider the best implementation of outfits of all the viewers, and partly because it's got a lot of little tweaks that I like.   It also runs nice and fast on my machine, which isn't, of course, the same as yours.   It's also got a very similar UI to that of the the Official Viewer, as has the RLV viewer by Marine Kelley, which is presently more up-to-date in terms of keeping up with the Official Viewer's features.

All I can suggest, though, is that you try several viewers and see what you make of them.

BLADEZRAVEN wrote:

Hi      i need advice from some ppl who have tried 6 or 7 or 8 different viewers, what do you think is the best one...

The only real way to find out what is the best viewer for your computer and for your needs is to try various viewers by yourself. People use all kinds of computers; it is highly dependent on the computer which viewer runs the best in any one of them.

So, it's impossible to give a general answer for the question "which viewer is the best?". For example telling you what is best for me would be of no real useful information for you. Your computer might run better some other viewer than my computer does.

I can only offer my purely subjective experience :)

I had used the Emerald/Phoenix/Firestorm family of viewers for as long as they'd been around. Before that, I was a big fan of the (no longer available) Nicolaz viewer. However, I've found the recent Firestorm viewer prone to constant dips in frame rate when in busy areas. An apparently reasonable avergae fps of around 25 drops over and over into single figures, causing jittery camera movement and controls.

For the first time in years, I shopped around. I tried Catznip first, but it gave me similar probems. Now I use Singularity. There are things about it I don't like, but generally the interface is fine, and the performance issues I used to see are minimal to non-existant. So for my purposes, on my PC, it's the best.

If helps make a decision, I'm running on these specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 560 Processor (3315.11 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

Viewing on a 1920x1080 monitor, with fairly high graphics settings (ie. detail sliders maxed, advanced lighting, shadows, reflections, anisotropic filtering, 4x AA).

After using most incarnations of the available viewers over the years, I'm now back in Linden Lab's camp and using the Classic V3 Viewer [usually the most current one available in the RC] - I DJ and Chat with others as well as build & script and this serves me well.

Kelli May wrote:

I can only offer my purely subjective experience
:)

I had used the
Emerald/Phoenix/Firestorm
family of viewers for as long as they'd been around. Before that, I was a big fan of the (no longer available)
Nicolaz
viewer. However, I've found the recent Firestorm viewer prone to constant dips in frame rate when in busy areas. An apparently reasonable avergae fps of around 25 drops over and over into single figures, causing jittery camera movement and controls.

For the first time in years, I shopped around. I tried
Catznip
first, but it gave me similar probems. Now I use
Singularity
. There are things about it I don't like, but generally the interface is fine, and the performance issues I used to see are minimal to non-existant. So for my purposes, on my PC, it's the best.

Viewing on a 1920x1080 monitor, with fairly high graphics settings (ie. detail sliders maxed, advanced lighting, shadows, reflections, anisotropic filtering, 4x AA).

I had the same issue with firestorm dipping in performance and I tried other viewers and had the same problem, singularity seemed the most stable. But I have now popped some more RAM on my motherboard and now have 8Gb of ram. The lag in firestorm has gone but I am finding Singularity shuts down on me regularly, so I am back on my prefered firestorm.. (Prefered mainly because it is what I am used to).

Kelli May wrote:

I can only offer my purely subjective experience
:)

I had used the
Emerald/Phoenix/Firestorm
family of viewers for as long as they'd been around. Before that, I was a big fan of the (no longer available)
Nicolaz
viewer. However, I've found the recent Firestorm viewer prone to constant dips in frame rate when in busy areas. An apparently reasonable avergae fps of around 25 drops over and over into single figures, causing jittery camera movement and controls.

For the first time in years, I shopped around. I tried
Catznip
first, but it gave me similar probems. Now I use
Singularity
. There are things about it I don't like, but generally the interface is fine, and the performance issues I used to see are minimal to non-existant. So for my purposes, on my PC, it's the best.

I used to use the Nicholaz viewer before he quit when V2 of the LL viewer came out, then Phoenix, then searched and searched for a viewer that I enjoyed as much as Nicholaz and Phoenix.  And the winner was...Singularity!  I absolutely love it and really appreciate you giving more specifics as to why for others who ask. :)

(I'm noticing more and more people switching to Singularity lately.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.