OSX Maverick - anyone NOT having problems with SL?

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya Pussycat,

I'm not having viewer problems beyond the norm. The latest Firestorm beta isn't terribly stable, but the release version runs without too much hassle. The LL viewer seems to work as well under Mavericks as Mountain Lion. I won't say that any viewer runs nicely under Mavericks, but in my 5.5 years here, no viewer has run well on any OS. Mavericks doesn't seem to have broken anything and, beyond SL, Mavericks is a pleasant experience.

If you have Western Digital external drives running Smartware, be careful...

http://www.zdnet.com/western-digital-warns-customers-os-x-mavericks-may-destroy-drive-data-7000022800/

Hey Cat! Hubby upgraded to Maverick on his MacBook Pro and said that everythign was working as it should. He uses Firestorm, so thats not much help to you. He also said that his Nicecast streaming software worked the same. I think Im on the same iMac as you, so I might check in with you once youve tried it :P

Installed last night.

BIG download - 5gb or so. Not so bad as I have very high speed internet. But then it locked down my machine in a grey 'installing' screen for almost an hour (it said it would take longer, but sped up halfway through).

Also updates Pages and Numbers. Pages looks radically different... Remember when Microsoft screwed up the Word GUI and moved everything to new illogical locations designed to clump them together based on how often test users used them rather than how similar they were to each other?

Its like that.

But not exactly.

Pages just got rid of a lot of things. You can't even put a toolbar along the top now. But you can open a panel to the right that has all the toolbar stuff spelled out in words instead of icons now. That's actually not a bad choice - but it was a shock.

As for the OS and SL and the official viewer - no problems noticed.

Sound worked, other stuff worked. Have yet to try watching any video. For about a year now video in SL has not worked in OSX due to Flash incompatabilities... the only way around that being to hold your version of Flash back by a year, which then causes it to not work in Safari...

- And if Flash is found anywhere on your machine SL seems to always prioritize it over any other video codec...

Hoping Maverick lets me get past that, but have yet to try.

Maverick itself seems to claim most of its changes are 'under the hood' performance boosters. Things to handle memory management and processor resources on innactive applications better (people I know with Macs regularly ask me "why is my machine slowing down" and I'll go over, hit command-tab and see 100 applications running... they'll say; "but I closed all of those"... and I'll say "did you hit the red-X or command-Q?"... :) )

I have two monitors and each has a second 'view' that I can switch between. I noticed now that they switch individually and not both monitors together.

And the 'Activity Monitor' looks handy. It looks a like like the task manager of Windows, but with multiple detailed screens. You can get all of this info by going into a terminal and typing Unix commands - but in a graphical UI it updates in realtime.

But it looks like I was worried about SL for nothing. That part of things was perfectly smooth this time. Unlike back when Mountain Lion came out.

I never used Pages much, but I like the context aware tools on the right. Flash is even more of a red headed stepchild under Mavericks. It's now sandboxed in Safari because it's just too dangerous to let run wild. It still won't work in SL and I doubt Adobe is going to fix that.

I'm quite pleased with Mavericks overall. It's nice to plot a trip in Maps on my Mac, then send it to my phone. I also like being able to read my books on the Mac now. Activity Monitor has always been there, I don't recall seeing any changes to it in Mavericks.

Battery life on my MacBook Air has increased significantly with Mavericks, that's very nice. And all my Macs feel faster.

What bugs me is... how can I get SL to NOT try to use Flash?

I have codecs on my machine for normal video formats: quicktime for mp4, flash for flash / flv, etc...

I cannot seem to get it to favor anthing over Flash. I used to love using 'SL TVs', I'd set it up to stream in stuff and listen away in the background while playing about on my land. Annoying that I can no longer do that (shared media requires zooming your camera to it, and at point I'm taken out of using SL and better off doing it directly in a browser).

I'd actually be glad if sandboxing Flash is more solid, so my SL can stop trying to run it...

SL Official viewer crashes constanatly now on Mavericks.  Was stable.  Also wierd typing issues when chatting.  It starts opening windows in MAC OS unless I type a capitol letter in chat and then go back to normal then all is well.

No music in Firestorm.

Mesh uploads are ok so far.

Nov 17/13

I am using Firestorm 4.5.1 (38838) Oct 28 2013 02:01:33 (Firestorm-Beta) with Havok support and Mavericks

I am having various problems: voice does not come on, scrpts on objecs (sofas etc) get script errors, and on log in althought  I have set the prefrences properly, my favorites do not show up on the log on screen.

I upgraded all my Mac's to Maverick, and SL is giving me problems. Voice is activated but cant find my microphones. Wont registar my built in mic nor my new Razor headset mic. This is extremely frustrating. Skype and computer both recognize the mic and allows me to use it. I thought it was a Maverick only issue or a device issue but it seems like SL is the only program that cant find it. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Torrah 

I upgraded all my Mac's to Maverick, and SL is giving me problems. Voice is activated but cant find my microphones. Wont registar my built in mic either .... 

but have found out the issue and its now working ok for me 

you have to go into prefences and into voice settings on firestorm and make sure your not got default selected choose your head phones and mic  or in my case i just selected the built in input and  built in out put, it seems to have done the trick for me ... 

:matte-motes-grin:

Happy SL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Running Firestorm with Mavericks on a 2013 iMac i7 here.

- Streaming music doesn't work.

- Flash video doesn't work (only audio, with a black screen)

Something that has always happened with Firestorm, with any OS X:

- Crashes when wireless headset is turned on.

All these things are fine with the official LL viewer. Unfortunately, the official viewer has its quirks too, which make me use Firestorm nonetheless.

Bonjour  ,  

I  am  on LL  v3    and  it  s terrible   for   lagging  , crashing  but i  have  the  sound  . What  is  the  best viewer  ????

i had  trouble   with the  sound   in  general  on my laptop  but  a  repair  guy   help  me  ..  i  got it  back  ,  clean  the chip i7.

simply   do  at the   same time    (  have  to prepare   your  fingers     cause  you   have  one  second  to  do  it  ... it  took  me   6 tries  out  before   I  WAS   able  to  do it)

1.     turn off    your  mac . 

2.     preapare  your  fingers  :     all  at the  same time  :  left  hand   :  cmd  +  alt  +  R  /  right  hand :  P   "  on  "

3.     turn      on   your  Mac  (  use   your  pinky   )   and  BEFORE  YOU  SEE  THE  APPLE  APPEARED  ON YOUR  SCREEN...  you  press  all  the  the keys   and  hold  them   until  you  hear    the  sound    "  bong   "     hold  it  until  you  hear   it  3  times    than  let go.

i  recovered  the  sound  on  Itunes  ,  sl   ,  facetime    etc .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.