Sign in to follow this  
Sparrow777

Mini-me avatar?

Question

My personal advice is not to try.  Appearance in world (like in RL) is affected by both your skin and your shape.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to edit both of them at the same time.  Worse than that, unless you are a very talented artist you are limited to the skins that are available in shops.  It's a pretty sure bet that none of them look exactly like you, especially on a store model who doesn't have your shape.  Unless you have very deep pockets, you can't go buying hundreds of skins and trying them on practice shapes until you find one that sort of looks like you.  Yes, there are creators who will offer to save you all that trouble by designing a custom skin and shape --- for a hefty price.  I've seen some (and, in fact, I once paid a good friend L$1,000 to give me a head start on a better shape -- although not one that looks like the RL me).  You're welcome to try if you have the money. Most people I know who have ever tried to make an avatar look like themselves have given up, though. 

IMO, it's more liberating to let yourself look like someone entirely different.  Let yourself be slimmer, shorter, more wide-shouldered.  Give yourself a big nose and freckles.  Change your bust size and your hips.  See what you look like with brown eyes. Maybe blondes do have more fun.  It can be a great adventure in self-discovery as you explore where experiments with self-image take you.  I've been at this for 7 years now.  I keep changing my mind, and the fun never stops.

3 answers to this question

My personal advice is not to try.  Appearance in world (like in RL) is affected by both your skin and your shape.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to edit both of them at the same time.  Worse than that, unless you are a very talented artist you are limited to the skins that are available in shops.  It's a pretty sure bet that none of them look exactly like you, especially on a store model who doesn't have your shape.  Unless you have very deep pockets, you can't go buying hundreds of skins and trying them on practice shapes until you find one that sort of looks like you.  Yes, there are creators who will offer to save you all that trouble by designing a custom skin and shape --- for a hefty price.  I've seen some (and, in fact, I once paid a good friend L$1,000 to give me a head start on a better shape -- although not one that looks like the RL me).  You're welcome to try if you have the money. Most people I know who have ever tried to make an avatar look like themselves have given up, though. 

IMO, it's more liberating to let yourself look like someone entirely different.  Let yourself be slimmer, shorter, more wide-shouldered.  Give yourself a big nose and freckles.  Change your bust size and your hips.  See what you look like with brown eyes. Maybe blondes do have more fun.  It can be a great adventure in self-discovery as you explore where experiments with self-image take you.  I've been at this for 7 years now.  I keep changing my mind, and the fun never stops.

There is a way to do it but it isn't easy. Creating any skin takes refined texturing skills and that goes double for faces. This is a highly specialized skill that takes a lot of time to master and beginning efforts along these are going to be less than desirable.

With that said, here's an informative link to what you'd be getting into- https://www.xstreetsl.com/forum_archive/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=116340

ETA: there is one creator that offers this service btw, though the reviews of the work is somewhat mixed. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Your-own-mesh-head-based-on-real-look/3808405?#product-reviews  Much better imo would be to just assemble hair, skin and such that resemble you somewhat. Even judicial use of adjustments to your head size and shape would help to get "nearly" your RL appearance. 

LepreKhaun's  suggestion of using hair, skin, and shape adjustments to get an avatar that sort of looks like you is one a couple of my students used to good effect.   Using mostly freebies and slider controls they were able to create avatars that resembled themselves strongly enough that I could connect the avi to the RL student in class based on appearance.