Interviews and surveys

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all!  I study anthropology and I decided to write a paper about SL for my senior thesis!  I am conducting a survey which can be found here: Second Life Survey.  It takes about 10 minutes and is anonymous.  I also need to do interviews to get more in-depth information which, for those willing, can meet up with me in SL and we'll talk avatar to avatar.  However, I am new to SL and might need a little help finding you :D.  I would also like to know if anyone has any suggestions regarding getting this survey/interviews off the ground in SL.  Thanks!

paiget25 wrote:

Hello all!  I study anthropology and I decided to write a paper about SL for my senior thesis!  I am conducting a survey which can be found here: 
.  It takes about 10 minutes and is anonymous.  I also need to do interviews to get more in-depth information which, for those willing, can meet up with me in SL and we'll talk avatar to avatar.  However, I am new to SL and might need a little help finding you
:D
.  I would also like to know if anyone has any suggestions regarding getting this survey/interviews off the ground in SL.  Thanks!

Hi Paiget.  I took your survey. 

Also, I'll send you an IM inworld, so you can use that to locate me if you wish to follow up with questions. 

I suggest you start by looking at the information here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919 . Once you've gotten all you can from that you'll probably have some ideas of where to look for more information on your own but if you run out of links, come back and ask again. The Knowledge Base tab is at the top of the page and will take you to a wealth of information beyond just the link I posted; if you have a question for which you do not find an answer, the Answers tab (also at the top of the page) is the place to go.

Second Life takes more than a few minutes to 'learn', as in to be able to function without just being at a total loss about everything. Take a month (depending on how much time you can spend here each day—my estimate is based on an hour or two a day or a total of maybe 10 hours a week) to get more comfortable with the world.

Come back in December and ask your question again (and I bet by then you'll already have some personal anecdotal material of your own).

Second Life takes more than a few minutes to 'learn', as in to be able to function without just being at a total loss about everything. Take a month (depending on how much time you can spend here each day—my estimate is based on an hour or two a day or a total of maybe 10 hours a week) to get more comfortable with the world.

Yup, I have learned that very quickly!  SL is pretty complicated but I can only imagine how this allows it to be amazing once you've got it down.

And thanks for the responses!

It's amazing right from the start, or at least it was for most of us. That's why we're all still here. I just meant that learning some of the basics would give you a much better understanding. I hope you do spend some time just figuring things out and finding a way for you to be part of it all.

I only go on like this because your subject of study is anthropology. You've read the literature. You know the only way to study a living culture is to become part of it. Don't worry, we're not The Fierce People (even though some among us would have you believe we are: laugh at them).  Without getting all dramatic, I do believe Second Life has a culture all its own, and one I am happy to be part of.

*Added: I overstated things a little. Being part of a living culture isn't the ONLY way to study it. You can still learn by reading and dissecting comments even if  you aren't part of the culture.  You'll just have a far better chance at getting it right if you've been a part of the culture yourself, and in this case that opportunity exists.

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

The Fierce People (even though some among us would have you believe we are: laugh at them).

You're just asking for incineration, Ms. Levenque.

I think her incinerator is like Chinese food...you do it and an hour later you need to be incinerated again....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.