Full mainland region questions

Dan Doyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anyone want to offer up some pros and cons of owning a mainland region? I already own about a 1/4 of a mainland region and I intend on waiting it out for as long as it takes to get the whole region..  I know mainland has been frowned upon by some but I really would like to stay on the mainland as long as I can at some point acquire the entire region.

FYI  I am not a new resident even though it says I am Dan Doyle has been in SL for 7+ years Not sure why the tag under my name says "New"

same benefits you have owning mainland parcels, plus you no longer have to deal with the often weird shapes and sizes of those parcels.

You also have the lowest price per prim in second life.

And, depending on where it is, you may have fewer chances of getting ugly 100m, tall "privacy walls" all around your land put up by anti-social neighbours and land barrons trying to drive you out of your parcel by completely blocking access to it.

This is only my opinion.  Other people may have different pros and cons.  Many people own mainland sims and are happy with them.  Other's, wouldn't touch them.  How you will feel depends on how much control you want over your sim and what you are willing to pay for that control.

Pros:

You can build anything you want there

Its tiers are cheaper than a private region

If your sim is next to an ocean that you can sail in you get that benefit at no additional cost

You can sometimes buy land up cheap if the sim is not in a prime location.  However if your neighbors know you want the entire sim they may hold out for a better price.

Cons:

You will never own the sim, just the land so you have no access to the region tools. You must comply with the maturity rating LL establishes and can change  but you can decide that for yourself on a private region.  You must agree to and comply with LL's mainland policy in addition to the TOS vs just the TOS for private regions.

It can be expensive to acquire sims in prime locations.

Some of your neighbors may not want to sell their land and you may have a problem acquiring an entire sim.  Some land on the mainland is owned by people that bought a lifetime membership back in the early days and pay no tiers now and won't for as long as they own the land.

Your neighbors can build anything they want there, including ugly eyesores that you may hate but can't do anything about.

If the land is ocean front or next to LL owned nature areas, it may not remain so.  LL can add other sims to landlock you anytime.  There is no guarantee that so called protected water or land land will remain so.

You can't terraform much or change terrain textures

You have to make any tenants join a group, which is a problem for some vs.. estates where the land can be in their name as owners.  You just restrict them selling, and you just repossess when they leave.

The demand for rentals there is low  so you can't charge as much rent and will have more problems getting tenants, except on lots on sailable water.

You will find it almost impossible to sell unless it is in a prime location like the Blake sea. If you do sell it you have to compete with LL who sells land at 1L a sqm., and the buyer must be a premium member, which narrows your market.

I am still new to this land purchasing thing, but my understanding is that LL has huge parcels of land that are currently in "maintenance" which is either abandoned land or land that was never sold in the first place. 

It appears to me that abandoned land is listed for sale for some period of time at a price of $L1/m2 before being put into maintenance.   After a time parcels are put up for auction with a starting price of $L0.5/m2.  They aren't selling new mainland.

If you want a full sim all to yourself, and are not tied to your current sim, look at the auctions--I've seen a couple for 1/2 sim---http://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/13570/?SID=ef5ac9ed923d3687e1eb1cca8897124d is listed right now.  There is a 1024m2 of abandoned land on the same sim and a (IMO overpriced) parcel.  If you buy all that is currently available you'd have about 55% ownership.

Dan Doyle wrote:

I didn't realize that LL was / is still selling new land?? are they??

Currently they are not selling new land, only abandoned land.  That doesn't mean they won't in the future though.  In the past they have created new land and continents even at times when there was plenty of mainland available for sale. 

People will buy land on a new continent where they can get prime locations on the water at a more reasonable price before they would consider buying old mainland as most lots on sailable water are ridiculously priced IMO..  The newer mainland that LL has created has a lot more coastline to maximize the availability of waterfront land as well as sailable water.  It is one way they have of raising money.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.