Anyone having trouble sending Emails to SL ?

Marielle Caerndow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since 2 days it seems that sending emails to SL stopped working.

It first affects offline-IMs: they are forwarded to my email account, and usually I could simply 'reply' - but since 2 days my email-reply is not reaching the sender (avatar in-world).

Second problem: I sometimes send an email to a scripted in-world object - but since 2 days the mails are not reaching the in-world object.

Just would like to know if others have the same problem of emails from 'outside SL' are not going 'into SL' (neither to avatars nor to objects). I tried it with 3 different email accounts, all the same problem.

Thank you for your confirmation, Sarah.

First I thought it's just the "normal" problem that occurs every few weeks on certain mail-receiving items (as described here in example https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SCR-499 ). But this time it seems more general. Affecting all my items, even newly created ones - and email-replies to offline-IMs as well. Seems like no emails go 'in' SL at all.

I use Emails to SL almost daily, and they have been working fine for me.

I can say, years ago, I had problems, and ended up finding out it was due to my email program. SL can only accept Emails in plain text format. If you're sending emails in a HMTL format, they will be rejected. So be sure to check what format your email program/service is using.

Thank you for the tip, Darien, but  I knew about plain text/ascii-limits and always used plain text. It worked all fine since years ...until now (and didn't change anything on my mail program). Also, that the email-to-SL fails from 3 different email accounts makes me wonder.

Did some further testing by replying offline-IMs not per mail program, instead directly from the web interface of the mail provider (as plain text)...still not arriving in SL :-/

So it's working for you right now ?

Email is basically a relay service, the mail can jump from server to server until it reaches it's destination. LIkely some server along the line got backed up and held the messages.

It's rare, usually emails reach their destination within 5 minutes, but it can happen, they get delayed for days because of some server along the line doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a related issue.  I was trying to file a complaint about a griefer object, and instead I got a failed e-mail notification in my in-box in my e-mail account.

It seems that SL is trying to use DMARK e-mail verification, but it's trying to verify my e-mail address against my SL name, so of course my ISP is gonna say "No, that's not the right account" and thus the complaint got returned to sender.

People who aren't getting the e-mails they're expecting might want to check their spam filters, but that might not necessarily be where they ended up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.