why cant i put a temp texture on a multi faced piece of mesh?

Lyllianna McCallen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm wondering when they will fix the issue with this new way of loading temporary textures. I do a lot with mesh clothing, but now more and more they are creating mesh with multi-faces. Which makes it where you can't load a temp texture onto it in the manner they have it set up right now. If anyone has figured out how to get around this please let me know. It's really putting a stall on my creations because I don't care to pay 10L each time just to see if it looks right.

4 answers to this question

Here's how Local Textures work >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures

If you want to apply a local texture to just one face of your mesh object, remember to click the Select Face button next to your Texture Picker window (see the illustration ).

If you need the UUID of a local texture to use in a texture changer script, look at the little script at the bottom of that page.

Yikes!  You're applying textures to mesh objects in world??

Don't do that, unless the mesh is something like the Lolas Tangos mesh breasts, that have "appliers" to put clothing textures on them.

Mesh objects must be UV mapped, and that's done in the 3D modeling software that creates them, plus some painting work in Photoshop or GIMP to paint the texture onto the unwrapped UV template.

The texturing tools in world are totally inadequate for applying textures to either Mesh or sculpty objects.

Well, that's not entirely true. As long as the mesh is UV mapped, you can texture it in world. If you're not interested in applying an AO texture, you can drop individual textures on specific mesh faces, one at a time. That's most effective if the texture doesn't have an obvious pattern or a sense of direction --- rock or grass textures, maybe. I created a beach overlay object in mesh, for example, and dropped a white sand texture on it in world. That worked quite well.

"They" aren't likely to "fix" the "issue" with ... temporary textures because there isn't any issue that needs fixing.

Temporary textures were never a feature of the official LL viewers or system.  What LL did give us, long before allowing any sort of temporary textures, was the beta grid.  When you log in there it'll still cost you L$10 to upload each texture but since LL give you a L$5,000 account it doesn't matter.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.