What Happened to the Cars?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Viktoria Dovgal wrote:

Huh, those cars must have been more reliant on that autoreturn exploit than it appeared.

Oh, I don't think so. In fact, I saw those buses (which originally did use the exploit) rezzing in Tuliptree and maybe Satellite some time after the exploit was supposedly closed. I'd assumed they were just dropped off by other passing vehicles rezzed from her several "service station" parcels.  (On the other hand, I'm not sure the exploit is really closed yet anyway, inasmuch as there's been an up-tick in what sure looks like old-timey self-replicating griefing on some Atoll sims, at least.)

To the larger matter: I'm not jumping for joy here. For one thing, like Peter, I had a generally positive reaction to what was being attempted with those vehicles.

Technically, however, she was trying to meet requirements that simply cannot be reliably satisfied in SL. She was quite correct that nobody made vehicles do quite what she was trying to do -- but the reason was that others achieved much the same effect without all the disastrous side-effects, by simplifying requirements to something that's actually do-able.

I thought the vehicles were cool too. But up to a point.  But when you live on the mainland they start to get "old."  Especially when you ran into pile ups that she began to refuse to come and clean up.  I'm certainly not gloating over this now. 

Qie Niangao wrote:

The other reason I'm not too happy about this is a hunch I have about how LL likely handled this matter at the end, after
years
of letting it ride.

I agree with this.  Though I sometimes got the feeling that she interpreted LL's "allowing" them as meaning that they "approved" them.  At least that was my impression.

Qie Niangao wrote:

She does still have an account, however, and can get in to change her profile and parcel contents to comply with whatever the Lab demanded, so I guess the treatment could have been worse.

My most optimistic take would be that LL actually told her exactly how autonomous vehicles must behave to be acceptable and now she's off working on that.

I don't know if she was aware that LL had set standards for Automated Vehicles.  Those had been in place since July 2011, but I didn't know about them until this thread.  I'm certain if she complied they'd be allowed.   ETA:  That is NOT a Linden Lab Official page but a resident's contribution / discussion of the situation.  So my statement here regarding compliance with that page must be taken with a huge grain of salt.  Thank you Cerise for reminding me of this (message #28).

eta:clarification

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

I'm glad. I had a piece of land near one of her gas stations and it was a nonsense. All day long these vehicles were coming out! Some shot canon balls at us. They got stuck everywhere. I was convinced they were causing lag. I fought like hell to get them removed but no help then. Maybe others got sick of them. The idea was cute but the cars should not have launched on their own but been optional to ride from the stations.

I'm in the other camp - but then even though I've always lived on the mainland, I've not lived on the roadside, so haven't had the vehicles piling in on me, and I just thought it was always funny to see a bunch of them vrmmmming away on a four lane end.

However, far too many people were sick of them, and I don't know how the creator got away with touting for 100L$ for a navigation script or even more for a copy of certain vehicles. Thats the equivalent of selling in a Linden-owned sandbox, which has never been allowed.

I always felt Linden Lab used her to test things, like LL do with the third party viewer creators, and JIRA reporters and other investigator types. Free labour and all that.

I'm sure in 2008 these vehicles didn't run driverlessly all over the place either. They did, as you suggested, rezz when one requested them, from a service station, and then derezzed themselves when the driver disembarked. 

Now she has the garage on Putiki Fold sim, where people can acquire copies of some of the vehicles for free, and pay for the navigation script. Fair enough. That's what should have been happening for the past few years in my opinion.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I don't know if she was aware that LL had set standards for
  Those had been in place since July 2011, but I didn't know about them until this thread.  I'm certain if she complied they'd be allowed.

That page was stitched together by one of her non-Linden friends, and was supposed to be in support of those cars!

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I don't know if she was aware that LL had set standards for
  Those had been in place since July 2011, but I didn't know about them until this thread.  I'm certain if she complied they'd be allowed.

That page was stitched together by one of her non-Linden friends, and was supposed to be in support of those cars!

Memo to self:  Remember to read carefully.  And to remember that many Wiki pages are started by Residents.

I did notice that it lacked the "Linden Lab Official" stamp of approval so I took it as "advise."

I do need however to retract my prior statement that if she "complied with it" that her cars would be allowed.  Although I think there are some reasonable terms on that page, I don't know what LL's interpretation of them would be.

It wasn't just her cars that people complained about. She had decided that each designated Linden Road Rez Point needed at least 2 of her signs that would rez a bud for whoever clicked on it. The rez areas had autoreturn turned on but she used a self replicating script to circumvent it. All of that was done under her other account, Annmarie Oleander who seems to be no longer in search while her main Annmarie Otoole still exists.

People complained directly to her, suggested ways to improve her cars, asked for her to stop the bus signs and it was all pretty much met with a deaf ear. LL must have had a talk with her at some point as her bus signs vanished and never came back.

Her cars still rambled along, piling up in the same areas despite her assurances that they would not and those trouble spots would be taken care of once she was notified of them. Apparently she was incapable of self monitoring her cars and too damn lazy to tour the routes, make LMs of the trouble spots and take a bit of time to pop around to those spots and make sure they were clear.

Now her cars are gone and she has no one but her own defiant self to blame. I'd suggest she knew this would happen at some point and that is why it was all done on her Annmarie Oleander account.

The roads may seem a bit less lively but now I don't have to put up with a tank firing at me, massive amounts of smoke particles flooding the area and the sight of automated self pile ups that dotted the roadways.

I'm sure she could have changed up the scripting, followed suggestions and even made them less obnoxious but that's not her way.

It was a good idea gone terribly wrong.

These vehicles hindered other people from using the mainland roads by piling up at various locations as well as create eyesores on the mainland IMO.  They encroached on private land by crashing and landing there and piling up in some cases.   If this happened only rarely it would have been one thing, but it was constant. 

I'd given up trying to use the mainland roads for driving my own vehicles as I constantly ran into roadblocks caused by her vehicles piling up.  No one should be able to cause problems for other residents when they try to use public roads.

LL did the right thing pulling them.  The creators complaint in her profile about not being treated fairly is absurd.  She had years to find solutions. Good riddance IMO.

Perrie Juran wrote:

ETA:  That is NOT a Linden Lab Official page but a resident's contribution / discussion of the situation.
  So my statement here regarding compliance with that page must be taken with a huge grain of salt.  Thank you Cerise for reminding me of this (message #28).

Sorry about that.  I have corrected my original post in this thread.  *blushes*

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

ETA:  That is NOT a Linden Lab Official page but a resident's contribution / discussion of the situation.
  So my statement here regarding compliance with that page must be taken with a huge grain of salt.  Thank you Cerise for reminding me of this (message #28).

Sorry about that.  I have corrected my original post in this thread.  *blushes*

It's really easy to forget that when we go to the Wiki.

With few and rare exceptions (like ad farms) Mainland is pretty devoid of any governance.

In some ways I miss them.

Watching them manage to miss the bridge on a fairly straight road and fall into the ditch behind my home where they floundered around for quite a while, transforming back and forth from a truck/car to a boat and back again.  It seemed even odds whether they'd pop back up to the road and go on their way or try to follow the water way and get stuck in the neighbor's ban lines.

Rapidly clicking on the tanks and trojan horses collecting missile shots causing a huge smoke cloud.

After getting pushed down the road a ways by one going into edit on my vehicle and dragging myself around to block it and try to force it off the road.

I marveled at the huge pile ups of these vehicles I found and often sent the creator notecards about them.  Sometimes I'd hop into them to see if I could wake them up, most times they'd just get stuck again a short time after.

But I definitely do NOT want to see them back.  May have been a good idea but I'm seeing other driverless vehicles accomplishing pretty much the same thing with a lot less drama.

Larree Quixote wrote:

Seriously.  Where are they?  They used to cruise the mainland roads and you could just jump on and off.  They were like the taxis of Second Life.  The mainland roads are so dead now without them.  Please bring them back.

personally i'm glad they are gone..

they were on railroads and horse trails..

and anyplace  like that..not just the roads..

these were taken in may of 2012..at the Atol riding trail..i was there a week or two before that and it was a clear trail that was great for riding horses..

i haven't went back there since ..only because of those cars and trucks pushing me around and off the trail..

before i get to the tan walkway up the road another will  be coming down the trail..

it's one thing to take up one road on a section of mainland..but to take up lots of them  and riding trails  not meant for cars and railways and  to keep on expanding? bleh ..good ridence to them..

7232485624_0d0b3f42be_c.jpg

7232506624_e5afa3004e_c.jpg

I miss the concept. Maybe not the scale. I dunno - I never saw more than a few at a time, and I've had roadside mainland for most of my time in SL since 2009.

I've somehow never encountered the ones that would shoot things or particle spam, though I have seen the tanks in the past. I never found this laggy, though I did find their designs tacky - quite often they were scripted versions of very old full perm freebies.

An automated vehicle system on the roads in concept seems like a very good idea. 

There is/was a separate system from another resident that made little floating egg-shapes with seats that you could ride in, and then get a scripted chat tour of that part of mainland. These were even featured at SL9B, maybe SL8B also - I missed SL10B so I don't know.

The egg ones never went off coarse. I think because they had manually written routes - and in fact once or twice they would cross through or over private land (presumably with permission). The ones in discussion here seemed to work by guessing where the road was.

I hope the egg like ones are still around - they DO provide a service of a sort.

I will miss seeing vehicles on the SL mainland. Users of SL just don't use that resource anymore.

The concept ought to be around, even if not this specific implementation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really glad these are gone.

No one resident should be able to encroach on not only all the public roads of SL with their business, but also encroach on private lands everywhere.

It's like the Bush Guy (for those of you who remember the "Impeach Bush" signs all over SL in 2005, which were placed on small parcels of land set to ridiculously high prices, and then made to blight the view eveywhere, especially on hills and beaches. They were awful, and the issue wasn't Bush or freedom of expression, but extortion. It took the Lindens way, way too long to finally arrive at a policy about this -- it was literally years.

AMT's vehicles were from the same exploitative manual of how one person could put themselves and their business endlessly in the view. AMT used to sell those cars and the cars were a moveable free ad on public land -- finally the Lindens made her get rid of that. But she could still have the run of all the sims. Why? Because Lindens wanted to promote road use, especially as they improved them, and didn't want to look like they controlled user content.

But they piled up on some land, they crashed into things and got stuck, and they were always "off topic," i.e. a bus would go on water, a car would go on the railroad.

It's much better when real people drive the cars and you can socialize with them and compare notes. You can still take trains, there are some great ones, if you want to tour Second Life.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Dyzo wrote:

any full perm versions of cars around?

Thankfully not!

Actually they are.

Not these ones. But all of those cars came from some very popular free full perm kits NOT made by AMT. You can get regular driveable versions of them easily. These won't be the ons that drive themselves, but they will look the same. So some people might 'react' at the sight of them... :)

In some of the auto-pilot cars not even a single texture was changed...

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.