Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser Metaller

Hacker on Rampage on SL

So,why nobody is talking about that guy who is hacking whole communities on SL throught Skype and changing theyr info,billing theyr accounts for thousands(i.e 100k) and posting theyr personal pictures on a blog plus handing theyr accounts to randoms who visit his blog? I find it surprising that I do not find a post after he hacked alot of communities so far,furries,star wars roleplayers,military community... I had to even block half of my skype due that and its being a big deal around.

Tip: Don't accept any item sent to you throught skype,you will find it surprising how much people fell for this and believe me you won't be wanting your personal things posted there...

It`s idiotic users going rampage worldwide accepting anything and everything *clicky clicky clicky* that get infected without using their brains or commen sense and refuse to spend a few bucks on a good virus scanner while spending tons on their stupid gadgets and then complain.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

It`s idiotic users going rampage worldwide accepting anything and everything *clicky clicky clicky* that get infected without using their brains or commen sense and refuse to spend a few bucks on a good virus scanner while spending tons on their stupid gadgets and then complain.

Are you kidding me? Thats a stupid way to look at it. When they get this file is usually from a friends skype account, theres nothing idiotic about it, they accept it thinking its a friendly file from there friend. Also most virus scanners can't detect it till its launched.  I know about 15 people that got hacked by this, and there not stupid, they fell for a trick that anyone that does not know about this skype virus can fall for.  Why don't you use your brain and not assume that everyone that has been hacked are "idiotic users". kthanxbai.

Kaiser Metaller wrote:

So,why nobody is talking about that guy who is hacking whole communities on SL throught Skype and changing theyr info,billing theyr accounts for thousands(i.e 100k) and posting theyr personal pictures on a blog plus handing theyr accounts to randoms who visit his blog? I find it surprising that I do not find a post after he hacked alot of communities so far,furries,star wars roleplayers,military community... I had to even block half of my skype due that and its being a big deal around.

Tip: Don't accept any item sent to you throught skype,you will find it surprising how much people fell for this and believe me you won't be wanting your personal things posted there...

I was involved in the thread Dillon referenced.

And what really puzzles me is how many people I saw were infected.

I do know that there is no 100% perfect Anti Virus but that such a common exploit is getting past people's Anti Virus puzzles me.  Especially when the exploit has been around so long.

Is the hope of naked photos overcoming any good sense all these people may have?  Now, I don't know for a fact that is what people are expecting when they are getting infected, but from what I saw on the Hacker's web sight, that is an activity many of the people who have been hacked have been engaging in.  Sharing and getting naked RL photos.

Nothing wrong with naked photos.  I can enjoy them also.  But I don't go loosing my good sense over them.

Atleast not an enough idiot to have been infected in years, comparing that level with infected people and me being online since the birth of the internet, you sure sound more stupid then both me and the infected people combined.

Clicked something you shouldn`t have clicked that it`s a touchy subject for you? heh

Leslie Trihey wrote:

Nope never done it myself. Just sick of people making exuses for this hacker, that LL hasn't done a god damn thing about.

Well I don't know any one who is making excuses for this Hacker unless you call my puzzlement over how many people he has burned "making an excuse' for him.

But what exactly is LL supposed to do?

They have NO control over Skype.

And after he has someones password what is LL supposed to do?  From what I saw on his web site he is smart enough to know how to spoof his IP and his MAC Address, etc.

So how is LL supposed to know when it is him when he logs into someone else's account?

I'm not on his side, don't get me wrong here.  But the other side of this story is that each of us individually is responsible for keeping our computers secure.  And each of us when we agree to the ToS agrees we are responsible for keeping our passwords secure and that we are responsible for any actions taken with our accounts.

Yes, it's a frustrating situation.  I'd hate if it happened to me.  Sometimes life just sucks.  You do what you can do to warn people and then move on.

Solar Legion wrote:

Newsflash kid - Linden Lab CAN'T do anything about it.

Linden Lab does not own Skype - complain to Skype's owners.

People who click faked links and random pictures they get send unasked also believe LL can do ANYTHING (even if its not their business and the fault is sitting in front of the computer). :matte-motes-big-grin:

Leslie Trihey wrote:

Nope never done it myself. Just sick of people making exuses for this hacker, that LL hasn't done a god damn thing about.

facepalm smiley.gifSince this happens on Skype what can LL do about it? 

Leslie Trihey wrote:

I know about 15 people that got hacked by this, and there not stupid...

Can any of them spell "they're"?

The thing is, while your main point - that there is an evil **bleep** hacking accounts - is valid, the rest of what you're complaining about isn't.

• We see a thread every day complaining about stuff that is not a LL/SL problem
  • We see at least a thread a week from people who think it's someone else's fault they don't know how their computer works
  • Almost every rant in these forums is from people too inexperienced with SL to even realise LL doesn't read this.
  • Failing to notice a pretty massive thread just makes your "OMG - WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING ABOUT ...?" look lame
  • Why SHOULD we, anyway?  I didn't even mention it at all down the pub this evening.
  • Semi-literate posts are marked down.  Try a bit of grammar or use your own language.  (True, most of us will skip a non-English thread but if you want a post to be taken seriously, make it look like you wanted it to be).

Why do people come here to complain about the fact that there are idiots on Skype? Why not complain to...what is it, Microsoft own them now?

And free tip - don't take sweeties from strangers either.

Or gift horse dental work etc

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Leslie Trihey wrote:

facepalm smiley.gif
Since this happens on Skype what can LL do about it? 

Thanks Amethyst, had the exact thought and proves my point.

how are peoples accounts getting hacked anyways?

are they being sent  a link  that ask's them to log into someplace with their sl information?

LL doesn't even know users  passwords..

i'm curious how they are getting into the accounts?

i don't use skype myself..i dumped that back in 2006 or 07  when i learned it was pretty easy to get hacked from it..

i guess that worked out to be the right choice..

but that was about computers gettign hacked and not sl accounts..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

how are peoples accounts getting hacked anyways?

are they being sent  a link  that ask's them to log into someplace with their sl information?

LL doesn't even know users  passwords..

i'm curious how they are getting into the accounts?

i don't use skype myself..i dumped that back in 2006 or 07  when i learned it was pretty easy to get hacked from it..

i guess that worked out to be the right choice..

but that was about computers gettign hacked and not sl accounts..

See the link in Dillon's post, comment #2.

I can't say with100% certainty what is in the file, but it appears the hacker is sending a keystroke logger via Skype.

LL can do nothing about what he is doing on Skype.  Nor can LL do anything about the hackers web site.

This hacker just about does not need his own SL account anymore with all the info he is gathering over Skype now.  All he needs to do is log in with the compromised SL accounts.  There is no way for LL to know before the fact (before it has been reported) that an account has been compromised.

This hacker has got people by the proverbial balls. 

It would take getting Legal Authorities involved to track him down but I suspect from what I saw on his web site that he may be located outside the U.S.  Because this hacker has compromised multiple SL accounts (based on the documentation on his web site) maybe LL would get involved.  But there would still be very little LL could do other than reporting him to the authorities.  Of course you'd have to get LL's attention on this first.

Kaiser Metaller wrote:

maybe these people need to get intouch with LL to have the accounts suspended if possible?

especially if they have payment info on these accounts..

i would hope they jumped on that first thing..

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Leslie Trihey wrote:

The thing is, while your main point - that there is an evil **bleep** hacking accounts - is valid, the rest of what you're complaining about isn't.
  • We see at least a thread a week from people who think it's someone else's fault they don't know how their computer works
  • Almost every rant in these forums is from people too inexperienced with SL to even realise
    LL doesn't read this
  • Failing to notice a pretty massive thread just makes your "OMG - WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING ABOUT ...?" look lame
  • Why SHOULD we, anyway?  I didn't even mention it at all down the pub this evening.
  • Semi-literate posts are marked down.  Try a bit of grammar or use your own language.  (True, most of us will skip a non-English thread but if you want a post to be taken seriously, make it look like you wanted it to be).

I like your style. :)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Leslie Trihey wrote:

• Almost every rant in these forums is from people too inexperienced with SL to even realise
    LL doesn't read this

I like your style.
:)

I so agree :D

prize.jpg

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Leslie Trihey wrote:

LL doesn't read this

I like your style.
:)

I so agree
:D

prize.jpg

You find the best artwork!!! Love it!!!

so, if they are sending a keystroke logger and you have the vieweer and firefox save our passwords they cant get them, right? Kick a$$ for laziness!!

Leslie Trihey wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Are you kidding me? Thats a stupid way to look at it. When they get this file is usually from a friends skype account, theres nothing idiotic about it, they accept it thinking its a friendly file from there friend. Also most virus scanners can't detect it till its launched. 
I know about 15 people that got hacked by this, and there not stupid,
they fell for a trick that anyone that does not know about this skype virus can fall for.  Why don't you use your brain and not assume that everyone that has been hacked are "idiotic users". kthanxbai.

umm.. in the other thread that you responded in 8 days ago you said

Leslie Trihey wrote:

Wow only one thread on this? People should be worried about this more then they are,
I have reconized at least 23 people on the list
, and there latest attack they just charged 100K lindens to someones account. There outing personal information and using friends skype accounts against people to get that information.

Did 8 people recant?