your experience selling DEMO versions

Chocolate Pizzaro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I'd like to get some of your feedback on the whole demo version thing.

In my own experience, I haven't seen a single client buy the demo version and the full version. It seems the customers who buy the full version just go for it without trying the demos, and the ones buying the demos don't buy the full version

Weird no ?

In my case we're talking about shapes - the demo version is of course no modify and has abnormally large hands, arms.  I'm thinking of dropping the demo versions if that continues

What do you think? what's been your experience

Yes, though sometimes not immediately they do.  How far back are your tracking? I believe if you open your database to a larger area, then you will see that many are returning and buying.

The same thing happens when I have an inworld store open.  They come and see it in the store but buy from MP so it gives the illusion that an in world store is a waste of time though when I close my in world store, my MP sales go down.

Shopping to get ideas is common, then at a later date they ether have enough lindens or they make the decision to buy, which will skew your information unless you use a longer sampling period to evaluate.

It can be several weeks to months between my taking a demo version and even trying it on.  Then, if I like it, I'll buy the real  version  ... often on the marketplace, because I'm standing NAKED in my skybox trying on several dozen things.

So unless you are tracking across marketplace and in-world, over a period of several months, you aren't going to see what's going on.  Because I could look like a demo-only customer OR a full version only customer if the window is too small.

I don't sell demo items of our InteractiveWear clothing in the Marketplace. I do however sell demo versions for L$1 via in-world vendors. The only difference between the demo versions and regular versions is that the demos could be only worn once. Experience shows that about 50% of customers buying demos then buy a regular product either via the same vendor or in the marketplace, however it does not happen immediately and sometimes many weeks may pass before they buy the regular product.

No free Demo no buy is my motto.

so put out a free demo and the right sizes and such and sure I'll peak at it. 

Now if you charge for your demo's,  I'll pass on you. 

Also some creators love to be annoying with there demo and add 500 things to make sure people know it's a demo,  mark it on the fabric, I dont need a spinning, firework shooting sign over my head when trying to show friends. 

/rant off

• 2 weeks later...

Demos for anything more than $OL is a ripoff.

Do you get charged for trying clothes on in a store in RL?
Then why do some merchants think I should pay up to $100L to try out their demo?

My latest burn was trying out my new jacket for $1L.... looked fine. Then spent the $150 for the full version, and discovered that the creator had masked an alpha hole under the right arm (by making the demo create a pose that lifted  up the right arm to hold a 'logo' item, that actually covered up the hole with the arm).

Not very nice, slimey tactic.

I left a nice review.

Imagine that. 1) charging for demo product 2) using AO animation scripted into demo to cover up faults.

There are some creator where I already know their quality and if I know that they create well to a size that's close enough to me and I can tell that the size won't be a challenge for my shape, then I sometimes just buy without the demo.

If the style is one where I might have to compromise my shape to a large extent then demo first.

There are also some items where the demo is cute enough that the way they texture it with "demo" subtley on the rear pocket just makes it look like a cute brand.  I'll just wear that too :)

Chocolate Pizzaro wrote:

Hi

I'd like to get some of your feedback on the whole demo version thing.

In my own experience, I haven't seen a single client buy the demo version and the full version. It seems the customers who buy the full version just go for it without trying the demos, and the ones buying the demos don't buy the full version

Weird no ?

In my case we're talking about shapes - the demo version is of course no modify and has abnormally large hands, arms.  I'm thinking of dropping the demo versions if that continues

What do you think? what's been your experience

Same for me. I think i need bigger demo worded boxed lol.

though I am currently and for over 4-5 yrs now affiliated with my imvu avatar whom I love due to my simplified virtual life experiences there,such as in what is my dressing room where im aloud to click try or buy, when I click try, it dresses my avatar with desired product be it clothing land building...via anything with in the entire catalog..and multiple products at once to get as good a feel as I want for as long as I need to...and then simply click the off or x on pics below of products being featured below button of undesired product there by it is cut clear that this is exactly what I am going to do.thereby because of these simplifications as well as my experiences over the years I prefer to even in real life to do my research prior to engaging in transactions and this is how I landed on this page replying to this message because and  I had  sometime ago created an avatar account here to  simply trying out second life and remember feeling that and in my opinion it  appeared slightly more endepth/complicated and  not as simplified/cutclear as imvu's client thereby needed to spend more time researching playing around with it to become more familiar with it...in short whereas here I am years later attempting again having lost my old account it is still unclear to why i was stukk haing trouble retrieving my old account/ info..recreated a new account to find that I need to install something still unclear why in order to bring up visuals...demo's were unclear to me and what initially came to my newbie mind was wow...whats going on here with the fact that firstly its called a demo means of course to try yet im allowed to purchase it for 0 dollars? wow I thought this must me somekind of new promothion thing where the seller is allowing me to buy it thereby making it free to me!..to pull me in to there shop or products to buy more products...so initially im thinking this item I going to be mine...and that this is why it s promting me to buy...there is this small unclear message that is being sent across I believe...due to the fact that we all are not necessarily dum maybe nieve however don't think alike...so this way of trying on thing is unclear as to why it has to be done this way at all...why cant I just try on the product with out this unclear notion that im buying it for 0 dollars it should be made clear upfront what this process actually means all newbies such as myself will not research demo feedback purchase this item and possibly think they own it only to later find out the facts later and possibly become disgruntled about this whole process matter and choose not to buy ...moreover not knowing that this was a version ...I did not not this....further more will be disfigured if they don't read this page...I should be able to try yoiur product on right there in your shop and take it off right there in the store and not go through even more non simplified /more complications in this matter. my is questions is why is this going on?...lovelylioness4u3 @ imvu.com 

LionsListDotCom wrote:

. my is questions is why is this going on?...lovelylioness4u3 @ imvu.com 

Just gonna snip everything, because that was a bit rough to read. But, I can answer this part.

Why is this going on?

Because this is sl, not imvu, and the two are more different than they are alike. You really cannot compare them, there simply isn't enough alike between the two for that. Their only main similarity is that they are both virtual worlds. It sort of ends there, though. While yes you can chat, make things, explore, etc.. in both. How we manage doing that varies so greatly it just knocks that similarity right off the map.

Take the market, for example. In sl you have two ways to purchase..inworld, or on the marketplace. We do not dress ourselves in the same way you would in imvu. That is only one, of many, differences that put the two nowhere near each other. We have inventories in sl, not quite the same thing as the, well the easiest way to put it is "closet" or "catalog" even that imvu has. Anyone who reads demo and does not realize what a demo is, ALWAYS has the opportunity to ask someone what a demo is. It's ok to not know, but it's rarely wise to assume. They can ask the merchant selling, or really, anyone. Most people, even new ones, do know what demo means. It's a trial, of sorts, just as you'd find in rl. You get to "try" something to see if you like it. This is why most are free, or cost $1l. They're marked as demo, in some way, shape, or form. How they are marked varies depending on what the item is. Some have a time restriction-in that case you can use that item for a specified amount of time, to see if you want the full version or not. Clothes usually have something on them marking them as a demo. Again, that is to allow you time to try something, see if it suits your needs, without having to pay for a full product. Shapes, typically have very large hands and feet, because it's the least important part of the shape for most people and you can get a very good idea of what it will look like on you if you decide to buy the full version. Skins, are marked the same way clothing is. Marked well enough to show they are demos, but not so much that it affects being able to really look at the item.(or the important parts of the item, that is)

There is nothing at all wrong with offering demo items. In fact, most people prefer them, especially for things like clothing, hairs, skin and shapes. Because you just don't know how they'll look on you. The "characters" in imvu are NOT the same as they are in sl. We are so widely varied, it's unreal. There can be millions of combinations when it comes to one's shape, even skin. This isn't quite the same for imvu-though the appearance can vary widely as well, it's not quite as wide as it is in sl. So what looks good on one avatar, may not look good on them all. What fits one avatar, may not fit them all. So, it's wise to know what does and does not look good on you, before buying it. This is especially important when it comes to a lot of mesh clothes. Again, the clothing in imvu and the clothing in sl, do NOT work, or even look, the same. Even the whole core coding of HOW they work, isn't remotely the same.

In sl, you have to physically try items yourself, rather than having a "catalog" of sorts pop up to try it for you. That's just how sl is made. I don't think it's nearly as complicated for most people as you described it being for you. That's not me saying anything bad about you. A lot of sl can be very confusing, especially when you're comparing it to another virtual environment and expecting similarities. That said, I don't think most people have a whole lot of difficulty with demo items. Some might the first time or two they try, but they seem to get the hang of it pretty quickly. There are a lot of places one can go for help if they do get confused, though. There are these forums(though highly underused), blogs, the sl wiki, groups inworld, even locations inworld made specifically(or at least mostly catering to) new folks. There are really a LOT of resources for help. The problem is, people don't go looking for them. They are not hard to find, at all. So, if you find yourself having difficulty understanding something, it's always a good idea to ask someone. Even just random people inworld may be of good help, or can point you in the right direction at least. Sl overall, is chock full of nice people who don't mind helping when needed. Imvu can be just as, if not moreso, confusing for people that are new. But it's also a LOT less advanced, a LOT less complicated in it's functionality overall, and there is a heck of a LOT less to learn. I sort of think of imvu as more plug and play-you can figure things out very easily, but how it functions is pretty basic, whereas for sl you need to read the instructions, as there's a lot more involved. Perhaps not everyone, but I do think it would serve everyone well to read them, either just after joining, or even before. It makes things a lot easier. That said, everyone in sl is always still learning, because it's unlike what most have probably participated in before.(be it games or another virtual environment)

There are products that are NOT a demo, and are full version, but are free. There are plenty of those around too, and they are very easy to find. But, when you see demo, you should ALWAYS assume it is a limited use product. As in, just something for you to try and see if it will suit your needs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.