why doesn't the new second life viewer work with Sox rather yet with my Mac

alezz Luik

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi Alezz,

I think we'll need more information to determine what your problem is. I have a one year old iMac and all the popular viewers seem to run okay with it. Firestorm locks up sometimes and Flash video doesn't play in any viewer, but otherwise I'm not having any more trouble than normal.

Come back to edit your question (via "Options" over on the right) and give us more information.

Good luck!

Rolig, there is a tab in the "Security and Privacy" panel of "System Preferences" that allows the following selections...

Allow apps downloaded from:

Mac App Store

Mac App Store and identified developers (default)

Anywhere

One could select "Anywhere" to enable execution of things like SL viewers, but that's not advised, as it's then too easy to accidentally launch potential malware.

A Mac's default behavior on double clicking an unknown app is to throw up a warning dialog saying that the app will not be allowed to run. By right clicking that app and selecting "Open" rather than double clicking, you get a dialog requesting an admin username and password to mark the application as runnable. Once that's done, the app forever after launches without issue. A subsequent downloaded update will once again require authorization to run.

So, when a Mac person says their Mac won't let them run a program they're certain they wish to run, suggest they right click it, select "Open", then provide the credentials to launch it and mark it as safe to run.

Authorizing the first launch of an unauthorized app does effectively whitelist it, and that is a per-program method. But there's no central place where you manage app authorization (although the "Privacy" tab of "Security and Privacy" does allow centralized control of app access to location data, contacts, calendars, reminders, etc). I'll argue that the Mac does app authorization the right way, bringing the authorization mechanism to you when you need it, rather than forcing you to hunt for a whitelist to add something. If there's a downside, it's that there is no collated whitelist to remind you what's on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.