Bought Items have been disappearing from my inventory, clearing cache doesn't help. What can I do?

Leona Velde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Recently, all my recent purchases have been disapearing from my inventory and I cannot locate them anywhere. I tried typing in the search in my inventory for fast results and nothing. Tried searching, manually(scrolling), nothing. Tried restarts after purchases, nothing... Nothing seems to fix this issue I apear to be having, now if it's SL or the viewer I'm using, I just don't know in where the issues root lays. Clearing of cache does nothing for it either. Then, obviously going to all the creators of my bought items for sending me another copy of my purchase isn't fair to them. I need to resolve this once and for all.

Another issue that has kicked up along with this one is freezing often, crashing during a freeze, textures black out, and pixels become thicker... Not sure if it's all due to same issue or if they're two separate ones. So please, this is really frustrating to deal with, I can't really walk around SL or cam around without crashing 5 times over. If anyone has solution or possible leads...?

2 answers to this question

I am cold, wet and tired so this isn't as full an explanation as it should be but it should get you going until someone types something better:

All the symptoms you report indicate that your internet connection can't handle SL.  If you're using a wireless connection change to wired.  You may also want/need to reboot your router.  If all that fails then a clean install of the viewer may work, if it was ever working for you before.

I agree with Peter that you have all the symptoms of a lousy Internet connection, including corrupted local inventory cache.  If you are lucky, you may be able to rebuild the cache if you do it "manually", not by clicking the Clear Cache button in Preferences.  Here's the procedure >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

In my opinion, the most important sentence in that procedure is the one that says, "While inventory repopulates, do not teleport anywhere, and do not attempt to access anything in your inventory."  Be patient.

Now, I did say, "If you are lucky ... "  Inventory cache doesn't get corrupted by itself.  If your connection is as bad as it sounds, the corruption probably occurred as your viewer was trying to download updates cache.  It may happen again, even enough to prevent you from being able to get an uncorrupted file.  I suggest reading a couple of basic articles on improving performance and troubleshooting your connection.  They are both rather technical, but important reading.  Until you know exactly where your connection is having trouble, you won't know how to repair it.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-improve-Viewer-performance/ta-p/1316923

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.