Your top 5 wishlist for SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1. Do weekly restarts at off times when not many people are on at the same time.

2. Allow anti griefer patrols by groups like the Green Lantern Corps.

3. Make things more friendlier and easier for new people that would improve their expierience on SL.

4. Make it easier to cash in L$ for real money.

5. Make it easier to cross over sim's perticurly in the Blake Sea.

I arrived here in 2008. I had zero experience in multi-player online anything. This whole idea was new to me. It wasn't long before I fell very deeply in love with it, and more than five years later that love persists.

I think that more than anything Second Life needs more people to come here and stay. If that 'stop by and sign up' to 'come back and give it a try' ratio could somehow be moved even a little bit past  40,000:1 (I did not look up the data; I"m just making that number up. I do know it's extremely bad) things would be a lot better

I know that more new people deciding to stay here would have a tremendously positive effect on almost everything in Second Life, commercial and social. There would be more people buying land/renting. More people in clubs. More people buying merchandise in shops and on MP.

All of the resources to teach new people are already there, many of them in duplicate or quadruplicate. The only task is to make sure the newbies actually see the tutorials. I realize that's not easy. I realize that involves a lot of people spending a lot of paid hours (although the Second Life community has helped with this in the past [Mentors] and I know would be a big resource, if only LL would ask).

Anyway, my Top 5: things new residents should know:

1: Know how to save and wear an 'outfit'. Remember resisting changing something on your avatar because you were scared to death you couldn't get back to the original if you screwed up?

2: Know how to open a box and copy the contents to inventory, and know how to actually wear items thus copied. That includes knowing how to see if a location will allow rezzing.  So often I see absolute newbies being told to 'look for a sandbox' so they can 'rez the items'. Huh? What's a sandbox? What does rez mean?

3: Understand that purchased shapes (not counting mesh avatars here) are just variations on the same shape everyone already has. I went almost a year assuming that while I could alter my shape with sliders, the purchased shapes I saw were all made from scratch. That doesn't mean buying a really nice shape from someone who has taken time to get all the dimensions right and done the work isn't worthwhile, but it's helpful to know that the basic template is the one in everybody's inventory.

4: Know about griefers. Second Life was my first venture into an internet environment that included more then one actual human, so griefers were a new phenomenon. A new visitor should be told that they exist and have an idea of how to defeat them (that is: pretend they don't exist).

5: Know what 'Home' means, and how to identify places that can be used for 'Home' on login and how to change your login settings from 'last location' to 'Home' once you've found a place to use. Know how (and why) to log into Pooley or whatever the best reasonably safe place is these days.

ps: I forgot to mention that a great many people in this thread included helping newcomers in their wishlists; I know I'm not the only one with this idea. I just went with it because my biggest wish is that SL stick around and this was my best idea on how to make that happen.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

2: Know how to open a box and copy the contents to inventory, and know how to actually wear items thus copied. That includes knowing how to see if a location will allow rezzing.  So often I see absolute newbies being told to 'look for a sandbox' so they can 'rez the items'. Huh? What's a sandbox? What does rez mean?

Top tip for opening boxes - which a lot of oldbies don't know, but should - you can "wear" the box even in no-rez areas.  That lets you then edit it and extract the contents.  Remove the box and wear your new clothes/attachments ;-)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Top tip for opening boxes - which a lot of oldbies don't know, but should - you can "wear" the box even in no-rez areas.  That lets you then edit it and extract the contents.  Remove the box and wear your new clothes/attachments ;-)

You're right, that is a top tip (which I only learned about by seeing it discussed in the Forum) and especially useful for newcomers since they're the ones most likely to be trying to open boxes in a no-rez zone.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

You're right, that
is
a top tip
(which I
only learned about by seeing it discussed in the Forum)
and especially useful for newcomers since they're the ones most likely to be trying to open boxes in a no-rez zone.

And you are right to acknowledge it is a top tip.   It's a shame you didn't mention SLA as tips like this are offered every day by the helpers... even the helpers without a designated red pin.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I arrived here in 2008. I had zero experience in multi-player online anything. This whole idea was new to me. It wasn't long before I fell very deeply in love with it, and more than five years later that love persists.

I think that more than anything Second Life needs more people to come here and stay. If that 'stop by and sign up' to 'come back and give it a try' ratio could somehow be moved even a little bit past  40,000:1 (I did not look up the data; I"m just making that number up. I do know it's extremely bad) things would be a lot better

I know that more new people deciding to stay here would have a tremendously positive effect on almost everything in Second Life, commercial
and
social. There would be more people buying land/renting. More people in clubs. More people buying merchandise in shops and on MP.

All of the resources to teach new people are already there, many of them in duplicate or quadruplicate. The only task is to make sure the newbies actually see the tutorials. I realize that's not easy. I realize that involves a lot of people spending a lot of paid hours (although the Second Life community has helped with this in the past [Mentors] and I know would be a big resource, if only LL would ask).

Anyway, my Top 5: things new residents should know:

1: Know how to save and wear an 'outfit'. Remember resisting changing something on your avatar because you were scared to death you couldn't get back to the original if you screwed up?

3: Understand that purchased shapes (not counting mesh avatars here) are just variations on the same shape everyone already has. I went almost a year assuming that while I could alter my shape with sliders, the purchased shapes I saw were all made from scratch. That doesn't mean buying a really nice shape from someone who has taken time to get all the dimensions right and done the work isn't worthwhile, but it's helpful to know that the basic template is the one in everybody's inventory.

4: Know about griefers. Second Life was my first venture into an internet environment that included more then one actual human, so griefers were a new phenomenon. A new visitor should be told that they exist and have an idea of how to defeat them (that is: pretend they don't exist).

5: Know what 'Home' means, and how to identify places that can be used for 'Home' on login and how to change your login settings from 'last location' to 'Home' once you've found a place to use. Know how (and why) to log into Pooley or whatever the best reasonably safe place is these days.

ps: I forgot to mention that a great many people in this thread included helping newcomers in their wishlists; I know I'm not the only one with this idea. I just went with it because my biggest wish is that SL stick around and this was my best idea on how to make that happen.

I'm chuckling away at the moment, remembering my first encounter with a griefer, who drove into my apartment, which was actually on Noob Island.  I shall never forget Donny in his car. My knight in shining armour told me to teleport across to his warehouse while he heroically dealt with the griefer (he caged him apparently).

I think if I'd known about griefers from the get go I wouldn't have really understod it, and it might have put me off bothering to enter Second Life. I think I've been really lucky on the whole.  That first griefing attack actually shook me up enormously, I went into instant panic mode. Barking mad really, as I knew my arse was firmly planted on the most uncomfortable typing chair out here in real life, and yet that dude zooming round my sofa in his cartoon car made me feel totally invaded.

But that initial couple of weeks is still hard for newbies coming in, and does need improving. The Greeter Island sims seemed to be successful. Anyone who had bypassed the tutorial, champing at the bit to get going with their Second Life, naturally got stuck doing the basics, so being able to click one "help" button that took them to a sim full of helpful Helpers seemed a good idea. They were quite likely the most populated sims inworld too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.