SL Enquirer AVIE POLL: Is Second Life just a Game or Is it an Extension of your real life?

Glossom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Glossom wrote:

Hello all,

Is Second Life just a Game or Is it an Extension of your real life?

Please give us your opinion. The responses will be included in a article for the SL Enquirer at

Thank you for participating

Glossom Resident

Are you sure that's an either/or question?

;-)

Yes and no.

ETA:  I just noticed my response could be read as a direct reply to the OP, as in yes to the first part and no to the second. That is not the case. I was replying to Maddy's 'are you sure' question, not to the OP.

While you can play lots of different games in SL, SL itself is not a game but a virtual world. 

SL has no goal, there are no points or prizes, no rules of play, no competitors.  These things only exist in the context of what you set for yourself or agree to in a game or contest you voluntarily enter into inside of SL.

On the other hand in SL you can do most everything you can do in RL, including work, create real art, have all kinds of relationships, serious learning and education, participating in support groups or serious discussions etc, none of which are part of a 'game'. 

Those that think life is a game may think SL is one though, and people that are 'players' and gamers tend to think it is too, but that's because that is what they use it for. 

Glossom wrote:

Hello all,

Is Second Life just a Game or Is it an Extension of your real life?

Please give us your opinion. The responses will be included in a article for the SL Enquirer at

Thank you for participating

Glossom Resident

What a naive question.

We are all real people sitting at the keyboards.

OK, the 'real' might be questionable.

But someone is doing the typing.

Then again, in some instances it may be the Avatar controlling the person.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

SL itself is not a game but a virtual world.

Does that mean I should stop killing newbies and looting them?

You could get a group together and explore some dungeons to find some tresure, gold and gems.

Neither nor.

More specifically:

- SL isn't a game by any definition. If it were I wouldn't be here.

- Second Life is a second life, not an extension of my first one. I'm quite content with my first life, thankyouverymuch, so I'm having a totally different one on SL.

Simply stated, SecondLife allows me to expand my life options. Case in point, I am not a DJ in real life. Here in SL I am a DJ and I get to practice Music Therapy both for myself and my audience.

I also own and lease parcels on my 2 lovely islands. I especially enjoy spending time with my SL friends who I would have never met except for the serendipity of SL.

:D

It is a balance between second life being a complete second life and simply being an extension if my first life. It is a hard call to make, am I my avatar? Is my avatar me? Do I have a split personality? I guess I will just have to settle for saying that my avatar is another facet if my personality.

By definition SL is not a game; it has no defined rules, goals, or conclusion. Some argue - and rightfully so - that it is becoming more video game-like as we loose the ability to be self expressive, pursue unhindered experiences, and "own" what we create. That still does not make it a game, just a repressed virtual landscape where the unpaid work and skill of many make a few people very rich.

Aside from that, SL is an extension of my RL self in that I see it as a creative hobby and means to socialize in a different way than Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. Facing reality head on, its pretty cool I can bump pixels in-world without messing up my hair and having to lock the door after a guy disappears! ;) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.