INVITATION TO MEET FROM UCCSL TO RODVICK HUMBLE AND PETER GRAY

Elia Melodie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

.. How about you contribute to the main goal of the thread and express to us
how you feel about the central issues
?

Although at times I find it so much fun, I hate to nitpick with you now, Darrius.  Is there more than one issue? The only issue ...  If so, then shame on me for not following along. 

Regarding that one issue, I DGAF.  I hit "I AGREE".

It does not mean I trivialize what is happening...

In considering your response--from the first line up to where I whacked--I 'felt' was nothing but fluff; it is not worth a response.  However, if you think a response has value then isn't it you that is lobbing grenades; playing semantics; diminishing the effort; getting emotional? 

I'm not getting emotional, however I am defending other's rights to BE emotional.

But the most valuable portion of your response was this line:

Storm Clarence wrote:

I pretty much assumed that, but I'm glad you were up-front about it. Now, since you DGAF, how about you pitter-patter off to another thread where you do GAF and leave this one alone.

Thank you.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

.. How about you contribute to the main goal of the thread and express to us
how you feel about the central issues
?

Although at times I find it so much fun, I hate to nitpick with you now, Darrius.  Is there more than one issue? The only issue ...  If so, then shame on me for not following along. 

It does not mean I trivialize what is happening...

In considering your response--from the first line up to where I whacked--I 'felt' was nothing but fluff; it is not worth a response.  However, if you think a response has value then isn't it you that is lobbing grenades; playing semantics; diminishing the effort; getting emotional? 

I'm not getting emotional, however I am defending other's rights to BE emotional.

But the most valuable portion of your response was this line:

Storm Clarence wrote:

I pretty much assumed that, but I'm glad you were up-front about it. Now, since you DGAF, how about you pitter-patter off to another thread where you do GAF and leave this one alone.

Thank you.

LOL.  Really, LOL. 

PS No.

Storm Clarence wrote:

ETA Where is Hippie when you need him.  Perhaps he can translate for you.

FORE!

He is too busy role playing the white knight on the feeds, in between copy/pasting quotes from the internet. Multitasking ain't his thang.

The

United

Content 

Owners

of

Second Life

now that has a ring to it..and sounds a bit more to the point..

since you don't have to actually be a creator to actually own IP rights..

and because the TOS change was written for content IP rights owners..

just my $0.2 that won't be able to get you a cup of coffee nowadays anywhere..

hehehe

That's true, the issues reach much further than content creators, for many forms of property in many mediums.

There is VIPO, which is more generic.

I thought perhaps Citizens Against Legalized Pirates, or something similar but nothing quite gets the point across that the ToS is like a 10 pound suppository inserted with a croquet mallet.

Here is an excellent article writen by Kylie. http://simstreetjournal.wordpress.com/creators-rights/digital-property-rights-in-second-life-times-have-changed-by-kylie-sabra/

The first paragraph where she mentioned Phillip's words gave me creeps...We are now so far from what he said in these times... so far ..... it seems that it was centuries ago.

Btw, Philip is no longer part of LL board, that's official. Its probably not related but it doesnt surprise me either.

ya i had a thread a little while back on his high fidelity project..

I'm looking so forward to that..

you can tell he is not around anymore..he's really not done much with SL since the last time he came back as CEO..

but that was short lived..

i can't wait for high fidelity to get off the ground and rolling..i'm soo there when it does..

So Kylie Sabra from the UCCSL group got an answer yesterday from Peter Gray.

here it is :

Email from Peter Gray, Director, Global Communications, Linden Lab
Received October 24, 2003

Dear Kylie, et al,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your group’s concerns and have seen others express similar concerns as well.

We greatly value Second Life’s content creators, whose collective contributions help make the virtual world the vibrant experience that it is today. We remain committed to providing Second Life as a platform on which residents can create and profit from their creations. This philosophy is central to Linden Lab, and is something that we are ultimately seeking to extend to all of our products and platforms. Accordingly, the revision to our Terms of Service was made in order to further extend the ability for content creators to commercially exploit their intellectual property through user-to-user transactions across Linden Lab’s other products and services (including our distribution platform, Desura), not just within Second Life.

We believe that it would be more fruitful to avoid further debate of the assertions made to date regarding the intent and effect of our updated Terms of Service, and instead focus on whether there may be an approach to address the concerns that have arisen in the community, while also ensuring that our policy remains applicable to our other products and services, and without reverting to the prior wording.

To that end, we are currently reviewing what changes could be made that would resolve the concerns of Second Life content creators, specifically protecting content creators’ intellectual property ownership while permitting Linden Lab to, among other things, act as an agent of content creators (such as yourselves), licensed to sell and re-sell such content.

We are optimistic that we will be able to arrive at a mutually agreeable and beneficial way forward, and ask for your group’s continued patience as we work to do so.
Best
Peter

Elia Melodie wrote:

United Content Creators of Second Life

The UCCSL

October 21, 2013

Rodvik Humble, CEO

Peter Gray, Director, Global Communications

Linden Lab Headquarters

945 Battery Street

San Francisco, CA  94111

VIA: Email & SL Forums

Dear Sirs:

The United Content Creators of Second Life is a group of residents and content creators, in both the commercial and artistic communities, who share concerns regarding the August, 2013 Terms of Service, specifically Section 2.3. To resolve these issues and concerns, we ask that you sit down and meet with the UCCSL Council.

Please contact Kylie Sabra in world to set a time.

Warm regards,

The UCCSL Council

(this has been also sent via email and no we are not trying to do like the bots who spam for sex in dubai. we think that is enough important for being posted in several subforum for Rodvik finally see and answer us. thank you for understanding)

How cute.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

thier date is messed up on their email..

it's 2013 not 2003 hehehe

What do you expect from someone in LL Marketing - accuracy?

It's probably concocted using the same cut and post techniques as exemplified by most of the brainless responses in Answers, using boiler-plate segments from the www.howtobeanamateurlawyerwithaddedincompetence.com website.

© The Judge

jujmental wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

thier date is messed up on their email..

it's 2013 not 2003 hehehe

What do you expect from someone in LL Marketing - accuracy?

It's probably concocted using the same cut and post techniques as exemplified by most of the brainless responses in Answers, using boiler-plate segments from the
website.

© The Judge

what does LL have to do with the recieving date of an email they sent out? Oo

• 3 weeks later...

Agreeed with the reason exposed by UccSL.

The new tos risks really to be a bad exploit for your intellectual property: the part where they say that they could take your product and even resell parts of it lets you puke.

It seems also that they're washing their hands against cb attempt cause also in the 2.3 it says so:

[....Linden Lab has no obligation to monitor or enforce your intellectual property rights to your User Content, but you grant us the right to protect and enforce our rights to your User Content, including by bringing and controlling actions in your name and on your behalf (at Linden Lab’s cost and expense, to which you hereby consent and irrevocably appoint Linden Lab as your attorney-in-fact, with the power of substitution and delegation, which appointment is coupled with an interest).....]

This seems to be a way that they found to cover their Beeeeeeeppp. Why Well I am not blind and many of you are not either, maybe my mouth has less breaks than others. So if you go around you could se whole Games CD ripped exploited and brrought in SL .One for all the most used is Skyrim but also some games for Cars and bikes.Whole houses and furnitures.

There are some medieval games where you could see this a lot, also some of those  items ripped sold with a license that pretends to be real one,with subscriptions and registrations out of sl (like to say a stolen itel of class LOL) .

The questoion is how could an item stolen from a pc game pretend to have a license in SL. If the bEtesda games for example would come in SL and start a legal action agains t that , don't you think that SL would be in huge problems?

Don't forget also all those renderosity aficiodos, all those downloade and imported models had and have copyrights!!!!

that's why prolly they don't want to monitor or enforce the intellectual property.

The first part howevcer wouldn't be that bad I mean if they take our items and use them to check how good or bad they could be, if they delete the part where they say that they could resell even our items.

For istance if they could do this with any toool scripted tools that are sold in SL this would be a good way to prehevent future attempt like REDzone was.

This is what the tos 2.3 point says about this:

[...Except as otherwise described in any Additional Terms (such as a contest’s official rules) which will govern the submission of your User Content, you hereby grant to Linden Lab, and you agree to grant to Linden Lab, the non-exclusive, unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and cost-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, sell, re-sell, sublicense (through multiple levels), modify, display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any media, software, formula, or medium now known or hereafter developed, and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed, and to advertise, market, and promote the same...]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.