Sign in to follow this  
AmandaKeen

Looking To Be Accepted Reguardless of Avatar or Second Lifestyle?

"The Acceptance Project" is an open-enrollment Second Life group whose goal is to allow networking between people who want to be accepted in Second Life as the -Avatar- in which they choose to present themselves.

TAP membership is open to anyone who agrees to be accepting of the lifestyles others choose in Second Life, be they Furry, Gorean, Roleplayer, BDSM lifestylist, Transgender, Cross-Gender, Draconian, Gay, Straight, Alien, Demon....whatever.

Our premise is that for some people, Second Life is an opportunity to be and do what Real Life has denied them. SL offers an opportunity for residents to overcome Real Life disabilities and disadvantages and be accepted on the same plane as anyone else. Through TAP, members can network with other people who are willing to accept them as they choose to present themselves, and without bias based on real life status.

If you are looking for a social network based entirely on your second life perspna, a place where people will not delve into your Real Life or look askance at you because you choose to march to the beat of a different drummer, we really want you with us.

We have no agenda except to provide networking and support. We're not out to oppose anyone who chooses to see Second Life as as an extension of Real Life - but we do want to offer an accepting environment for any who seek ine.

Feel free to look TAP up in groups or message me (Amandakeen Resident) up inwould for a full notecard.

AmandaKeen wrote:

"The Acceptance Project" is an open-enrollment Second Life group whose goal is to allow networking between people who want to be accepted in Second Life as the -Avatar- in which they choose to present themselves.

TAP membership is open to anyone who agrees to be accepting of the lifestyles others choose in Second Life, be they Furry, Gorean, Roleplayer, BDSM lifestylist, Transgender, Cross-Gender, Draconian, Gay, Straight, Alien, Demon....whatever.

Our premise is that for some people, Second Life is an opportunity to be and do what Real Life has denied them. SL offers an opportunity for residents to overcome Real Life disabilities and disadvantages and be accepted on the same plane as anyone else.
Through TAP, members can network with other people who are willing to accept them as they choose to present themselves, and without bias based on real life status.

If you are looking for a social network based entirely on your second life perspna, a place where people will not delve into your Real Life or look askance at you because you choose to march to the beat of a different drummer, we really want you with us.

We have no agenda except to provide networking and support. We're not out to oppose anyone who chooses to see Second Life as as an extension of Real Life - but we do want to offer an accepting environment for any who seek ine.

Feel free to look TAP up in groups or message me (Amandakeen Resident) up inwould for a full notecard.

I am curious about the genesis of this group.  Is there a widespread perception that most residents in SL want to delve deeply into the RL of others?  Aren't we all able to pick and 'enforce' our boundaries? 

AmandaKeen wrote:

There already exists a place where people can be accepted as the avatar "in which they choose to present themselves."

It's called "Second Life".

Despite that slogan, segregation is hardly unknown in SL; many places bar relatively common portrayings such as children or pretty much any non-human forms, and race / species aren't exactly unheard of reasons for strained tolerance, either.

Now adressing the OP: what piqued my curiosity about this proposal is the possibility of a perfectly 'common' human avatar, no particular distinctiveness whatsoever, appearing among such a wildly diverse crowd. Would he / she be accepted just as easily? It's been my experience that sometimes, where diversity is welcome and even sought to such lenghts, someone displaying none (at least visibly) might actually be looked down upon for that very reason.

I never try to look beyond someone's avatar.   What someone presents as in SL, be it male, female, drow, dragon, furry.. that's what they are, as far as i'm concerned.   If they want to share with me anything about their RL, that's fine, but I don't ask and I keep anything I am told in complete confidence.

Most people in SL are like that, I find.

Ren Toxx wrote:

Despite that slogan, segregation is hardly unknown in SL; many places bar relatively common portrayings such as children or pretty much any non-human forms, and race / species aren't exactly unheard of reasons for strained tolerance, either.

Now adressing the OP: what piqued my curiosity about this proposal is the possibility of a perfectly 'common' human avatar, no particular distinctiveness whatsoever, appearing among such a wildly diverse crowd. Would he / she be accepted just as easily? It's been my experience that sometimes, where diversity is welcome and even sought to such lenghts, someone displaying none (at least visibly) might actually be looked down upon for that very reason.

Not sure what you meant by 'that slogan'.

To your point: yes, there are places that discriminate against classes of avatars: kids, furries, vampires, etc. But they're just places, and can easily be avoided. I don't see it as an issue.

As to your question: I visit a few places on a regular basis, about half of which are associated with one group of friends and half with the other. The predominant avatar type in both places is human (although there are furry avatars in both groups). I'd have to think the predominant sexual orientation in both groups is somewhere to the left of heterosexual, but there is certainly no 'looking down' upon anyone who presents as a basic heterosexual human

Maybe I've just been lucky in the people I've met, but in my experience with Second Life communication and friendship has much more to do with the person at the keyboard than the avatar.

i'm totaly agree with you. But some people not respect and understand that and  pushing you to give them some RL data because for them SL and Rl is the same. I told 'em that's their choice  and have to respect everyone choices but they insist and the only way deal with it (for me) is walk away. if they found you and still...click the mute button.

OK, I understand now.  Your OP was just an advert and your intention was not to engage in a discussion regarding the topic you introduced. 

Enjoy your day.

Back from a real-life interruption (darn RL)

The intent behind TAP is to allow people to network with others who share a common approach to SL, not to protest anything or "raise awareness".

The reality is that there are folks in SL who *do* care about other people's Real Life status - just based on the number of groups and Personal Profiles that cater to "voice verified" avatars.

TAP is for those of us wo really don't care because we have no interest in "jumping to real-life" with anyone we meet inworld.

That doesn't mean we can't be great friends/others in SL.....but it does mean that TAP members are probably a lower risk-factor when it comes to concerns about someone trying to invade your RL pricacy :-)

Honestly, over the years a lot of people in SL have become way to pushy in regards to RL info, some people even put in their profile that if you don't share your RL or "prove" who or what you are in RL then don't even bother messaging them for even a chat.  I mean, come on, that is silly and way extreme.  You can't even just talk to someone because you are so paranoid that the avatar in front of you isn't the same sex in RL?

When I first started SL, not on this avatar but my original one way before this one, people could really care less about RL info, you were taken at face value even if you were standing there as a dragon. lol  People were more interested in having fun, enjoying your personality, your intelligence, your sense of humor or emoting ability than they were about what sex you were in RL.

When it gets so bad people don't even want to hold a conversation with someone that won't "verify" who and what they are it just shows SL has gone down hill in how most people relate to each other now a days in my opinion.  A lot of people that put "voice and/or cam verified" or  "I am the same in RL as I am in SL" in their profile come off as if they think they are "better" than those that don't.  Personally, I just click the X and close those profiles because they sound like stuck up, paranoid, probably homophobic hypocrital sheep that love to follow the newest profile trend and no way in h*ll will I hop on skype to chat with that type of person.

I don't care if your male, female, TS, TG, sissy, dog, cat, horse, etc in RL.  I enjoying getting to know who you are on the inside, that is what counts overall.  So, yes I think something like "The Acceptance Project" is a neat idea and I can't wait to check it out.