secondlife ready for steam?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Oh that's interesting.  Thank you for posting that, Grif.  I hadn't paid any attention to it but I recall the "closed to public view" jira issue came right on the tail of SL (allegedly) being on Steam.  There was some forum talk back then wondering how the Steam board would like to see all the complaints from SL users.

I'm lost too Karen.

• Steam is a distribution platform - so what, I download from LL with no problems
  • Steam provides a community - I already have SL chat, profiles, feeds, these fora and any number of blogs, etc.
  • Stead allows multi-player - er, yes, last time I looked so does LL

What am I missing that makes Steam interesting?  The idea of streaming from the cloud was found to be a non-starter so I take it Steam wouldn't offer that.  So what?

Zacly!

And to  add to that, what would we get from Steam? Probably For sure LL's own viewer, a viewer only a minority of residents are using anyway. But nice to see how the lab is again following a wrong path and placing their bias  on irrelevant crap.

Oh I'm not advocating it; in fact, I was one of the vocal opponents of SL being listed on Steam when the "buzz" first came out about it a year (?) ago or so.  My position was that we would have even more people than we do now saying, "I don't understand how to play this game," and/or the more hardcore gamers that want to level up to the max quickly and then go to the next cool "game."  Back then I was viewed as hating on gamers which, considering I am a gamer of sorts, wasn't true.

Just find it interesting that there have apparently been some "glitches.  IIRC SL *was* listed on Steam for awhile.

SL holds new people very well, thank you very much.

Whether it would hold the typical Steam user is another thing entirely, and the answer is quite possibly NO (the typical Steam user seems to download tons of things on trials or free versions, then delete after a few days).

And of course, the typical Steam user is interested in games, often pvp centric games, that set specific goals to be reached often through combat. SL isn't that.

The typical Steam user is also young, younger than the typical SL user who's required by the TOS to be >18 years old (or >16 with restrictions to G rated content only).

As to enabling it, LL'd have to integrate their account database with Steam's, and that's the biggest hurdle of course. Not only different data being stored, but more importantly different countries and thus different laws dictating the sharing of that data, which is probably the biggest hurdle that'd have to be overcome (and what about duplicate data, people who have SL and Steam accounts...).

I was trying to find the thread where I was accused of hating on gamers because I didn't think SL being on Steam was a good idea.  Haven't found that one yet, but here is one of the threads on the subject - as you can see, some people thought this would be a great idea, others not so much.  I continue to hold to my belief it isn't (or wasn't) a good idea, of course now that the issue is "on hold" it's a bit of a moot point.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/SL-expands-to-STEAM-and-improves-graphics/td-p/1637955/highlight/true

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.