Is there a way to send an auto response message when I am offline?

Fred Allandale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am going to be away from SL for a little while and want to send an auto-response message to IMs while I am offlilne, to advise my customers of my possible delay in responding.  Is there a way to do that?  The autoresponse message freatures in the popular viewers only work when you are online.

1 answer to this question

Unless you want to create a bot for that purpose and then have the bot handle all of your normal IM traffic, no.  You have at least two problems:

1. A LSL script can send IMs, but it can't receive them, so there's no way to build a scripted device that intercepts IMs and responds to them. 
  2. Your "in box" can only hold 25 IMs before it is capped and rejects any later ones.

One solution is to create a message box that a customer might click in your in-world shop.  Depending on how it's scripted, your box might simply tell your customer that you aren't in world, or it might let the customer leave a typed chat message or maybe a notecard.  That doesn't help if you are selling through Marketplace, but you might provide a "customer service" e-mail address and a polite note that says that the customer may have to wait up to 5 days for a response.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.